Visit to Clarksburg

Tell us your story!<br>
¡Dinos tu historia!

Moderator: Moderators

Fonzu

Visit to Clarksburg

Post by Fonzu »

Hi,
A few weeks ago I went to visit (or revisit since it is a town that I go quite frequently) to Front Royal, Virginia, I was inside of an antique store and the owner, a nice lady asked me where I was from. After the obvious Q and A she told me that her grand parents were from Oviedo and came to US at the beginning of the 1900’s and established themselves in Clarksburg WV, like many others familiar to this forum. She and her husband told me stories about their ancestors and about the town of Clarksburg, especially the part of the town (North View) where Asturians and Italians lived.

I went many times to West Virginia during the past 5 or 6 years, especially to Morgan County (Berkley Springs area where I a few years ago bought a property and built a country house). This time a couple weeks ago, I decided to go a little further and visited Clarksburg. Asturian names and last names are all over. I visited the old library (at the back of the new one) where a well informed librarian knew very well the migration movements of that area, especially during those times of pushing the industrialization of Clarksburg.

The trip is nice, a stop in Cumberland Maryland is recommended, not far from Cumberland you can visit the Falling Water house by Frank Floyd Wright.

Saludos,
Fonso
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Alfonso, so happy you enjoyed your visit to Clarksburg .
Fonzu

Post by Fonzu »

Thank you Ron, I really did. That trip was pending since long ago. Only one thing wrong: I did not tell Art or any of you that know or live around there that I was going and I should and I am sure we would have a nice chat and lunch.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Yes, I wish you had said something about your visit , next time let me know .

Return to “Introduction of Members - Presentación de miembros”