Asturias en Virginia 2004 - Potomac Celtic Festival

Happenings of interest to forum participants.<br>
Sucesos de interés a foreros.

Moderator: Moderators

Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Yes, Bob, I'm aware that drone is first and foremost the male bee and I'm sure that in English the name of that part of the pipe comes from the deep buzzing sound it makes, like that of the "living" drone.
And yes, the verb roncar means to snore, and "roncón" is therefore "snorey" (snorer would be "roncador"). Roncar is also used to describe a dull, rough sound, like the wind sometimes.

-----------------------------------------------------
Si, Bob, a sabía que un "drone" era un zángano y estoy segura de que en inglés el nombre del roncón viene del sonido que hace el zángano al volar.
Y sí, el verbo roncar significa "to snore" y roncón por tanto es "snorey" ("snorer" sería roncador). Roncar también se emplea para describir ruidos sordos y broncos, como a veces el del mar.

Terechu
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

It's not easy to summarize the experience of staffing the Asturian Society tent along with Alfonso, Fernando, Pindy, & Ana. Here's a shot at it.

The Asturians brought a number of Asturian items, including: sidra (hard cider), an ox yoke, madreñas, flags, tourist info, and copies of Fundación Belenos' excellent Asturies magazine. Alfonso had prepared a number of posters with photos of Asturian landscapes, historic sites, and cultural items. Fernando, Pindy, and Ana brought items to sell: posters, Brenga Astur CDs, and the beautiful Belenos book, Asturies, Memoria Celta.

The group was a real pleasure to spend the day with. We spent a lot of time talking with each other and with visitors to the tent. So I learned a lot.

[We spoke in Castilian a lot, so my understanding of what was said could be a little off. You can blame me for any errors.]

I'd been wondering who the Asturian Vaqueiros are. So I asked Fernando. He explained that it is thought that the Vaqueiros are basically the same as any other native Asturians, except for their maintaining the old ways of moving with their cattle with the seasons: up into the mountains in the summer and down to the lower lands for winter. I was surprised to hear that there was (is?) a lot of prejudice against them, to the point that even churches had separate entrances for Vaqueiros.

I also asked a number of questions about the gaita (bagpipes) and gaita bands, but I'll write about that later in another post in the music section of the forum.

One surprise was that a number of those working in the tent wanted to live in Asturias but couldn't. Jobs are hard to come by in Asturias, especially in specialized fields like teaching in higher education. It appears that many Asturian young people have left to find work, but long to return to the homeland. It made me wonder if this longing to return home has become part of the contemporary Asturian identity.

Everyone working in the tent was very supportive of efforts to maintain Asturian culture. How strong was their commitment? Well, how many of us would fly across the Atlantic, or fly to Washington DC from Arizona, just to promote our culture at a two-day festival? Ana, Pindy & Fernando did. Also, having a tent at a festival and paying for trans-Atlantic air fare is very expensive. Would you pay those bills just so you could tell the Asturian story to America? They did.

Other festival participants who identify with other Celtic nations were very supportive and interested in Asturian culture. There were a lot of bagpipers present. Pindy and Fernando seemed to enjoy playing bagpipes along with several Scottish pipers. They also talked shop with pipers, often explaining the differences in the instruments.

We did meet a few Asturians at the festival. Maria José, the sister of one of our members, Franc Castelo, came by and introduced herself. (There's a Castelo family photo in the photo album.)

All in all, I had a great time, learned a lot, enjoyed making new friends of Ana, Fernando & Pindy. If you can make the festival next year, do! We're hoping that the whole Brenga Astur group will be playing an official concert next summer. That alone will be worth the trip.

Links:
Brenga Astur band: http://www.brengaastur.com [an excellent Asturian folk-rock band with a definite Celtic sound]
Belenos book, Asturies, Memoria Celta: http://www.asturies.com/belenos/celta.htm [The book is in a number of languages, including Asturian, Castilian, & English]
Fundación Belenos' magazine, Asturies: http://www.asturies.com/belenos/asturies.htm [The magazine is Asturian language only]
Vaqueiros: http://es.geocities.com/vaqueirinos/ [in either Castilian Spanish or Asturianu]

---------------

No es fácil resumir la experiencia de ayudar con la tienda de la Sociedad asturiana con Alfonso, Fernando, Pindy, y Ana. Aquí trato explicarlo.

