Donora, Pa. U.S. 1930 Census (Surnames from Spain)

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Rvega

Donora, Pa. U.S. 1930 Census (Surnames from Spain)

Post by Rvega »

Hola,

There are 37 pages in the 1930 U.S. Census from Donora, Pa.
I have copied the pages with connections listed to Spain.
Also, there is an index of some of the Surnames.
I hope those with Asturian family there during this period can make a connection.

Good luck !
Roberto Vega

http://home.neo.rr.com/vega/

Hola,

Hay 37 páginas en los 1930 EE.UU. censo de Donora, Pa. He copiado las páginas con conexiones listaron a España. También, hay un índice de algunos de los Apellidos. Espero que ésos con familia Asturiana allí durante este período puedan hacer una conexión.

¡Buena suerte!
Roberto Vega

http://home.neo.rr.com/vega/
pepe buylla

Post by pepe buylla »

Thanks so much for this posting! It helps connect some of the dots. It lists all of my father's side of the family.
pepe buylla

Post by pepe buylla »

I almost forgot, was Oscar Vega a relation of yours? According to the census he lived next door to my grandparents.
Rvega

Post by Rvega »

Hola Pepe,

I am glad that you were able to find your Asturian family in the Census. It is a joy to help people uncover and hopefully reconnect to their family members. I believe that Oscar Vega is connected to my family but it is still a mystery as to how.

I am sorry that I did not reply sooner, I have been visiting with my son in Chicago and have only been home a few days.

Best wishes,
Roberto
Vince Carril

Thanks

Post by Vince Carril »

The Donora Census you provided was very helpful. I found my grandfather and his family, my father and aunts and uncles. My grandfather's last name was spelled with two ls instead of one as is the current spelling. He was 35 at the time and my father was 14. It helps put things in perspective.
nuevo

Re: Donora, Pa. U.S. 1930 Census (Surnames from Spain)

Post by nuevo »

Por RVega:
Hola, somos o creyemos que somos parientes. Mi padre se llama José Ramón Nuevo Vega y mi abuela se llamaba María Vega Galan y vivimos en Piedras Blancas. Por favor contacte con nosotros via email o como sea. Un saludo de tus parientes asturianos con much cariño.

------------------
trans. Art

For RVega:

Hello, we are or believe we are family. My father is named José Ramón Nuevo Vega and my grandmother was called María Vega Galan and we live in Piedras Blancas. Please contact us by email or an other means. Greetings from your Asturian family, with much love.
AdolfoNuevoPiedrasBlancas asturias CREEMOS SER FAMILIAR TUYO CONTACTA CON NOSOTROS UN SALUDO
NUEVO VEGA

CONTACT EN PIEDRAS BLANCAS - FAMILIA VEGA

Post by NUEVO VEGA »

Hello, I only speak Spanish.... Solutions: Altavista Translate:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Hola, somos familiares directos tuyos, nos alegra saber que al otro lado del Atlantico hay alguien que nos busca. Queremos saber más pero sólo hablamos español. Te enviamos unas direcciones de mail para contactar.

[Art: Roberto, también puedes utilizar el botón de correo electrónico abajo.]

----------------
trans. Art

Hello, I only speak Spanish. One solution is Altavista Translation:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr
[Art: I like Google's: http://translate.google.com/translate_t]

Hello, we are your family, directly related. It makes us happy to know that on the other side of the Atlantic there is someone who is looking for us. We would like to know more but only speak Spanish. We will send you our postal addresses [so you can] for contact us.

[Art: Roberto, you can also use the email button below.]
creemos ser familiar tuyo, contacta con nosotros.

un saludo
ctjedda

WV to Pennsylvania

Post by ctjedda »

My relatives came from Asturias to West Virginia, then ended up in Donora, PA. Does anyone know why so many went from WV to PA??
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Jtjedda, the simple answer is that there was work in zinc industry in both Spelter and Donora, and elsewhere, too. But there are deeper reasons, too.

The stories I've heard indicate that many of the Asturians originated in and around Arnao in Asturias because they had worked in the zinc plant at Arnao. So many of them had been neighbors back in Asturias.

Here in the US, the Asturians had a strong network of friends and family living in other towns where there was work in zinc plants. There are many stories about Asturians moving to other different locations in an attempt to get better working conditions or pay.

