Empanada de anguilas

Recipes for loaf breads & rolls.<br>
Recetas para barras, pan de molde, y bollos.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Marta Elena Díaz García

Empanada de anguilas

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hi,
I remember when my father fished eels in the river that is close to our house. He fished them by hand and put them into a bucket with water. I was terrified when the eels tried to get out of the bucket

My grandmother used them to prepare “empanada de anguila” (may be “eel pie”?) .

The procedure for preparing it was similar to that for “empanada de bonito” (“tuna pie”) just changing the tuna by the eels.

Did anyone eat eels?... :shock:

Although they are fishes, I don´t like eels because they remember me snakes. Even, while writing this, it makes me shudder…..:shock:

Marta.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

My Grandmother would fix eels for Christmas eve along with many other kind of fish , and no I didn't eat the eels do not like it.
Last edited by Ron Gonzalez on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

Eels

Post by Bob »

I love eating eels. Baby eels (expensive but wonderfully good) cooked with garlic and good olive oil. Roasted sliced eel with butter and garlic. Eel sushi. The eel empanada sounds wonderful.
Maestro Tomberi

Post by Maestro Tomberi »

Mi madre y mi abuela solían cocinar bastante anguila, aunque reconozco que a mí siempre me dió bastante repelús. He de decir también que la anguila es muy abundante aquí en Asturias y alcanza buenos tamaños.

Y una cosa más: un truquillo para que piquen muy fácilmente es poner como cebo lombrices que ya hayan empezado a pudrir. Con todo lo asqueroso que suena es un bocado irresistible para las anguilas.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bothmy granny and my mother used to cook quite eel, altoughI recognize I always felt quite icky about it. I must say there are plenty eels here in Asturias and it also recahes quite good sizes.

And one more thing: a little hint to let them bite the bait is to use rotting earthworms. As disgusting as it sounds is irresistible for them.
Joniwrite1

Eels

Post by Joniwrite1 »

I'm with you Marta. I don't like eels in the water, on my plate or anywhere else! LOL :shock:
Joniwrite1
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Bob, what are eels? Are they fish?

-------------------

¿Bob, de cuál clase son las anguilas? ¿Son peces?
Bob

Eels

Post by Bob »

Yes, eels are fish, and there are hundreds of species of them. I think the ones that are a luxury food in elver form in Spain are called glass eels in English (Anguilla anguilla)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Bob, that's interesting. So, it's the form of the animal that is disgusting to us!

-------------------

Gracias, Bob, es muy interesante. Entonces, es la forma del animal que nos parece asquerosa.
Maestro Tomberi

The difference with eels and elvers, is that elvers are in post-larvary status, while eels are already adult individuals.
Bob

Eels and elvers

Post by Bob »

Claro que si, Maestro Tomberi.
Indalecio Fernandez

Post by Indalecio Fernandez »

Actualmente en Asturias está vedada la pesca de la anguila. Se alega una menor presencia de ella en nuestros ríos, sin embargo, paradójicamente, se permite la pesca de la "angula".
Para mas aclaraciones preguntenme.

----------------------------
trans. Art

Currently in Asturias it is prohibited to fish for eels. It is claimed that that eels have a low populations are low in our rivers. Nonetheless, fishing for baby eels is, paradoxically, permitted.
For clarification, please ask me.
Maestro Tomberi

¿Se permite la pesca de la angula y no la de la anguila? No lo entiendo, sinceramentwe. ¿A que se puede deber?

Return to “Breads - Panes”