Partido de nacimiento: Federico Menéndez Argüelles 1911

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

a.bremerj

Partido de nacimiento: Federico Menéndez Argüelles 1911

Post by a.bremerj »

Hola todos,

Estoy tratando de encontrar el certificado de nacimiento de mi abuelo, Federico Menendez Arguelles. Nacio en Asturias, pero no sabemos donde exactamente. (perdon, mi espanol no es muy bueno!)

Su padre se llamaba Celestino Menendez y su madre era Felisa Arguelles (Felisa puede ser "Felicia" o "Felisia" tambien)

Nacio en Enero, 11, 1911 (creo)

sirvió en el ejército en Espana durante la guerra civil. (Como puedo obtener certificados militarios tambien?)

Y puedo llamar los registros civiles en Asturias? Sabes cuanto tiempo tardarán en encontrarla?

Por favor, si alguien me puede ofrecer ayuda, sería muy apreciado!!! :-)

Me gustaría obtener nacionalidad española a través de la ley memoria. Pero no tengo mucho tiempo encontrar el certificado!

Por favor, ayuda me! :-)
--
Amanda
a.bremerj

My grandfather's emigration history

Post by a.bremerj »

Hi everyone,

my grandfather, Federico Menendez Arguelles, was born in Asturias, though I don't know exactly where -- trying to discover that at the moment!

He served in the Spanish civil war on the side of the Republic and fleed to Cuba soon after the war had ended. In Cuba, he became a citizen and later married my grandmother, Isabel. They had my mother in 1958 and later escaped to Miami, FL after the Revolution in Cuba.

Currently trying to gather more information about him as he wasn't really a part of my mother's life and my grandmother divorced him shortly after she was born.

Now trying to get Spanish citizenship and it's been a long mission trying to locate his Spanish birth certificate without knowing his exact birthplace! :-(
--
Amanda
a.bremerj

Civil registries question

Post by a.bremerj »

Hi all! :-)

Does anyone know if I can call the civil registries in Asturias in order to locate my grandfather's birth certificate? I know he was born in Asturias but no one in my family knows exactly where in Asturias.. So I was thinking of calling all the registries to see if they find something..

Do you know if they usually answer the phone or how long it would take them to search for it?

Any help or further information would be so greatly appreciated!! The deadline to apply for Spanish citizenship is fast approaching and I've had no luck!! :-(
--
Amanda
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hello, Amanda,

Please keep all of your messages about the same topic in the same thread. As the image I sent to you earlier explains, you should use the "post reply" button, and not "new topic". I've moved your messages into this one thread.

Do you know when Federico immigrated? Did he work in the zinc industry?
Please see this message for other ideas that might help us:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2409

I've asked a friend who is an Argüelles about this surname in case she knows somethig about it.

You're going to need to know where he was born to find the birth certificate. But it's possible we could make a good guess about where he was born if we have more info.

---------------------

Hola, Amanda,

Se ruega mantener todos los mensajes sobre el mismo asunto en el mismo tema o hilo. Como la imagen que te envíe antes explica, se debe utilizar el botón que dice "publicar respuesta", y no "nuevo tema". He movido tus mensajes hasta este hilo.

¿Sabes cuando Federico emigró? ¿Trabajó en la industria del zinc?
Por favor vea este mensaje para otras ideas que nos pueden ayudar:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2409

He preguntado a una amiga quien es un Argüelles, por si acaso sabe algo sobre este apellido.

Hay que saber que dónde nació para encontrar el partido de nacimiento. Pero es posible que podamos hacer una buena suposición acerca de dónde nació si tenemos más información.
Raquel M

Post by Raquel M »

Hi!
Do not worry, you need to go to your nearest Spanish Consulate and
make an appointment before December 20 ( I am not sure if it is the
20th or the 24th) you go with all the documents that you have like
your birth certificate, etc and you open your case and you will have
time to find the other documents.

You may write for his military records:

Archivo General Militar de Segovia
Plaza Reina Victoria Eugenia s/n
40071 Segovia
Espana

phone 921 46 07 58
fax 921 46 07 57

Hola!
No se preocupe, usted tiene que ir al consulado Espanol que tenga mas
cercano y pedir una cita antes de Diciembre 20 ( no estoy segura si
la ultima fecha es el 20 o el 24) usted lleva a la cita todos los documentos
que tenga, como su inscripcion de nacimiento, etc y asi abre su caso y
usted tendra despues tiempo de encontrar los documentos que le faltan.

Para la informacion militar puede escribir:

Archivo General Militar de Segovia
Plaza Reina Victoria Eugenia s/n
40071 Segovia
Espana

telefono 921 46 07 58
fax 921 46 07 57
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Amanda, to obtain a birth certificate you can write to every registry of Asturias, but take in account that a number of ecclesiastic and civil registries burn at the war. I think the most important at this moment is the year of birth, and you can also write to the Catholic Church.

Relative to the Army Archive, take also in account that your grandfather fought in the contrary side of winners. He could be part of the regular Spanish Army (the Republican one), but also an irregular combattant, a voluntary of the many militias. In this case it is more probable that your grandfather was included as a sort of political delinquent in the Causa General, and included in the Franco's Army and Police archives in Salamanca. Unfortunately at this moment is very difficult and slow to do a consultation in these archives, the physical repartition of them between the Army archives in Ferrol (Galicia), and the recently moved Police and Falange archives to Catalonia included (yes, surrealistic, but this is the result of the non interest of the Asturian authorities).