Los asturianos trajeron un número de artículos asturianos, incluyendo: sidra, una yugo de buey, madreñas, banderas, información turística, y copias de la revista excelente Asturies de Fundación Belenos. Alfonso había preparado un número de carteles con fotos asturianos de paisajes, sitios históricos, y artículos culturales. Fernando, Pindy, y Ana trajeron artículos para venderse: carteles, CDs de Brenga Astur, y el libro de Belenos hermoso, Asturies, Memoria Celta.

El grupo era un verdadero placer de conocerles y pasar el día con ellos. Pasamos mucho tiempo hablando uno con el otro y con visitantes a la tienda. Entonces aprendí muchísimo.

[Hablamos en el castellano mucho, así que es posible que no entendi perfectamente lo que fue dicho. Si es un poco chiflado, culparme para cualquier error.]

Yo había estado preguntándome quién son los asturianos Vaqueiros. De manera que lo pregunté a Fernando. Él explicó que se piensa que los Vaqueiros son básicamente el mismo como cualquier otro asturiano nativo, excepto su mantenimiento de los viejos modos de movimiento con su ganado con las estaciones: subiendo las montañas en el verano y abajando a las tierras menos altos para el invierno. Estuve sorprendido de oír que había (¿o hay?) mucho prejuicio contra ellos, al punto que hasta las iglesias tenían entradas separadas para los Vaqueiros.

También hice un número de preguntas sobre la gaita y bandas de gaita, pero escribiré sobre esto más tarde en otro poste en la sección de música del foro.

Una sorpresa era que un número de aquellos trabajando en la tienda quisieron vivir en Asturias pero no podían. Los empleos son difíciles de adquirir en Asturias, sobre todo en especialidades como la enseñanza en la enseñanza universitaria. Aparece que muchos jóvenes asturianos se han marchado para encontrarl trabajo, pero muchas veces queren volver a la tierrina. Esto me hizo preguntarme si este deseo de volver a casa se ha hecho parte de la identidad contemporánea asturiana.

Cada uno trabajando en la tienda dan mucho apoyo a los esfuerzos para mantener la cultura asturiana. ¿Cómo fuerte es su dedicación? ¿Bueno, cuántos de nosotros volaría a través de Atlántico, o volaría a Washington DC de Arizona, solamente para promover nuestra cultura en un festival de dos días? Ana, Pindy y Fernando lo hizo. También, ofreciendo una tienda en un festival y pagando por los billetes del pasaje transatlántico es muy caro. ¿Pagarías aquellas cuentas solamente para que podrías contar la historia asturiana a América? Ellos lo hicieron.

Otros participantes de festival que se identifican con otras naciones celtas eran muy de apoyo e muestran mucho interés en la cultura asturiana. Había muchos gaiteros en asistencia. Pindy y Fernando parecieran disfrutar jugar la gaita con varios gaiteros escoceses. Ellos también hablaron en la tienda con gaiteros, a menudo explicando las diferencias entre los instrumentos.

Encontramos a unos asturianos en el festival. María José, la hermana de uno de nuestros miembros, Franc Castelo, pasó por la tienda y se introdujo. (Hay una foto de familia Castelo en el álbum de foto.)

En general, yo tenía un día magnífico, aprendió mucho, disfrutó haciendo amigos nuevos de Ana, Fernando y Pindy. ¡Si puedes asistir el festival el año próximo, ¡te lo recomiendo! Esperamos que Brenga Astur - el grupo completa - actuarán en concierto oficial el próximo verano. Eso solo valdrá el viaje.

Eslabones:
Brenga Astur banda: http://www.brengaastur.com [un banda asturiano de folk / rock muy excelente con un sonido definitivamente celta]
Libro de Belenos, Asturies, Memoria Celta: http://www.asturies.com/belenos/celta.htm [el libro está escrito en un número de lenguas, incluyendo asturiano, castellano, y inglés]
La revista de Fundación Belenos, Asturies: http://www.asturies.com/belenos/asturies.htm [la revista esta en la lengua asturiana sólamente]
Vaqueiros: http://es.geocities.com/vaqueirinos/ [en castellano o Asturianu]

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”