Celestino Montequin y Crespo

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

RMontequin

Celestino Montequin y Crespo

Post by RMontequin »

I was wondering if anyone had any information about Celestino Montequin y Crespo? I am trying to figure out if he is related in some way to Felix Montequin y Crespo.

Thanks. :)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome to the forum. Do you have any other information about him? Dates, birthplace, career, family members?
RMontequin

Post by RMontequin »

Here's what I found for him:

Born on 3/10/1896 in Spain
Arrived in Miami on 4/12/1968
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Do you have any information about where he was born or which port he left from?

Hm. He arrived in Miami late in life. Did he spend a lot of time in Cuba or another country before coming to the US?
RMontequin

Post by RMontequin »

The information I shared is all the information I have. I searched and haven't found anything else. I did find a Celestino Montequin in New Mexico, but not sure if they are one and the same.
RMontequin

Montequin in New Mexico/en Nuevo Mejico

Post by RMontequin »

I believe that the Celestino Montequin that lived in New Mexico is the Celestino Montequin Crespo I am researching. Here are the updated facts I have:

Celestino Montequin (aka Celestino Montequin Crespo)
Born on 10 March 1896 in Spain
Married to Mercedes Isabel Garcia Rodriguez
He and Mercedes has two daughters: Edilia (aka Edilie ) and Fredesvinda
Arrived in the US (Miami, FLorida) on 12 April 1968
Moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1968
Died on 8 April 1975 in Albuquerque

Buscando informacion sobre Celestino Montequin (también conocido como Celestino Montequin Crespo)
Nacido el 10 de Marzo del 1896 en España
Casado con Mercedes Isabel Garcia Rodriguez
Juntos tuvieron dos hijas: Edilia (aka Edilie ) and Fredesvinda
Llegó a los EEUU el 12 de Abril del 1968 en Miami, Florida
Se mudo a Albuquerque, Nuevo Mejico, EEUU
Murió el 8 de Abril del 1975 en Albuquerque

Thanks/Gracias!
Last edited by RMontequin on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RMontequin

Post by RMontequin »

Celestino's daughter, Edilia, was born in Cuba on 16 Sep 1928 (or 1929). She married and had 4 children: Jose Juan Celestino Barros, Lourdes Barros, Judith Ball (nee Barros) & George Barros--all born in Cuba.

Edilia immigrated to the US as Edilia Montequin around 1964. Around this time she was in Massachusetts. She moved to Albuquerque around 1969. Upon becoming a US citizen in 1970, she changed her name to Edilie de Montequin. By this time, she was divorced (date and location unknown). She married William Camejo in 1977 and passed away two years later in Dec 1979.

Edilia/Edilie's son Jose was born on 27 Jun 1949 in Cuba. In 1962 at the age of 12 years, he arrived unaccompanied in the US as part of "Operation Pedro Pan." Jose spent time in the Kendall refugee camp, then was sent to an orphanage in PA. He later returned to Florida and was eventually moved to a home for exiled Cuban children in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

When Jose became a US citizen in 1969, he changed his name to Francois-Auguste de Montequin. He went on to become a professor of art history and a respected architectural historian. In 1990, he was recognized in a tribute recorded in the Congressional Record. Six years later, he passed away on 20 Aug 1996.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, R. I'm struck by how short the lives of Edilia and José (Francois-Auguste) were, and by the apparent separation of mother Edilia and son José. It may even be that she gave up or lost custody of all of her children.

José's story is particularly striking because his early losses contrast markedly with his successful career. Like many immigrant families, the Montequin family probably has a complicated, difficult, or sad backstory. If you learn more, please share it.
Marta Elena Díaz García

Celestino Montequin Crespo

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hi, R.Montequin:

I have found a Celestino Montequín Crespo, son of Pedro and Saturnina. They lived in Vega (Barbecho), Sariego. Asturias.
His name appeared in the Boletín Oficial de la Provincia de Oviedo, April, 1914, because he was being called to do the obligatory military service.
(sorry for my English, but I am not sure how to translate this).

Also, Pedro and Jenaro Montequín Crespo appear as living in Vega. They are brothers of Celestino.

I hope this help you.
Yours,
Marta.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, again, Marta! Your English is perfectly understandable. We would call "obligatory military service" "the draft" but your way of saying it is actually much clearer.
RMontequin

Post by RMontequin »

Art,

Edilia did not have her children taken away. She sent Jose to the US to keep him safe. He was one of 14,000 children between December 1960 to October 1962 sent to the US by their Cuban parents, who feared their children would be indoctrinated. Operation Pedro Pan was the largest recorded exodus of unaccompanied minors in the Western Hemisphere. (It must have been terrifying for those poor children to arrive in a strange country without their parents and heartbreaking for all the parents who didn't know when/if they would see their child(ren) again.) Jose was eventually reunited with his mother around 1965.

I haven't learned when her other children arrived in the US, but it is most likely that they came during the same time as Jose.

I also don't know why Edilie died at the age of 51, but I know why Jose died at age 47. He contracted AIDS and died from complications of the virus.

His accomplishments are indeed impressive considering he went from being a refugee to becoming a respected architectural historian. That's a prime example of the American dream come. :)
RMontequin

Post by RMontequin »

Marta, thank you so much for the information. I am learning so much about Celestino, that I really hope he is related to my husband's family so it is not a waste of time. But then again, if I can help someone else with their family history/tree, then it isn't really a waste of time. :)

I understood your English very well, but I also speak some Spanish myself so I would have understood it either way. :)

Do you know if Montequin Crespo was a common name at the time? I am trying to find out if Celestino (and now his brothers) were related to Felix Montequin Crespo (my husband's great-grandfather).
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I'm glad to hear that Jose's tour of orphanages and homes ended well. Those three years apart must have been hard on both of them. Thanks for the details.
Marta Elena Díaz García

Félix Montequín

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hello R:

I have found in this magazine edited in La Habana

Asturias: revista gráfica semanal, 17th Dec. 1916

a Félix Montequin (also a Donato Montequín), among the members of a new association of asturians from the councils of Siero, Sariego and Noreña.

I don´t know if they are brothers of Celestino, but it is quite probable they are relatives.
I include here the page.
Yours,
Marta.

Jasm

Post by Jasm »

Los hermanos Pedro y Jenaro, eran jugadores de bolos, en el concurso de bolos del 23/08/1908 de La Vega - Sariego, la inscripción era en casa de Jenaro. Jenaro el 23/07/1911 ganó en Villaviciosa el torneo de bolos, el premio era reloj de oro.
En el concurso de bolos de las fiestas del Portal (Villaviciosa), Pedro era de uno de los equipos de Sariego, quedando 2º.
En la directiva de la delegación del pueblo de Mata (Cuba) del Centro Asturiano, aparece un Genaro Montequín Crespo como vice (Jenaro puede aparecer con J o G)

Pedro and Jenaro were bowling players, in the competition of bowling of on 23/08/1908 of La Vega - Sariego, the inscription was in Jenaro's house. On 23/07/1911 Jenaro won in Villavicioisa the tournament of bowling, the prize was a gold watch.
In the competition of bowling of the Parties of the Portal (Villaviciosa), Pedro was one of the Sariego teams, being 2º.
In the directive of the delegation of the village of Mata (Cuba) of the Centro Asturiano, appears a Genaro Montequin Crespo like vice, (Jenaro can appear with J or G).

I apologize by my English (I don't speak English)

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”