Spanish Civil War Refugees in the U.S.

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Corsino

Post by Corsino »

In addition to the post about our book "We Came Alone - Solos en America", the other news is that most of my American family finally visited Asturias .
We were there in late June/early July. Unfortunately, my home in Castandiello had already been demolished for the construction of the new highway through the concejo of Aller, and had been replaced by the sign: "CASTANDIELLO 0.1 KM."
But there were some good news. We were able to meet Terechu and her husband, as well as Luis Argeo , the filmer of documentaries. Also , Alicia Pozo Gutierrez and Immaculada ( Imma) Colomina detoured from their trip through Spain so we could meet. Alicia is a lecturer at the University of Southampton, England. Imma is a researcher on the subject of Spanish refugees, and lives in Barcelona.
Since it was the first trip to Asturias for most of my American family , they met most of my Spanish family, who came to Carrio (across Rio Nalon from Pola de Laviana) for a family reunion.
Everybody, including Alicia and Imma, was impressed by the beautiful Asturian scenery.
stamargo

Post by stamargo »

Corsino wrote:It's been some time since my last post on the Forum, so I thought it's time for an update.
For a few years now, our group here in the U.S. have been busy writing our stories for a book. Since most of us are no longer very fluent in Spanish, several members of the Forum helped us with the translations into Spanish.
Just recently, the book was printed by the Spanish publisher "espanoles en el mundo" located in Madrid. The title of the book is "We Came Alone -Solos en America."
The publisher was kind enough to give each writer of his story copies of the book. I'm not sure if the publisher is selling the book or giving away free copies. Anyone interested for more information can e-mail Fundacion Ramon Rubial:
http://www.espanolesenelmundo.org/index.php?s=10
Thanks for the update. I will take a trip to Asturias one day myself.

Are there any plans for an English version of the book? There are a lot of people in Tampa with Spanish ancestors who might be interested in reading it.

You may want to get in touch with Dr. Gary Mormino. He's a professor at the University of South Florida who has written several books about immigration. He'd be interested, I'm sure, and could possibly give some advice about translators and publishers. Contact info:
http://www.cas.usf.edu/history/fs/mormino.htm

[Art: email address removed.]
Corsino

Post by Corsino »

Hi Stamargo
We first wrote our stories in English and later translated them into Spanish. Unfortunately, we were unable to interest a publisher in the English version. We do have the English version on a CD-ROM and throughout the years I've mailed quite a few CDs to those interested.
kad1964

Luis Diaz of Sama de Langreo

Post by kad1964 »

Just to update you, my father, Luis Suarez Diaz, and his brothers, Ben and Archie, came to the US on the Serpa Pinto. My father passed away June 21, 2017. His brothers both predeceased him. They have one remaining sibling, Lola, who still resides in Southern France.
Bob

Corsino - Cole Kivlin

Post by Bob »

Our friend Corsino, known to his US neighbors as Cole F. Kivlin, was born in Asturias April 5, 1930, and died in Texas on June 2, 2015.
kad1964

I'm so sorry!

Post by kad1964 »

I'm so sorry to hear of Corsino's passing. I remember hearing his name when my dad would tell stories, but I did not realize he had died. Thank you for letting me know.

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”