Antonio Gomez Fernandez

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Islandbaby

Antonio Gomez Fernandez

Post by Islandbaby »

Trying to locate my Family in Asturias.
My Grandfather was born October 29 or 30, 1878. He emigrated to Cuba around 1900's.
I have been told he was from Oviedo and he was one of 13 children.
He would travel from Cuba to Spain with my Grandmother Maria Nonell.
He emigrated to Tampa Fl in 1908.
He was a cigar maker in Tampa.
Last edited by Islandbaby on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome to the forum!

You'll want to read this message about what "Oviedo" means. Unfortunately, this news will probably makes your task harder.

Also, the last name Fernandez is very common in Asturias. I'm not sure about Gomez, so you'll want to check for that in the white pages in Asturias, as described in the following link. There are other ideas on this page, too.
https://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3375
Marta Elena Díaz García

Data

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hello, Islandbaby:

Have you the name of your grandfather's brothers?
It may help. It is quite difficult to find information only with your grandfather's name, as Art said, it is common.

I have found a Vicente Gomez Fernandez, from Panes (Oviedo) that emigrated to Cuba. Could he be a brother of your grandfather?.

Any name may help.

Marta.
Islandbaby

Post by Islandbaby »

I wish I did Marta. I am asking the cousins again if they remember any names that were mentioned.
Islandbaby

Post by Islandbaby »

All that I was able to find out is that my Grandfathers Mother’s name is Josepha.
Marta Elena Díaz García

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hi,

I was traying to find some information. The only thing I could find is a couple of notes in the Boletín Oficial de la Provincia de Oviedo, years 1895. I include here the copys. One is related with a inheritance and some of the heirs are absent (1895) and the other (1905) is a list with the names of the heads of houshold. In both you can see that Antonio Gomez Fernández is from the council of Tineo, and in the second, it is said that the small village is Villajulián (Council of Tineo).

I hope it is your grandfather. You can start asking for his baptism certificate to the parish of San Martín de Semproniana in the council of Tineo as Villajulian is a small village belonging that parish.

Marta

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”