Friendly Clubs

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Bob

Friendly Clubs

Post by Bob »

A small group of Asturianos who lived in the Spelter, WV, area found work in Niagara Fall, NY, and moved there (my own family among them). There, they founded the Spanish American Women's Friendly Club, "a charitable organization dedicated to preserving the culture of Spanish people in the community." Among the surnames of the members were Ocejo, Álvarez, Martínez (my grandmother Josefa, called Sena by one and all) , González, Arcos, Artímez, Espina, Ruoco, Junquera and Franco, plus a number of Anglo names from women who had married Americans.

The club was originally located at 41 13th Street in Niagara Falls, and later moved to 2002 Ferry Street (very close to the area where most of the Asturianos lived). The last record of its existence I could find was from a 1971 article in the Niagara Falls Gazette.

Were similar Spanish clubs established by other Asturianos in other areas? I would appreciate learning of their existence, activities, memberships, etc.
Manuel A Gonzalez

Bethlehem, pennsylvania

Post by Manuel A Gonzalez »

There was the Spanish-American Democratic Club in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. My parents were members, and i remember going to events all through my childhood. There was a building that had a bar and a banquet room. The club dissolved the late 70's.
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
From Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
mother from Naveces (near airport in Asturias)
father from Taborneda (above Aviles)
Joniwrite1

Spanish Club

Post by Joniwrite1 »

Hi Bob,
I've stated before that there was a Spanish Club in Pittsburg, California that began in the late 1920's when it's members moved there from W.V. and PA to work for the Steel Mill.

I'm not sure if there was a seperate woman's organization founded. They met at the Aurora Hall on 5th street, and I remember my grandparent's 50th Wedding Anniversity there in 1961. The Women did meet at my grandmothers to crochet, bake, bottle fruit, etc., and to talk about Spain. I learned so much from them.

I do remember hearing about WWII and Camp Stoneman in Pittsburg. I'm sure the entire community was involved. Both Italian and Spanish groups made food for the soldiers and entertained at the dances held there. My Aunt, Lidia Diaz sang for the U.S.O. My Uncle, James C. Diaz died in the war, and there is a memorial at the former camp which lists those who died in the war.

I'm not sure when the Club disolved officially. I know that my grandparents were surrounded by their friends and family all their lives. It was, and still remains, a group with endless ties.
Joniwrite1

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”