Lopez,Martinez and Medina Family History

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Sabina

Lopez,Martinez and Medina Family History

Post by Sabina »

I was looking on the Ellis Island web site to find info on my grandfather. I found that Jose Medina arrived on 12/23/1916 and went to stay with a male friend Frictosa (or Fructuosa as it probably was) Martinez (?) in Meadowbrook, W.V. Martinez might have been a relative, but is listed as "friend" on the manifest. In 4/5/1920 my Grandmother came - Adelina Medina with my 4 uncles Jose age 8, Victor age 6, Angeline age 5 and Faustino age 3.

When my Grandmother left Spain she was living with her mother, Antonia Martinez in Castillon (Castrillon is the correct spelling?),when my Grandfather Jose came they listed his wife as Avella (we called her Adella) Lopez Medina. If any one has some information on any of these families, please let me know. Just starting to find family info and need all the help I can get.

Thanks,
Sabina
Bob

Jose Medina

Post by Bob »

I looked at the Ellis Island manifest. Jose Medina appears on line 11 on each page of the two page listing. I think that you may have looked at the wrong line on the second page (easy enough to do). Line 12 lists Fructuoso Martinez as a friend, but it is for a passenger from Grado named Suarez, not for Jose Medina. Line 11 lists a different person as a friend in handwriting that is very difficult to decipher. The first name appears to begin with Victor, followed by some other letters, possibly Victoriano. I can't make out the surname at all. This person's address is given as Box 38, Meadowbrook, WV.

Bob Martinez
Suronda
Co-Founder

Post by Suronda »

Bob and Sabina,

I guess it is very easy to get lost on some of those Ellis Island manifests!

I was looking at the one for Jose Medina again, and I think the name Bob sees is Victorino Garcia. I ran that name through the Ellis Island files, and it turns out there was a Victorino Alvarez Garcia, from Oviedo (Asturias), who was headed to Clarksburg in April 1911. I wonder what the chances are that this is the same person to whom Jose Medina was manifest in 1916?

Sabina might be able to check a city directory for Clarksburg in 1916 to see if there is a listing for a Victorino Garcia in Meadowbrook. I know that West Virginia University's Regional History Collection has city directories for that period. They don't circulate, and I don't even think there is a microfilm copy of them. I've most often sent questions in emails, and they've been quick to respond.

Happy Digging!

S.
Sabina

Lopez, Martinez and Medina Family History

Post by Sabina »

Bob and Suronda,

I want to thank you both for your help. Those manifest do get hard to read at times. I will look up that info as soon as I get time. Have to work today., but maybe I can look tonight. By the way Bob, Suronda is my cousin, our Mothers are sisters. Hope to talk to you both soon.

Thanks Again,
Sabina

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”