PESCAL-PEACH TREE-MELOCOTONERO

Build your Asturian vocabulary with these definitions and examples<br />
Aumente tu vocabulario asturianu con estas definiciones y ejemplos

Moderators: Moderators, Asturian Vocabulary Posters

Marta Elena Díaz García

PESCAL-PEACH TREE-MELOCOTONERO

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Pescal is Asturian name of the peach tree. The fruit is the piesco or piescu. The Latin name of the fruit is Prunus Persica while in Spanish it is "melocotón" or "durazno".

There are some places in Asturias with the name La Pescal (e.g. in Cancienes, Corvera).

According to J.A. González Calle (in his book Historia de Corvera de Asturias y su área), “pescal” cames from “piescu” and it from the Latin “persicum” (fruit from Persia).

Do you know which was the tree that deceived the Devil?

It was the pescal, because it is the first tree to blossom in spring and is the last to bear fruit!
Bob

Peaches

Post by Bob »

Very interesting, Marta.

Peaches and nectarines are the same species, although peaches have fuzzy skins and nectarines smooth skins. Here is the EEUU they are traditionally divided into freestone and clingstone, depending whether or not the flesh adheres to the pit. Peaches are originally from east Asia and were carried to Persia and grown in abundance there. Hence the scientific name Prunus persica.
Last edited by Bob on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anzu
Translator

Piescu

Post by Anzu »

Tamién ye mui común la forma "piescal", con "i", sobremanera na zona'l cientru y sur-suroesti d'Asturies.

-------

It is also very common the form "piescal" with "i", especially in the center and South-South West zone of Asturies.
Marta Elena Díaz García

Lot of peachs in the market

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hi, Bob:

Yes, there are many different varieties of peaches in the market. I don't know if they are hybrids or just genetic variants.

Recently, a new type of nectarine that is similar to a "paraguayo" (Prunus persica var. Platycarp) but with smooth skin is in the market. It is called "platerina" . Personally, I prefer "paraguayos" than "platerinas" in spite of their smooth skin.

Marta.

Return to “Asturian word of the week - Pallabra selmanal n'asturianu”