What does "conejos de Avila" mean in this context?

Grammar & vocabulary, learning it, etc.<br>
Gramática y vocabulario, aprenderlo, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Eli

Post by Eli »

hmm not knowing were he used it, this is just a guess.

Cono means cone, however, it is likely that he wrote coño with the little squiggly line above the 'n', that would be an expression similar to 'bloody hell'.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Vince!

Yes, the word you're looking for is the second one Elí mentioned: "coño." That would be pronounced "con yo" and it's commonly used among some of my relatives.

We've had a discussion of coño here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=569#569

--------------

¡Bienvenido, Vince!

Estoy seguro que la palabra que buscas es la segundo que mencionó Elí: "coño". Esa se pronuncia "con yo" y está empleado mucho por algunos de mis parientes.

Hemos discutido la palabra coño aquí:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=569#569
gabitones

Cunnus

Post by gabitones »

It's a very useful word in spoken Spanish. Not very polite, but very common. It comes from Latin: CUNNUS, that means the same as in Spanish. If you want to know more about the latine origin of spanish sexual vocabulary you can visit this page. [http://www.culturaclasica.com/erotico/lexico1.htm]
If you speak Spanish or have a Spanish dictionary and some time, it could be interesting.
SoccerGreg03

Post by SoccerGreg03 »

Hey cousin vince, its greg, my mom sent me a link to this to look at and after reading i felt like i would have a little bit of input for the site since i just got back from spain a few months back and spent more than enough time immersed in the culture, especially the youth culture who use slang the most. While the word "cono" (can't find the n with the ~) does have a literal meaning to be pussy or cunt, it is more commonly used as like an exclamation sort of like how in english we say "dude." Dude in its modern sense is like buddy while in its original meaning is a bit negative (something like somebody who dresses overly flashy). So, it all depends on the context of the word, and i'd say 9 times out of 10 does NOT mean pussy or cunt. it is funny for an english speaking person to translate spanish phrases word for word (like on the other post, "de puta madre"). hope that input helps a bit.[/img]
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

It's probably used differently in different contexts. I'd certainly expect it to pick up different meainings in youth culture. I'm glad to hear what it means for contemporary kids.

My first experience with the word was when an elderly shop keeper who said "coño" while hitting my hand with a yard stick because I was touching one of the things she was selling. I've also heard older people use it as an exclamation, sort of like "Jeez..." Or "I can't believe it!"

Hmm. Come to think of it, almost all the people I've heard use it were elderly. So my experiences with "coño" are probably limited to that age group.

-------------

Probablamente se utilice diferentemente en diversos contextos. Ciertamente, esperaría que tuviera diversos meainings en la cultura de gente joven. Me alegra oír lo que significa para los chavales contemporáneos.

Mi primera experiencia con la palabra era cuando una comerciante vieja me dijo "coño" mientras que golpeaba mi mano con un palillo porque tocaba una de las cosas que ella estaba vendiendo. También la he oído usado por los ancianos como exclamación, de modo de "Madre..." o "¡No puedo creerlo!"

Um. Pensando más sobre éste, casi toda la gente que he oído usarla era mayor. Entonces, probablemente mis experiencias con "coño" estén limitado a esa categoría de edad.
Last edited by Art on Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
pepe buylla

Post by pepe buylla »

My grandfather and father used that word quite a bit. Even my grandmother used it on occasion. I would take the meaning to be something like "What the hell?..." or "Jesus Christ almighty!...", but never a reference to anything sexual.
Elena

Post by Elena »

"Coño" is a ord with several meanings.
Here in Spain we used so much to indicate its real meaning ("coño" is the malsonante word to name the vagina of a woman) as to complete phrases as a phrase he is like yours "fuck" it is worth for everything.

"Coño" es una palabra con varios significados.
Aquí en España la usamos tanto para indicar su vedadero significado ( "coño" es la palabra malsonante para nombrar la vagina de una mujer) como para completar frases a modo de muletilla es como vuestro "fuck" vale para todo
Bob

Coño in overhear conversation

Post by Bob »

When I was in Xixón I overhear a group of young women at an outdoor café. They were howling with laughter as they discussed an Italian woman they knew who was learning Castillian, and used "con yo" for "conmigo". "Con yo" of course, sounds like "coño."'
Last edited by Bob on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
is

Re: Coño in overhear conversation

Post by is »

Bob wrote:When I was in Xixón I overhear a group of young women at an outdoor café. They were howling with laughter as they discussed an Italian woman they knew who was learning Castillian, and used "con yo" for "conmigo). "Con yo" of course, sounds like "coño."'
That's funny about the Italian woman. My mother had a friend from Chicago living in Madrid who never really learned Castilian Spanish. She would not make gender differences and so was heard at the butcher's asking for a polla instead of a pollo. Or so the butcher heard, with raised eyebrows.

For those interested in coño usage, in West Asturias you will often hear the exclamation: ño! It's mostly older speakers of Galician and West Asturian. The exclamation ño! also indicates surprise and comes from the same Latin word (cunnus) mentioned earlier, except they cut it short. I have no clue how it came to be. I just know it's pretty damn funny when they do it.
Joniwrite1

Slang

Post by Joniwrite1 »

And again I am surprised at my 89 year old Wela's language:) She had 12 children and many grandchildren, and the word con~o (haven't mastered the ~ either) slipped over her dear lips many times when the boys got into mischief. I didn't know it's meaning, but her expression and forceful tone let me know that I shouldn't ask:)

Thanks for the insight!
Joniwrite1
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I've combined this thread with the earlier discussion of coño so everyone will be able to find them both.

I encourage you to read the earlier messages, because you'll get a good sense of Asturian thinking about cursing. It's bawdy, sometimes bordering on irreverence. I've often wondered if it was meant to be provocative, a means of adding a little fun and excitement to life.

While this form of speech may not be universal, it does seem to be the norm. In the earlier posts, you'll see that Asturians tend to be proud of this piece of their culture!

As for how to use Spanish accents, this message will help you:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=280

-------------------------

He combinado este tema sobre coño con lo anterior para que todo el mundo será capaz de encontrar a los dos.

Os animo a leer los mensajes anteriores, porque así vais a tener una buena idea del pensamiento acerca del uso de tacos en Asturias. Es subido de tono, a veces rayana en la irreverencia. Siempre me he preguntado si es adrede provocativo, un manera de añadir un poco de diversión y emoción a la vida.

Si bien esta forma de expresión no sea universal, parece ser la norma. ¡En los mensajes anteriores, verás que los asturianos tienden a estar orgullosos de este pieza de la cultura!

Sobre cómo usar los acentos españoles, este mensaje te ayudará:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=280
Indalecio Fernandez

Post by Indalecio Fernandez »

Se encuentran dos tipos por la clae y uno le dice al otro. -Acabo de leer que los asturianos de cada tres palabras, usamos dos "tacos". -¡Coño, no jodas!
Daniel Cibrian

Post by Daniel Cibrian »

hay unos cuantos tacos tipicos del oriente que no, vi igual se me pasaron por alto. cagon tou o completo e me cagon tou lo habiu y por haber, cagon diosla, cagon ros, cagon en mi mantu, cagon en hasta en dios, me cagon la mar sala, castron(puede ser tambien un saludo), cabron(puede ser sinonimo de gallu o de eres el puto amo), estoy hasta los guevos, estoy hasta los cojones, cagon la puta, me cagon en hasta san blas, cagon en hasta la puta que me pario... estos son algunos de los que mas se utilizan
Indalecio Fernandez

Post by Indalecio Fernandez »

Return to “Castilian Spanish - Castellano”