Where to start - ancestry search in Aviles?

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

reedrum

Where to start - ancestry search in Aviles?

Post by reedrum »

Not sure where to begin...looking for my roots in Asturias, Spain. I know my grandfather was from this region and family notes reference Aviles. Specifically:
My grandfather: Luis Begeja Perez b:1899/1900 d:1969 (crossed Pyrenees to join US Forces in WW1 then immigrated to Chicago after war.; his parents: Jose or Joseph E Perez b: 1880 d: 1962 in US; Married Carolina Menendez Bejega b; 1880 d:1962 in US. So all were born in Asturias and maybe even Aviles ..not sure. Would really like to figure out where my grandfather was born for sure.

Where should I go for next step in my research? (note: I do not speak spanish).
Mark Reed
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Mark,

You'll probably need to know the precise dates of birth, the town of birth, and the exact names, because that is the data you'll need if you write to the Registro Civil or to the church for a copy of his certificates.

It may be that the US military can provide you with some or all of that information, unless he gave false data in order join as a minor.

Names: My grandfather's name was listed differently in the birth certificate. No one here in the US knew about his official first names. I only found his certificate because I visited a Registro and looked myself. In my experience, the officials don't usually bother to figure out problematic cases.

Dates: The records are usually listed in books in the order they were inscribed by hand in those books. Increasingly, there are some computerized registries, but I don't believe they are complete for the years you need.

Places: You usually have to go to the consejo (county) in which the person was born to get the certificate. The civil registries (death and birth certificates) are usually (maybe always) in the county seats. Some records may be ordered online electronically, but not most.

Often you have to go to the local church in whatever pueblo the person was born or married in in order to obtain marriage and baptism records, although some of the church records are stored in the diocese (I think that's what it is) headquarters in Oviedo, the capital of Asturias.

Finally, if you go in person, you should ask in advance about when the offices will be open. There are sometimes long periods during which they are closed.
Xuaco

Post by Xuaco »

Hi Mark,

In familysearch are published listed of population of Aviles in the last 1800`s.

There is only one Bejega. you could see in

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KNJX-T4F

This Josefa Bejega Menéndez worked in Aviles, but she was born in Castrillon, a county near Aviles.

The bithds registers must be in an office called "Juzgado de Paz de Castrillón", the address is

Juzgado de Paz de Castrillón
C/ La Libertad, 15
33450 Piedras Blancas (Castrillón - Asturias - Spain)

You could try to write them
Good luck

Best regards

Joaquin

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”