Joaquín y Alejandro MEANA GARCIA-CIAñO

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

javier menendez

Joaquín y Alejandro MEANA GARCIA-CIAñO

Post by javier menendez »

Hola,
Haciendo mi arbol genealogico mi tia me conto la historia de 2 de sus tios: Joaquin y Alejandro Meana García-Ciaño.
[Art: Corregido arriba. Originariamente era --> Joaquin y Enrique Meana García-Ciaño.]

Emigraron a Estados Unidos y Canada, alla por la primera mitad del siglo 20. Eran originarios de Sama de Langreo en Asturias.

Tengo muy pocas informaciones en relacion con ellos, y me gustaria saber si han tenido hijos, etc. Alguien me puede ayudar?

Saludos,
Javier Menendez

------------------

Hello,
I'm working on our family tree. My aunt told me the story of two of her uncles: Joaquin and Alejandro Meana García-Ciaño.
[Art: Corrected above. Originally was --> Joaquin and Enrique Meana García-Ciaño.]

They immigrated to the US and Canada sometime during the first half of the 20th century. They were originally from Sama de Langreo in Asturias.

I have very little information about them and would like to know if they had children, etc. Can anyone help me?

Best wishes,
Javier Menéndez
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

¡Bienvenido, Javier!

Nos ayudaría si tu tía puede dar nos más datos.

Algunas preguntas que quizás puedas contestar son:
¿Sabes el nombre de las ciudades donde vivieron?
¿Ambos hermanos vivieron en el mismo lugar?
¿Qué clase de trabajo hicieron?
¿Cuántos años tenían cuando emigraron?
¿Cuáles son los nombres de sus padres?
¿Tienes fotos de ellos?

Hay una lista de otros datos útiles aqui:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1465

-------------------------

Welcome, Javier!

It would be helpful if you could get more information from your aunt.

Some questions you may be able to answer are:
Do you know the name of any of the cities where they lived?
Did both brothers live in the same place?
What kind of work did they do?
How old were they when then emigrated?
What are the names of their parents?
Do you have any photos of them?

There's a list of other information that would be helpful here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1465
javier menendez

Hola Art, hola a todos,
Gracias por la bienvenida, y gracias tambien por guiarme en busqueda de informaciones.
Las informaciones en relacion con la busqueda de Joaquin y Alejandro ( y no Enrique como lo creia) Meana Garcia-Ciaño son las siguinentes:

- Sus padres eran Santos Meana Rodriguez y Maria Garcia-Ciaño (segundo apellido desconocido), originarios ambos de Sama de Langreo.

- Joaquin emigro à Canada, region de Niagara me dice mi tia, estuvo casado dos veces y sus dos mujeres se llamaban Gladys. Tenia o trabajaba en un hotel.

- Alejandro, tengo pocas informaciones, sé que en principio se establecio en la region de Bufalo. Se caso con Anita.

- Sus hermanos y hermana son: Adela, Santos, Juan y Enrique.

Gracias por leerme, saludos.

--------------------
trans. Art

Hello, Art, hello everyone,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks, too, for guiding me in my search for information.

The information in regard to the search for Joaquin and Alejandro (and not Enrique, as I thought earlier) Meana Garcia-Ciaño are the following:

- Their parents were Santos Meana Rodriguez and Maria Garcia-Ciaño (her second last name is unknown), both of whom were natives of Sama de Langreo.

- Joaquin emigrated to Canada, in the Niagara [Falls?] area, my aunt tells me. He was married twice and both of his wives were named Gladys. He owned or worked in a hotel.

- For Alejandro, I have very little information. I know that in the beginning he settled in the Buffalo area. He married Anita.

- Their brothers and sister are: Adela, Santos, Juan and Enrique.

Thanks for reading this.
Best wishes
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Javier. Now we'll have to wait and see if any of our members or people doing internet searches find this message.

If you learn more, add it here. For example, let us know if your aunt remembers the names of the children of Alejandro and Joaquín, or if you find any photos of the families.

--------------------------

Gracias, Javier. Ahora esperamos. A ver si algún socio o otra persona haciendo una búsqueda web encontrará este mensaje.

Si aprendes más, añada aquí. Por ejemplo, dinos si tu tía recuerda como se llaman los hijos de Alejandro y Joaquín, o se encuentras cualquier foto de las familias.
javier menendez

Hola todos,
Increible lo que se puede encontrar en internet...(Ellis Island Foundation)
Mi tio abuelo -Joaquin Meana- llego a Nueva York, Nombre de pila:
Faustino Joaquin /Apellido:Meana /Último lugar de residencia: Spain /Fecha del evento:22 Aug 1913 /Edad: 15y /Nacionalidad: Spain /Spanish Puerto de salida: Vigo /Spain Puerto de llegada:New York /Sexo:Male Estado civil:S /Nombre del barco:Louisiane

Se instalo en Niagara Falls con ésta direccion:317 Prospect Street
Niagara Falls, New York.

Divorciado de Kathleen Meana por el año 1944.

Casado con Gladys

Fallecido el 21 de mayo 1959 en Niagara falls.

Por lo que me dice mi tia ( 83 años) que es su sobrina, Joaquin habria trabajado en la hosteleria, o tal vez tenia un restaurante.

