Dual citizenship question

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

margaret

Dual citizenship question

Post by margaret »

My name is Margaret Montes Miller....I have a question that hopefully someone could answer. My father was born in Clarksburg WV while his mother from Spain was visiting her husband, Adelino Montes in 1911. She came here in 1910from Spain, with two other children. She returned to Spain 1913 and came back permanently in 1914 with children, including my father. Children were listed as spanish subjects . Would he have had dual citizenship? I am confused. Thanks for any thoughts on this.
mm
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hello, Margaret! What is your purpose in seeking this information?

It's possible. I should begin by saying that I don't know the regulations from that era. At least in some eras, there has been reluctance by the Spanish and US governments to recognize dual citizenship between Spain and the US. If I remember correctly, those people who were born in the US to Spanish parents had Spanish citizenship only if the parents enrolled them at the consulate/embassy within a certain window of time. In some cases, the individual also had to affirm that they wanted to retain Spanish citizenship by something like 18 or 21 years of age. (What I'm saying here isn't absolutely trustworthy!)

You can request (for a fee, I believe) US citizenship records. I would assume that there must be a similar record you can request for Spanish citizenship.

A couple of years ago, some forum members applied for Spanish citizenship through a special program (now ended) that allowed grandchildren of citizens to claim citizenship under certain circumstances.
margaret

dual citizenship question

Post by margaret »

Art: Thanks for the reply and information. It is just curiosity on my part. I am currently into genealogy on my fathers' side of the family and I saw on the ships' information, the children were listed as spanish subjects although two children were born in U.S. My father was in the U. S. Navy and I am sure he considered himself a U.S. citizen. Thanks again for the information. Margaret
mm
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Margaret,
I was talking to someone who has dual citizenship recently. This person believes that although the Spanish law states (as I recall) that you must chose which country you want to belong to by late adolescence, in practice the authorities don't track this, so it's possible to keep both nationalities. That could be true. It does sound, though, like your father may not have maintained his Spanish citizenship. Do you know if he ever applied for a Spanish passport?
margaret

Post by margaret »

Art: thanks for the reply...I just now tuned in...As to the question if my father ever applied for spanish passport , I do not believe so. It does make for an interesting conversation though.....I must say, I am proud of my grandparents strength and determination to make better lives for themselves Can't imagine the sacrifices that were made. Thanks again for your thoughts. Margaret
mm

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”