Resumed, try to obtain more information abour the concrete place of birth, this can short the work.

Regards.
a.bremerj

Post by a.bremerj »

Thank you very much for your help!

I'm going to try to call every registry in Asturias and see if they can find something.. I recently discovered a website, Zertifica.com , that finds Spanish birth certificates but the rep told me that in order to perform a scan of the entire province of Asturias, it would cost me 592 Euros... about 1100 US dollars.. is this standard rate or overly priced? It seemed very expensive to me.

Also- are the civil registries known to answer the phone?

Thank you again for your advice!

my grandfather left spain shortly after the civil war ended (around 1939) and then went to Cuba where he met my grandmother. My mom says she thinks he was a banker in Cuba, but we are unsure what he did for a living in Spain before the war.

Do you guys think there is hope for me to find the certificate?

Amanda
--
Amanda
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Amanda, the price fixed by Zertifica.com does not seem very expensive if you think about the difficulties of this particular case, a lot of people searching. This depends on the interest you have. However, if you know the concrete place all services obtained directly from the Administration or the Catholic Church are for free. Your problem at this moment is only the short time.

You can call to the registries, but take in account the time (not only the Spanish horary, but also the work time, in the morning) and the language, search for some friend that speak well Spanish. Some of them have e-mail address, but this can do the think less speedy. Another time, if you know the concrete place, only telling the year, you can obtain a birth certificate from the central Civil Registry, at the Ministerio de Justicia, via e-mail.

Regards.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

One of our members has written this to me:
[trans. Art] I've looked at the post that you told me about, and I don't recall anyting about the family, but they have provided very little data. Note that in Asturias the Argüelles surname is quite common. The areas of origin are mainly Noreña, Llanes and Meres [Art: I've corrected my note based on Carlos' message below.]. On the AsturianUS forum, there are many allusions to the name, I even think I remember that Carlos once wrote an extensive article on it. Sorry I can not help more.
You'll find the messages that talk about "Argüelles" if I you type this search phrase into a Google search box:
site:asturianus.org argüelles
Or this one to see if you can find the message by Carlos:
site:asturianus.org argüelles carlos
(The first one is a better bet.)

------------------------

Un miembro me escribió:
He mirado el post que me indicas, y no me suena de nada la familia, aunque disponen de muy pocos datos. Ten en cuenta que en Asturias el apellido Argüelles es bastante comun, las pricipales zonas de procedencia son Noreña, Llanes y Meres. [Art: He corregido mi nota basado en el mensaje de Carlos a continuación.] En el foro AsturianUS, hay bastantes alusiones al apellido, incluso creo recordar que en una ocasión Carlos colgó un articulo bastante extenso. Siento no poder ayudar mas.
Encontrarás los mensajes que hablan de "Argüelles" si escribes esta frase de búsqueda en una caja de búsqueda de Google:
site:asturianus.org argüelles
O este otro para ver si puedes encontrar el mensaje de Carlos:
site:asturianus.org argüelles carlos
(El primero es más seguro.)
Last edited by Art on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Art, solamente una aclaración: no hay confusión en el mensaje de quien te escribió. Meres está en el concejo de Siero y no tiene nada que ver con Mieres, son dos lugares distintos.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

¡Gracias, Carlos! He corregido la nota.
---------------
Thanks, Carlos! I've corrected my note.
Raquel M

Post by Raquel M »

Amanda, I have the answer for you...you said your grandfather left
Cuba after 1958 and came to the USA...sooo you need to go to any
search company in the internet and they have all the records!
Ok, go to www.google.com and then type your grandfather's name
and the city and town he lived in the USA, then you are going to see
some names, then you see the note " if you need the voter's records
or more information" then you go to that place and you pay a small
amount and you see all the records for that person you are looking for,
they have everything!
You can also find the records of all the Cubans that have entered the
USA, you just need to know the year and the port ( or airport)
nowadays everything is online! Immigration has all the information
available.

Amanda, yo tengo la respuesta para ti....dijiste que tu abuelo salio de
Cuba despues del 1958 y vino a los Estados Unidos....entonces tienes
que ir a cualquiera de las companias de investigacion en la internet y
ellos tienen toda la informacion!
Ok, vas a www.google.com y alli escribes el nombre de tu abuelo con
el pueblo y ciudad donde el vivio en los USA, entonces vas a ver algunos
nombres, tambien una nota que dice: si usted necesita los records de
votacion o mas informacion" entonces vas a ese lugar, pagas una
pequena cantidad de dinero y vas a ver todos los records de esa persona
que estas buscando, ellos tienen de todo!
Tambien puedes encontrar toda la informacion de los Cubanos que han venido a los Estados Unidos, solamente necesitas saber el a#o y el puerto
de entrada ( o aeropuerto) hoy en dia todo esta en la internet!
Inmigracion tiene toda la informacion disponible.
a.bremerj

Post by a.bremerj »

Thank you so much for all your help!

Do you know what times the civil registries are open?
--
Amanda

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”