Monthly Bingo Pics - Centro Asturiano de Tampa

Happenings of interest to forum participants.<br>
Sucesos de interés a foreros.

Moderator: Moderators

Rodrig54

Monthly Bingo Pics - Centro Asturiano de Tampa

Post by Rodrig54 »

Things seemed a bit slow on the Forum, so I've added a few pictures of the monthly Bingo & Lunch event at the Tampa Centro. If you live locally, it's a great deal - about $11 or $12 for lunch and game cards. Always the third Wednesday of the month. Last week we had over 225 folks show up.

Most of the folks in the pictures are second or third generation Americans descended from the waves of Asturiano cigar makers that came to Tampa in the early 20th century.

https://www.facebook.com/CentroAsturian ... 17/?type=1
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks!

I was pleased to see these photos because it demonstrates how an organization like the Centro Asturiano de Tampa could be the dominant focal point of the local Asturian community. I'm reminded that the early Asturian immigrants worked hard in their jobs but still took pains to build a vibrant cultural community. It's impressive. Of course, they didn't have the distractions of TV and the internet!

Was there anything like these organizations back home in Asturias? I wonder how the idea originated and which precursor organization was the model that the Centros were based on? Could it have been workers' unions or a political organization, perhaps an anarchist group?

-------------------

¡Gracias!

Me encanté ver estas fotos, ya que demuestra cómo una organización como el Centro Asturiano de Tampa podría ser el punto focal dominante de la comunidad asturiana. Me acuerdo de que los primeros inmigrantes asturianos trabajaron duramente en sus puestos de trabajo, pero todavía se esforzaron por construir una vibrante comunidad cultural. Es impresionante. ¡Por supuesto, no tenían las distracciones de la televisión y el internet!

¿Había otras organizaciones parecidas a un Centro Asturiano en sus comunidades en Asturias? Me pregunto cómo se originó la idea de los Centros y de que organización era el modelo precursora para los Centros? ¿Podría haber sido los sindicatos de trabajadores o una organización política, quizás anarquista?

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”