Family originating from Soto de Luinas, Asturias

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

AdelM

Family originating from Soto de Luinas, Asturias

Post by AdelM »

My ancestors originated from a small northern town called Soto de Luinas. My great-great grandparents Agueda Busto and Hermeneglio Martinez were married in Soto de Luinas in 1863.

Due to civil unrest in Spain in the early 1870, Agueda sent her two oldest sons Higinio, Jose and Benjamin to Santiago de Las Vegas, Cuba (Town in Havana). There Agueda had an Uncle by the name of Higinio Fernandez Busto who was a Municipal Judge and Captain of the Volunteer Army.

My great grandfather Higinio Martinez stayed in Santiago de Las Vegas, married in 1896 to my great grandmother Rosa de Lima Rodriguez Perez. My family then relocated to New York in the late 50's.

I would like to find out if there is any members on this site that have family originating from Soto de Luinas, especially Busto and Martinez members. Thank you in advance.
Loredo

Post by Loredo »

Although I am not a Busto or Martinez, I can provide you with some useful tips:
- The place you are looking for is actually named Soto de Luiña which is the name of a small town and a parish (parroquia) in the concejo of Cudillero.
- Your great-great grandfather name was Hermenegildo.
- The surname Busto is very common in the area and in fact there is a cape known as Cabo Busto not far away to the West. Martinez is also a common surname in Spain but not specifically from this area.
- If you want to find relatives living in the area try to find people with the same surnames from the telephone lists. I guess it would be difficult to you to make any progress because the two surnames are very frequent ones and in 150 years you should expect some surname changes.
- However, if you want to go back in your genealogical tree you can still make some progress through the parish records. For Soto de Luiña you can find data for both baptismal records and marriage records after 1742. You need to write to the priest of Santa Maria de Soto de Luiña for this purpose.
- You should expect to find the marriage af Hermenegildo and Agueda in 1863, and those of their parents, grandparents and great grandparents as well as their baptismal records, if they were all born in Soto de Luiña.

Best Regards.
Luiña

Post by Luiña »

Siento no poder escribir en inglés, espero que entienda el castellano o que alguien se lo traduzca.

Soy natural de Soto de Luiña, vivo en Oviedo y voy a menudo al pueblo. Como dice Loredo el apellido Busto es muy frecuente en la zona, pero puede decirme qué desea exactamente y si se trata de alguna partida de bautismo, matrimonio o defunción puede dirigirse al Párroco de Soto:

Rvdo. D. Antonio Fernández
Párroco de Santa María de Soto de Luiña
33156-Soto de Luiña (Asturias)
Spain

Espero poder ayudarle. Un saludo desde Asturias

-------------
translated by Art

I'm sorry that I can't write in English. I hope that you understand Castilian or that someone will translate it.

I am a native of Soto de Luiña, live in Oviedo and go to the village often. As Loredo says, the last name "Busto" is very common in the region. But if you could tell me exactly what you want [she might be able to help]. And if it is related to a baptism or marriage, or funeral, you can write to the parish in Soto:

Rvdo. D. Antonio Fernández
Párroco de Santa María de Soto de Luiña
33156-Soto de Luiña (Asturias)
Spain

I hope to be able to help you. Best wishes from Asturias.
AdelM

Luina

Post by AdelM »

Muchas Gracias por su ayueda
Luiña

Post by Luiña »

Una amiga ha podido localizar la partida de matrimonio de sus tatarabuelos en Soto de Luiña:

Hermenegildo Martínez Rodríguez y Agueda Busto Miranda se casaron el 7 de Abril de 1869. Eran de San Pedro, el pueblo a 2 Km. de Soto de Luiña, que está al lado de la playa del mismo nombre. Tuvieron varios hijos:

Albina, que nació el 2 de mayo de 1870
Higinio, " " " 4 de marzo de 1872
Florinda, " " " 6 de febrero de 1874
José Maria, " 21 de marzo de 1875
Esperanza, " 30 de marzo de 1877
Benjamín, " 4 de febrero de 1879

No coinciden con las fechas que usted da, pero sí todo lo demás

Espero que le sea útil esta información. Un saludo cariñoso desde Asturias

---------------
translated by Art

A friend has been able to get hold of the marriage certificate of your great-great grandparents en Soto de Luiña:

Hermenegildo Martínez Rodríguez and Agueda Busto Miranda were married April 7, 1869. They were from San Pedro, a village 2 Km. from Soto de Luiña, which is to the side of the beach of the same name. They had several children:

Albina, born May 2, 1870
Higinio, " March 4, 1872
Florinda, " February 6, 1874
José Maria, " March 21, 1875
Esperanza, " March 30, 1877
Benjamín, " February 4, 1879

These don't match up with the dates that you gave, but the rest does.

I hope that this info will be useful to you. Warm wishes from Asturias.
Luis R. Sanchez

Soto de Luiñas, Cudillero.

Post by Luis R. Sanchez »

Hello,

My maternal grandfather's familiy is from Soto de Luiña. His name was Marcelino Gutierrez Gomez. He, and three of his brothers, emigrated to Santiago de las Vegas, Habana, in the first few years of the 20 Century. I still have family in both places. I have ancestors from Soto de Luiña in my genealogical tree, going back over 300 years. So far, I don't have any Martinez in my tree, but Soto being such a small town, I would not be surprised, if we are somehow connected. Let me know if you are interested in compairing notes. I live in Miami.

Regards,

Luis.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”