Mendez / Arrojo Family from Avilies

Discussion of photos in the AsturianUS.org photo album pages.<br>
Discusión de fotos en las páginas del álbum de fotos de AsturianUS.org.

Moderator: Moderators

mmendezz24

Mendez / Arrojo Family from Avilies

Post by mmendezz24 »

This is my father, Robert A. Mendez in the Navy 1942 - 45? He was an under sea welder in the Navy.

My Grand Mother Victorina Arrojo is the 3rd from the Right with the while blouse on and I have a name of Isodre (Theotore) for one of the men.

Pictures from my dads trip to Spain in 1966. Dad is in the bottom picture sitting up on the hill.

I don't know

My Grand Parents Angel Mendez and Victorina Mendez
Victoria Mendez

Re: Mendez / Arrojo Family from Avilies

Post by Victoria Mendez »

mmendezz24 wrote:Image

This is my father, Robert A. Mendez in the Navy 1942 - 45? He was an under sea welder in the Navy.

My Grand Mother Victorina Arrojo is the 3rd from the Right with the while blouse on and I have a name of Isodre (Theotore) for one of the men.

Pictures from my dads trip to Spain in 1966. Dad is in the bottom picture sitting up on the hill.

I don't know

My Grand Parents Angel Mendez and Victorina Mendez

Hola: Te contesto a este mensaje porque yo soy una de las personas que aparecen en una de las fotos que tu publicas del viaje de tu papa a España en el año 1966.
En la foto que aparecen los niños, yo soy la niña de la camiseta roja. Mi nombre es Victoria, aunque en casa me llaman Toya. Yo soy hija de una prima-hermana de tu padre. Mi abuela era Adelina que era hermana de tu abuela Victorina. Yo a tus padres les conoci en un viaje que hicieron hace aproximadamente 20 o 25 años. Segun pienso tu eres Maria Severina, y pienso que eres hermana de Michelle que tambien visito España y yo conocí. Si conoces a Suronda que pertecene a este foro ella me conoce y su padre Ron tambien. No se si tu hablas español, yo ingles solo palabras sueltas. dime si quieres saber de tu familia en España. Hay rprimas de tu padre, mi madre es una de ellas. Yo conozco las personas de las fotos porque mi abuela tambien las tenia. Tu abuela Victoria era hermana de mi abuela, y tu abuelo Angel era tio de mi abuelo.

Si quieres saber mas cosas contesta por favor.

Saludos y un abrazo muy fuerte
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Victoria, Isodre is the one on the left with a hat on his head . As you know he was my grandmothers father ,my great grandfather , I have the same photo. Also the women standing second from the left is Adela Victorina mother
Bob

two photos of same couple

Post by Bob »

I think the photo you have labeled "I don't know" may be an earlier photo of your grandparents.
Victoria Mendez

Post by Victoria Mendez »

Hola: Creo que tu eres Maria Severina. Te contesto un Mensaje this PORQUE yo soy una de las Personas Que aparecen en Una de las fotos Que Tu publicas del Viaje de tu papa a España en el Año 1966.
En La Foto Que aparecen los Niños, yo soy la niña de la camiseta roja. Mi nombre es Victoria, aunque en casa me Llaman Toya. Yo soy hija de Una prima-hermana de tu padre. Mi abuela era Adelina Que era hermana de tu abuela Victorina. Yo a Tus Padres les conoci en Un viaje Que hicieron HACE Aproximadamente 20 o 25 Jahr. Segun Pienso tu eres María Severina, y Pienso Que Eres hermana de Michelle Que tambien visito España y yo conoci. Si conocés un Suronda Que pertecene un foro this Ella Me Conoce y Su padre Ron tambien. No sí si tu hablas español, yo solo ingles Palabras sueltas. dime si QUIERES saber de tu Familia en España. Hay rprimas de tu padre, mi Madre es uña de Ellas. Yo Conozco las personalidades de las fotos PORQUE mi abuela tambien las tenia. Tu abuela era hermana Victoria de mi abuela, y tu abuelo Ángel era tio de mi abuelo. Si sable QUIERES mas Cosas contesta please. Saludos y un abrazo Muy Fuerte
Suronda
Co-Founder

Post by Suronda »

I´ve been talkin with cousins in Spain, and we have come up with the names of the people in these photos.

Top Photo: Aurora Arrojo Mendez with Adelina "Ila" Arrojo Mendez

Second Photo: The older women in the back, from left to right, Adelina and Aurora Arrojo Martinez, the mothers on each side, Joaquina y Adelina "Ila" Mendez Arrojo, and their chidren.

The third picture here (above) are - the women, Joaquina Mendez Arrojo and Adelina "Ila" Mendez Arrojo, the children from left to right, Manolo Fano and Nanda Fano Mendez, children of Joaquina. Maria Victoria Iglesias Mendez and Almudena Iglesias Mendez, daughters of Ila.

