Museum of American People: Asturian history & culture?

Asturian cultural identity, Spanish nationality, & return to Asturias: legal, social, & personal aspects.<br>
Identidad cultural asturiana, nacionalidad española, y regreso a Asturias: cuestiones legales, sociales, y personales.

Moderator: Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

Museum of American People: Asturian history & culture?

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

Currently, there are plans to open a Museum of American People to feature Immigrant History and Contributions to the United States in Washington, D.C. It will feature the history and contributions of the ethnic, religious, and racial groups that have settled in the United States. It will embody our national motto: E Pluribus Unum--From Many We are One. It is scheduled to open in the year 2020, so there is still time to collect those stories and data not already recorded.

As a descendant of an Asturian immigrant, I believe that this would be a worth while endeavor to chronicle and preserve the history, contributions, and culture of Asturian peoples who immigrated to this country.

I personally would be very proud to see an exhibit centered around our heritage.

There remains much of our history to complete for the future generations of Asturian Americans like my son and grandson.

Manny
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks so much for bringing his to our attention, Manny.

Looking at their website (www.nmap2015.com), the only Spanish organizations and scholars supporting the idea are Hispanics/Latinos and Basques. That probably means that Asturians are not on their radar.

It appears that an Asturian-American or Spanish-American organization could become one of the organizing groups. Should it be AsturianUS, one of the North American Centros Asturiano, or perhaps one of the Spanish clubs? I'm not aware of any Asturian or Spanish organizations that represent all of the US. Does anyone else know of one?
Manuell Alvarez

Thanks Art for your help and support. Here are the contacts for the museum taken from the internet for those wishing to request that Asturian Americans be given a place of honor since Asturians settled in Florida during the 1500's. St. Augustine was founded by Admiral Menendez de Aviles, and remained the capital of Spanish Florida for over two hundred years. The city is supposedly the oldest in the United States.

Manny

Contact Information:
Coalition for the National Museum of the American People
200 West End Avenue, Suite 12-G
New York, NY 10023

Additional contact information, including emails and phone numbers, can be found on the website.
www.nmap2015.com
Rodrig54

Martin de Arguelles

Post by Rodrig54 »

A bit off tangent, but a pet peeve of mine. The first white child born in the continental United States, in St. Augustine, was Martin de Arguelles in 1566. By the way he was the son of Asturian settlers in the Menendez expedition.

When we were kids, some of us were taught that Virginia Dare, born in Virginia was the first such child. Clear bias for English history and ignoring what happened in Florida years before.

Ms. Dare was even honored with a US postage stamp in the thirties while few ever heard of Arguelles.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

"White" has been a very difficult or impossible term to define.

My guess would be that a Spanish person might not have been considered "White" by many in the US during the 1930s. Today they almost certainly would. A similar issue exists today in that a great many Latinos consider themselves "White" but many in the US do not.

I don't think it was simply prejudice against skin color, but also against culture and religion. Spaniards, Portuguese, Italians, Hungarians, Poles, and other southern and eastern Europeans were persecuted in the early 1900s. Many of those groups have obvious Catholic or Jewish heritages. Perhaps it was the fact that the northern European Irish were Catholic that made them a target, too.

I'd bet that few in the US are aware of the Spanish colony in Florida, although we do study it in school briefly.

I wonder if it's possible that a Viking child was born in the area that is now the US?
Manuell Alvarez

When Spain lost Florida in a treaty with the United States, our Asturian history and legacy was probably destroyed under British rule. As they say, "to victor belong the spoils", and that included rewriting the history books. Unfortunately, Florida was never a part of the original thirteen colonies.

I very happy to learn that the first child born in the new world was an Asturian long before Virginia Dare. That helps our request for a place of honor in this new proposed museum.

Manny

Here is one article from the internet that may be accurate or not:

Spanish minister Do Luis de Onis and U.S. Secretary of State John Quincy Adams sign the Florida Purchase Treaty, in which Spain agrees to cede the remainder of its old province of Florida to the United States.

Spanish colonization of the Florida peninsula began at St. Augustine in 1565. The Spanish colonists enjoyed a brief period of relative stability before Florida came under attack from resentful Native Americans and ambitious English colonists to the north in the 17th century. Spain's last-minute entry into the French and Indian War on the side of France cost it Florida, which the British acquired through the first Treaty of Paris in 1763. After 20 years of British rule, however, Florida was returned to Spain as part of the second Treaty of Paris, which ended the American Revolution in 1783.

