Marañuelas

Recipes for loaf breads & rolls.<br>
Recetas para barras, pan de molde, y bollos.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Bob

Marañuelas

Post by Bob »

GRANDMA SENA'S MARAÑUELAS

12 eggs
1 pound butter
12 large tablespoons sugar
2 cakes yeast (or 2 package dry yeast)
20 drops oil of anise (available at drug stores) or 1 teaspoon or more anise extract
8 cups flour

In a large bowl, cut the butter into pieces, and place in a warm oven until partially melted. Beat eggs with a fork, and dump into the melted butter. Add sugar and oil of anise. Dissolve yeast in ½ cup very warm water, and add to the mixture. Mix well.

Add flour gradually, mixing well. Put the dough on a table and knead for 15 minutes. Put the dough into a greased bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise until doubled in bulk. This will take from 2 to 3 hours.

Punch dough down and dump onto the table. Form rolls as big as desired, about 2 inches across is good. Just hack off pieces of dough and round out; don't fold and refold the dough. Put on greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart (even a little more), and brush the tops of the rolls with beaten egg. Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Place in a 350 oven for 20 to 30 minutes, but turn the oven down immediately to 250. Keep watching the rolls. The sugar makes them darken easily. Keep them light. Do not let them brown. Try one to see if they are done.

The dough can be rolled out and coated with a mixture of brown sugar and chopped walnuts, then rolled up like a jelly roll and cut into slices before baking. One half recipe makes about 24 rolls.
steve garcia

Maranuelas

Post by steve garcia »

Thank you for the recipe. I found this site searching for Spanish recipes and boy is it bringing back great memories. My Grandmother made these loaves at Easter time and would shape them into crosses before baking.
Laura_amparo

Receta Marañuelas

Post by Laura_amparo »

Hola/hi:

:(

I tried to make the marañuelas and followed the instructions but i had to add a lot of extra flour and the marañuelas turned out very white, hard and tasteless. What do you think went wrong?

Traté de hacer la marañuelas pero al mezclar la masa tuve que agregarle bastante harina para que no se me pegaran en los dedos. Resultaron muy blancas, duras y sin sabor, en qué pude haber fallado??

Gracias y un besín,

Laura
Bob

Post by Bob »

In my experience, the dough has to kept very soft and you should use soft wheat rather than hard wheat flour. Try to work dough as little as possible. If you can tell me what you actually did, I can give better advice. I have never had the recipe not turn out just fine.
Laura_amparo

Marañuelas reply

Post by Laura_amparo »

I melted the butter and mixed it with the sugar using a plastic spatula. Then i added the rest of the ingredients except flour. When they were well mixed up, i added the flour slowly while mixing with the spatula. When i put all the flour the mixture was still very sticky on the fingers so that it was not possibe to work with the hands. I added more flour...and more...until i could at least hold it and not get it stick to the fingers. I let it rest and then i made the figures and put them in a preheated oven. They turned out very white, hard and tasteless.

This recipe is very special for my father and i´d really want to learn how to make it. Thanks,

Laura
Bob

Post by Bob »

I think I see the problem. The dough, as least as my family makes it, is indeed quite sticky. It should not be brought up to bread dough consistency by adding flour or the end product will be tough. Grease your hands (I just dip mine in flour) if you have to and use the minimum amount of flour that makes the dough workable. The actual amount varies by batch of flour, what kinds of wheat was used to make the flour, ambient humidity, etc., so it is hard to give an exact measure. You just have to feel your way through it.
gabkab

Post by gabkab »

Laura, it sounds like you might not have let the dough rise a second time before baking.

Bob, thanks for this posting. My great-grandma and my grandma also made this bread at Easter. I actually learned to make it from my great-aunt (grandma's twin sister) and although I don't make it every Easter, when I do, the smell takes me back to my childhood and wonderful memories of family. It's traditions like these that I fear are being lost on today's hurry-up and go generation. I hope I can pass it on to someone that will actually take time to make memories for their children.
Indalecio Fernandez

Post by Indalecio Fernandez »

Unas recetas de marañuelas, buscadas en google poniendo "marañuelas de Luanco".

http://www.afuegolento.com/recetas/post ... -de-luanco

http://www.ayto-gozon.org/sitios-de-int ... de-luanco/

Ingredientes:

250 gr de mantequilla cocida(dejar enfriar)
300 gr azucar
1/2 corteza limón rayada
1 huevo entero
7 yemas
media copa de anís
700 gr de harina

PREPARACIÓN

Cuando enfrée la manteca se añaden los huevos, el anís, la rayadura de limón y la harina. Se amasa todo bien y damos la forma de la marañuela. Espolvoreamos con azúcar y horneamos a 180 C durante 20 minutos, más o menos

Ingredientes:

250 gr de mantequilla cocida(dejar enfriar)
300 gr azucar
1/2 corteza limón rayada
1 huevo entero
7 yemas
media copa de anís
700 gr de harina

PREPARACIÓN

Cuando enfrée la manteca se añaden los huevos, el anís, la rayadura de limón y la harina. Se amasa todo bien y damos la forma de la marañuela. Espolvoreamos con azúcar y horneamos a 180 C durante 20 minutos, más o menos

Bob's translation:

A recipe for marañuelas, found in Google as "marañuelas de Luanco".

Ingredients

9 oz melted butter (left to cool)
1 and a third cups sugar
1/2 grated lemon rind
1 whole egg
7 egg yolks
half a glass of anisette or a level teaspoon of anise oil
3 cups flour

PREPARATION

When the butter is cool add the eggs, anisette (or anise extract or oil), the grated lemon and the flour. Knead well and shape into marañuelas. Sprinkle with sugar and bake at 350 degrees F, more or less.

Bob's note: 350 degrees seems quite hot to me. I would try 250 degrees. Don't let them brown.

Return to “Breads - Panes”