A visit to Asturias

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Luis Rodriguez

A visit to Asturias

Post by Luis Rodriguez »

After putting it off for close to 20 years, my family and I decided to include a three day visit to Asturias as part of our recent European vacation. Our trip was intended as part sightseeing and part retracing of our family roots. We chose to lodge at Oviedo's La Reconquista Hotel, an elegant and formal hotel which we highly recommend. We rented an SUV from a nearby rental agency to move around the province.
On our first day we traveled east and visited Cangas de Onis, Covadonga, Lagos de Covadonga and Villaviciosa. On our second day we traveled west and visited Cangas del Narcea and Cudillero.
The beauty of Asturias' cities and its countryside is beyond compare. The history of the region and its Celtic/Visigoth roots is palpable at almost every turn. We specifically enjoyed our visit to Lagos de Covadonga and Cangas del Narcea, my grandfather's old hometown. The people we met during the course of our stay were extremely friendly and interested in finding out that descendants from former citizens of Asturias have not forgotten their roots. The food served at every restaurant we visited was outstanding, from well known staples of Asturian cuisine such as faves and sidrina to seafood platters and cheeses.
Our visit to Asturias has awakened our desire to learn more about our family's past and we have been able to track the names and hometowns of my great grandparents (Sorriba and Jarceley). We intend to visit again next year for an extended period of time.
One word of caution to those intending on driving in Asturias, though the interstate road system is excellent, the terrain is steep due to the province being located mostly in a mountain region. If you are a flat lander such as myself keep in mind that most rental vehicles in Asturias are operated on manual transmission and the steep terrain can be challenging if you are not familiar with that sort of driving. I hope you visit Asturias in the near future. May your visit be as pleasant as ours.
I have posted a photo of my grandfather, Manuel Rodriguez Silva (1871-1933) and some photos of the sites we visited.

Lueje

Visiting Asturias 2018

Post by Lueje »

Hi Luis, I just became member of this forum. I am planning a trip on 2018 to Asturias to visit my grandfather's birth place, Libardon, Asturias. This has helped me in organizing my trip.
Love the pictures.

Saludos,
Lourdes

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”