¿Alguién tendria mas informaciones ?

Tambien encontré datos de Jack Meana, me pregunto que si no se trate de su hermano habiendo escogido un nombre mas "americano".

Un saludo.

Javier
Bob

Joaquin Meana

Post by Bob »

Faustino Joaquín Meana was 15 years old when he arrived at Ellis Island on May 22, 1913. His first surname may have been Pérez. Yes the ship was the Louisiane and it sailed to New York from Vigo. The ship manifest provides a bit more information about him. In 1913 he was 5 feet 4.75 inches tall (164.46 cm), in good health, and could both read and write. He was born in Sama de Liangréu (Langreo) in Asturias, and his father was Santos Meana

The Prospect Street address is very close to the American Falls. Joaquin was well-known to the Asturian community in Niagara Falls. At one time he had a restaurant near the intersection of 19th Street and Ferry Avenue. He owned and operated a restaurant called El Capitan on the west side of Hyde Park Boulevard, close to North Avenue and just south of the railroad bridge. As I recall, it was a pale tan brick building. The food was very good.

He was nicknamed Quack (for Joaqíin), and known by that name by the other asturianos. As far as I know, he was never called Jack by that community. I have no information about his family. He died on May 21, 1959. There was a notice posted in the Niagara Falls Gazette in memory of him about 1964, probably by family members.
Last edited by Bob on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
javier menendez

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!!

Sorry I will continue in spanish, my english would be too poor to express my gratitude for those informations.

Un millon de gracias, por éstas informaciones que tienen tanto valor a mis ojos. Aunque no haya dado con los descendientes de mi tio abuelo, he aprendido un poco mas acerca de su vida al otro lado del charco.
Se lo contaré a mi tia - su sobrina- y seguro que le "prestara" un monton, y seguro y le caera alguna "llagrima de sus güellos".

Y, perdonenme la redondancia, otra vez un millon de gracies.

Javier
Bob

Gladys Meana

Post by Bob »

Gladys Meana was still living on 9 May 1962 when she sold land to Benjamin Wesoko of nearby Wheatfield.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

It's interesting that Quack had a good restaurant. It would be fascinating to know where (besides NYC) other Asturians operated Asturian restaurants.

------------------------

Me interesa que Joaquín tuvo un restaurante muy buena. Sería fascinante saber dónde (además de Nueva York) otros asturianos llevaron restaurantes asturianos.
javier menendez

Enrique Meana

Hola todos,

Buscando en la red he dado con el certificado de matrimonio de Enrique Meana. Casado el día 28 de noviembre 1931 con Aneta Laska.
Tuvieron por esa época su residencia en 20 Elk place, Niagara falls.
Uno de los testigos era Marcelino Luis.
El documento refleja que tenía cómo profesión : "shipper" y su esposa "inspector".

¿A alguien le suena?

Preguntita para Bob: ¿ha conocido a Joaquin "Quack" Meana personalmente?

Gracias.

Javier
Bob

Post by Bob »

Elk Place no longer exists, but it was a street that was quite close to the American falls, and intersected with First Street where the United Office Building stood. I don't recognize the name "Aneta Laska."

Yes, I knew Quack personally, but I was a very young boy at the time, so I don't have many personal memories of him. My father, who died in 2007 at age 90, knew him well, as did my uncles.
javier menendez

Thank you very much Bob,

I also discovered he (Quack) was in 1918 working at International Acheson Graphite Company. Was the spanish/asturian community important in those factories?

Javier
Bob

International Acheson Graphite

Post by Bob »

You can see an early photo of the International Acheson Graphite Company in Niagara Falls at http://library.buffalo.edu/pan-am/expos ... ml#acheson

My grandfather, Victor Martinez Artimes worked at the Carborundum Company In Niagara Falls, which can also be seen at the URL above, during the late 1930s, 1940s and 1950s.
richardstoyell

Joaquin Meana

Post by richardstoyell »

Luego de revisar los anos de residencia en Niagara Falls de Joaquin Meana con mi pariente, Gladys Jane (London) Wilson-Meana (1894-1966), les puedo decir definitivamente que a Joaquin tambien se le conocia por el nombre de "Jack".

Se que Gladys se caso con Joaquin antes del Censo Federal de 1940 y ella se quedo en Niagara Falls despues del deceso de Joaquin en 1959 y ella se paso a mejor vida el 22 Abr 1966 en el St. Mary's Hospital de Niagara Falls.

Si alguien desea mas informacion sobre la familia de Gladys London de Jefferson County PA, solo tienen que pedirmela.

Saludos del Ecuador,
Ricardo "Rick" Stoyell
javier menendez

Hola Ricardo,

i Qué sorpresa leer su comentario ! i Y qué alegría saber que aún hay personas que conocieron mis a familiares allí !
Pues sí que me gustaría tener más información respecto a Gladys y su familia. Las pocas informaciones que tengo es que con mi tío abuelo "Jack" no tuvieron hijos. No sé nada mas...
Si pudiera facilitarme información me ayudaría a completar un poquito más el árbol genealógico. Me puede contactar en mesage privado si quiere.

Un saludo desde Bruselas.

Javier

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”