La Prensa Newspaper --a source for family history research?

If you can't figure out where else to post, say it here.<br>
Si no sabes dónde poner tu tema, pongalo aquí.

Moderator: Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

La Prensa Newspaper --a source for family history research?

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

In the book, Pinnick Kinnick Hill, La Prensa Newspaper published in New York was mentioned as a Spanish language newspaper which was established as a weekly publication in 1913 and converted into a daily in 1918.

According to the internet, it has had several mergers over the years, the latest in 2004, with La Opinion.

I am interested in the time period of 1913 to 1940. I suspect that it was sold in the Clarksburg area and was perhaps a source of family information. I am wondering if the publication contained job openings and opportunities for peoples of Spanish origins? Advertisements in that paper could explain how my father landed jobs in New York, New Jersey, and Ohio as a painter. It may also contain Soccer sport news about the Spanish League teams, and may also have articles about the West Virginia Asturians.

Apparently, it was also a connection to the other United States locations of Spanish speaking peoples who migrated here seeking opportunities. The old issues may contain a wealth of information. I am still hopeful that something new will turn up that explains our past.

Return to “General Discussion - Discusión general”