Casimiro Rodriguez Silva-Tampa granduncle-Cangas del Narcea

Tell us your story!<br>
¡Dinos tu historia!

Moderator: Moderators

Luis Rodriguez

Casimiro Rodriguez Silva-Tampa granduncle-Cangas del Narcea

Post by Luis Rodriguez »

My grandfather, Manuel Rodriguez Silva, was born in Cangas del Narcea, (formerly Cangas de Tineo) Asturias in 1871. His parents were Jose Rodriguez Menendez, a native of Jarceley and Manuela Silva Llano, a native of Sorriba. The family is also believed to have lived in a nearby village named Villar de Lantero.

My grandfather, Manuel Rodriguez Silva, migrated to Cuba in the early 1900s and settled in Rio del Medio, Province of Pinar del Rio where he operated a mixed goods store. He passed away in 1933. I am seeking information about my grand uncle who traveled to the Americas with my grandfather and settled in the Tampa, Florida area. I do not have any information about him but his name may been "Casimiro" Rodriguez Silva. I know my grandfather corresponded with his brother for many years. Hoping any residents of Tampa may be able to shed some light on our long lost relatives. Thank you.
gil

Post by gil »

Hello Luis ' I am Gil Rodriguez ,born in Tampa, (Ybor City) and also have ancestors from Cangas Narcea, known as Cangas Tineo previously at the time my ggf Jouqin Alvarez was born.

I visited Asturias in 2012 and traveled to Cangas Narcea where I was given information on my ancestors by the Civil Registry back to the mid 1850's. The lady at the civil registry then directed me to the nearby church where the priest reviewed my family information. I left a large self addressed stamped envelope and offered to pay or donate money for more information. The priest refused any payment, only suggested a donation and after returning home, about 2 weeks later, the envelope with additional family records was waiting for me.
Grandson of Eliseo Rodriguez Pulido y Arango b. Los Cabos, Pravia ,Asturias 1889, immigrated to U.S.1906 . I'm searching for The Arango Connection ,my 4th grt, g.f (Manuel Arango b.1750's-Santianes , Pravia, Asturias, for earlier family ties .
Luis Rodriguez

Post by Luis Rodriguez »

Hello Gil, thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that a Rodriguez from Tampa shares the same roots I do in Cangas del Narcea. Just like you, I visited Cangas del Narcea this past summer as part of a vacation/fact finding mission. I did not expect to find much information since I had only three days to spend in Asturias and I wanted to visit Covadonga and spend a little time in Oviedo as well. The day we visited Cangas we walked through the center of town and were taken back by the cultural similarities my family shares with this old town. The church you referred to in your response must be Santa Maria Magdalena. My family and I found it to be beautiful in its spartan simplicity and we believe my grandfather was baptized there in 1871. We visited the city clerk as well and they referred us to the Juzgado for further information. Sadly, we did not have enough time left in the day and departed Cangas knowing that we will visit again. Since our trip we have written to the Juzgado and we learned information going back to my gg grandparents. We now know the small villages they came from and plan to visit there next summer. I have also contacted Centro Asturiano in Tampa for information about my great uncle and was referred to USF where the archives from the early 1900s are stored. My family and I have truly enjoyed researching our roots in Asturias and we have acquired a great knowledge and love for the principality since our visit. I wish you good luck on your search and I'm glad that another Rodriguez in Florida shares the same interest in Cangas del Narcea as I do.

Return to “Introduction of Members - Presentación de miembros”