Compared to today, the network was many times stronger 40 years ago. Many Asturians in Spelter and elsewhere would go to Donora for its annual Spanish picnic. But even recently, (until late 2005, I think) an Asturian restaurant in Donora got its chorizo from an Asturian woman living in Spelter.

--------------------------

Jtjedda, la respuesta simple es que había trabajo en la industria del cinc tanto en Spelter como en Donora, y en otras sitios, también. Pero hay razones más profundas, también.

Las historias que he oído indican que muchos de los asturianos originaron en y alrededor de Arnao en Asturias porque habían trabajado en la fábrica del cinc en Arnao. Entonces, muchos de ellos habían sido vecinos allí en Asturias.

Aquí en los EE.UU., los asturianos tenía una red sólida de amigos y familia que vivían en otras ciudades donde había trabajo en las fábricas del cinc. Hay muchas historias sobre asturianos quienes se mueve a otras diversas localizaciones intentando conseguir trabajo con condiciones o salarios mejores.

Comparado con la red de hoy, la red que existia hace 40 años era muchas veces más fuerte. Muchos asturianos de Spelter y otras sitios iban a Donora para su fiesta española anual. Pero incluso hasta recientemente (hasta finales de 2005, creo), un restaurante operado por un asturiano en Donora compró chorizo de una asturiana que vivía en Spelter.
elorenzo

Post by elorenzo »

Hi my name is Eric Lorenzo I was referred to this site by my uncle Jimmy Barbao. I went on many trips to pick up the Chorizo with my father Pete Lorenzo, my uncle Tony Menendez and Ping Alvarez. They were great trips down to Shinston and Bridgeport WV. I don't know a whole bunch about my heritage but through this site I am picking up some pieces and would love any other information that anyone might have. I am currently 29 yrs old and living in Donora. I remember some of the functions at the Spanish club, but the big picnics were before my time. My buella was Gia Lorenzo (Barbao) and I never got to meet my grandfather, he passed away when my father was 9 or 10. They lived in Anmore WV at that time but then they moved to Donora to be with her relatives. Like I said any info on my family would be greatly appreciated and uncle Jimmy if you happen to read this please call my dad and get my number I would like to talk to you about what family tree stuff you might have or where I can find it. I read in one of your posts and it is hard in the states to find stuff. Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trad. Terechu

Hola, me llamo Eric Lorenzo y entré en esta página por referencias de mi tío Jimmy Barbao. Fuí muchas veces a buscar chorizos con mi padre Pete Lorenzo, mi tío Tony Menéndez y Ping Alvarez. Fueron siempre viajes estupendos a Shinston y Bridgeport, Virginia Occidental. No sé mucho de mis antepasados, pero estoy aprendiendo muchas cosas y me encantaría recibir cualquier información al respecto que los demás podáis tener. Tengo 29 años y vivo en Donora. Recuerdo alguna de las funciones del club español, pero las grandes jiras tuvieron lugar antes de mis tiempos. Mi güela era Gía Lorenzo (Barbao) y no llegué a conocer a mi abuelo, porque murió cuando mi padre tenía 9 o 10 años. Vivían en Annmore, VO, en aquella época, pero luego se fueron a vivir a Donora para estar cerca de los parientes de ella. Lo dicho, si alguien tiene información sobre mi familia, la agradecería mucho, y, tío Jimmy, si lees esto por casualidad, por favor llama a mi padre y que te dé mi teléfono, me gustaría hablar contigo sobre los datos que tengas sobre nuestro arbol genealógico, o dónde puedo conseguirlos. Leí un mensaje tuyo y es difícil conseguir nada en los EE.UU.
Gracias.
Rvega

Re: CONTACT EN PIEDRAS BLANCAS - FAMILIA VEGA

Post by Rvega »

José mi correo electrónico es:
(lee abajo)

[Art: I have deleted the email address, because they are not permitted on the forum. Once you have enough messages on the forum, you can use the email button below Roberto's message.]

[Art: He quitado el correo porque no se permite en el foro. Pero, José, después de escribir unos mensajes, el foro te permitirá enviar correos a Roberto utilizando el botón de correo electrónico abajo de sus mensajes.]
Jasm

Post by Jasm »

No creo que tenga que ver con ustedes pero en la llamada al reemplazo del ejercito de 1880, en el Ayuntamiento de Gijón consta Agustín Vega Molleda, que vivía en Nueva York, sus padres eran Ramón e Isabel.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”