Spain's hold on Florida was tenuous in the years after American independence, and numerous boundary disputes developed with the United States. In 1819, after years of negotiations, Secretary of State John Quincy Adams achieved a diplomatic coup with the signing of the Florida Purchase Treaty, which officially put Florida into U.S. hands at no cost beyond the U.S. assumption of some $5 million of claims by U.S. citizens against Spain. Formal U.S. occupation began in 1821, and General Andrew Jackson, the hero of the War of 1812, was appointed military governor. Florida was organized as a U.S. territory in 1822 and was admitted into the Union as a slave state in 1845.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Manny, you're sounding a bit like you're thinking of sedition! :wink:
Manuell Alvarez

No, I'm just a poor son of a poor Asturian horse trainer who happens to like history and genealogy and is proud of our Asturian history and heritage in Spain and America.

I am just asking for an equal opportunity for our heritage to be included in the museum displays. American history like so many other cultures is written with a bias toward those in authority.

I definitely believe in the legal system for settling matters rather than being a seditionist. Especially, concerning those things like inclusion that I am very passionate about. My twenty years as a federal union officer taught me a great deal about standing up for fairness and personal rights.

May we count on you for help?

Manny
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I was joking about sedition, Manny. (You can often tell that someone is being silly by the emoticons they use.)

Sure, I think we should definitely participate in the process of forming this museum and be included in its collection. It could be the perfect solution for many of the items our generation has collected, especially if they might not be as meaningful to our heirs.
Manuell Alvarez

Art,

I know you were, and I did not take it personal. I definitely like talking about myself. We both have the same ideas about being advocates for our heritage. We also share the Anmoore, West Virginia, connection where your grandfather and my father once lived and worked.

Making the case for our entry into the, (proposed), museum and recognition of our Asturian heritage will take quite an effort and organization. You have the talents and skills for writing the presentation. Hopefully, you are going to take the lead. While I do not want to exclude all of Spain, we as Asturians, have a unique connection and history through Admiral Menendez de Aviles founding the oldest European City in Florida, and the first European child born in the new world. St. Augustine is also the longest occupied European City founded on the North American Continent.

I believe that copies of your grandfather's paintings will be one of the hallmark displays depicting the Asturian contributions to the culture of the United States.

I hope that this posting will lead to other discoveries of our heritage and Asturian contributions that will be proudly displayed in the museum exhibits. I cannot wait.

I neglected to tell you that I appreciate my cousin Juan finding me through the postings on the forum. Luckily for me, he writes and speaks perfect English.

Manny
Manuell Alvarez

Descendants

The knowledge of Asturians in the new world in the 1500's before the English settlements begs the question, are there any descendants of Martin de Arguelles, the Asturian residents of St. Augustine, and Admiral Menendez currently living in the United States? This information would be of importance to have when going forward with any project like the proposed Peoples Museum.

The archives in Spain probably have the recorded births, deaths, and marriages of the 1500's. Those records hold very valuable clues to finding the identities and familial connections to these important Asturian people of the 1500' s who settled in Florida. I doubt that these records exist here in the United States anymore after the governing of St. Augustine changed hands so many times and the anti-Spanish culture that existed. Hopefully, the cemeteries and stone markers may still exist.

Manny
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Oh, that's great that Juan found you! That's one of the best functions of the forum!

I suspect that James and Luis are pretty busy with planning the book now, but I think James may have some insights for us on organizing in regard to the museum.
Manuell Alvarez

I'm very grateful that Juan found me. His father and I are first cousins. Juan has shared a photograph of his grandmother who was my father's youngest sister. Included in the photo is my uncle, Juan's grandfather who owned and operated a grain mill located close to my grandparent's farm. It is still owned by his father.

Luis told me about the publication of their book and the birth of his first child. At this time, I'm not able to make a monetary contribution to the publication costs. I am sure that Luis is kept very busy as I was during the childhood of our son, Alejandro.

Perhaps I can purchase a copy of the book in the future.

Manny
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Yeah, it is a bit expensive, as I expect most photo collection books are.
Manuell Alvarez

I appreciate all the work that Luis has accomplished in documenting the Asturian Americans, and their stories of migration to this country. Definitely, an arduous task.

I wish also to thank Rodrig54 for providing the forum reference to Martin de Arguelles. There is wealth of information on the internet concerning Martin de Arguelles as Rodrig54 mentioned in his email yesterday. I have spent this morning checking out some of the references.

In reading the Wikipedia article, I found that there are letters written by Admiral Menendez dated 1555 to 1574 located in the Library of Congress.
These documents are a huge find and copies of the letters would make a great centerpiece exhibit for the Asturian migrations to this country in the proposed museum. The documentation of the Menendez-Arguelles connections are probably also located in the Archives in Spain and the Vatican.

As the information is collected for exhibit, hopefully, we will be organized when the time comes to make a presentation to the museum committee why our heritage should be represented in the exhibits.

Thirty-five foot high paintings depicting both Admiral Menendez and Martin de Arguelles should be the first things one sees as they enter the Asturian exhibit.

Manny

Return to “Identity, Nation, Return - Identidad, país, vuelta”