In the background, Manolo Fano, Robert Mendez, Paco Iglesias, Marcelo (husband of Aurora Arrojo Mendez) and Jose Coppen.
helen gyngell

The Arrojo family - some more old photos from Aviles

Post by helen gyngell »

I have just this week come across this wonderful site. My mother (now 87) is Pepita - daughter of Elvira Loche-Arrojo and grand daughter of Adela Arrojo Martinez of Aviles.

Family photo of my Great grandmother and her children taken in 1909 (left to right) Vitorina (aged 8), Isidorin (aged 3 - he died when still just a young boy), Adela Arrojo-Martinez, and my grandmother Elvira (aged 4) who is standing on a stool behind Felisa (aged 5)

Photo taken in the summer of 1927 in great grandmother, Adela's garden in Galiana - from left to right (standing): a friend of the family, Adelina, Aurora, Felisa and Elvira (pregnant with my mother); and from left to right (sitting): Matilde (my mother's sister), Great grandmother Adela and Piqui (my mother's sister).

My mother, Pepita, has only just started using the internet! Sadly age and distance has meant that unwittingly she has lost contact with some relatives that were very dear to her.

When we discovered your site she was overwhelmed to see names of people she recognised - one in particular is Toya, who i think is Vitoria Mendez (daughter of Ila and grand daughter of Adelina) who lives in Asturias. - my mother would dearly love to make contact with her and also with Ila (if at all possible) who i think lives in Oviedo.

My mother, who came to England in the 1950's stayed in close contact with her American cousins (Mendez family - Roberto, Angelina and Angel) but had very little information about her grandmother Adela's siblings etc. I am trying to pull together information and photographs to tell her family story so that we can pass it on to her grandchildren (Matthew, Richard, Fiona and Elliot - living in Germany) and the story is not lost.

I would also very much like to learn more about the brother (Manolo) who went to Cuba. I know he had a son - Jose, but that is all I know. If anyone has any more information, I would be really grateful if you could contact me.

Thank you so much - finding old family photos that she has not previously seen has really meant a lot to her.
Suronda
Co-Founder

Mendez - Arrojo family - You've found us

Post by Suronda »

Hello Cousin - I think! It always strikes me as odd when we find new family connections. I've just send an email to Toya, who is Adelina's granddaughter to see if she'd seen your post. I'm the great grand daughter of Aurora, who is the sister of your great-grandmother. Let's keep this conversation going, ok?
helen gyngell

Post by helen gyngell »

Hello Suronda
I am sure you must already have a photo of this - the house in Galiana (Aviles) where my great grand mother (Adela) lived - she had a shop under the arches - it is the tallest house in the picture
This was taken in 2008 - my mother (Pepita - aged 82) standing outside what had been her grandmother's home.
,Image
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Hello Helen
Aurora was my grandmother, she married Dagio Vasquez and they had eight children. My mother was Ida. She had a sister Mary, and brothers Raymond, Frank, Jessie, Ceasar, Joe (my Uncles and Aunts). She also had one child that died at a very young age, Rose Mary.

My grandmother had three sisters. One was Primativa Arrojo Tamargo, who married Joe Tamargo. They had one son Joe. Joe had one son, Joe Jr, and one daughter, Shelley Marie. It's sad to say that I know nothing about Joe Jr or his sister.

Tarina married Joe (Carreno) Martinez and they had six kids: Sam, Victor, Charlie, Joe, Angie (who married Benny Alvarez and had two children, Ben Jr and Alice, both of whom have passed on). Tarina has one daughter who is still living, Lucy, who is in Clarksburg WV. As a guess she should be about 95 or so.

Manolo had two children, a son Joe, a daughter Adela.

My grandmother had a sister that never made it to the states whose name was Adela Arrojo Mendez. She still has family in Oviedo, Asturias. My daughter went to visit with them this pass summer.

Your mother's cousins Angelina, Roberto (I do miss him) are no longer with us. Betty lives in PA. Angel lives in FL. We were once a large family, but time has taken it toll.

As far as the photo you talk about I don't know MMendezz24.

If it's the photo I'm thinking of, all the Arrojos are in it.

Vitorina is the daughter of Adela (she was something else). Betty lives in PA. We talk at least twice a month on the phone. She had a stroke a few years back, but she's coming along. On Aurora's side, all that is left are three grandsons, of which I'm one.

I hope this help you, if you have anymore questions, please let me know. I'll be glad to help. One other thing about the family in Cuba, I had one of them call me on the phone a few years ago. He now lives in FL. He said he wanted to come up this way for a visit, but he never made it yet. I know he has two son, but don't know the names.

Return to “Our Photo Album - Nuestro álbum de fotos”