World War I and II Asturian American Soldiers

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

World War I and II Asturian American Soldiers

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

I would like to see the names, photos, and biographies of each Asturian immigrant or descendant who fought in both World Wars under the American Flag posted in the forum. I believe that there were some living in the Clarksburg, West Virginia, area who enlisted in the American Army during World War I and II. Their stories would be of great interest to each generation of Asturian Americans and their families living in Asturias. Some of these Asturian men still had immigrant status and still enlisted. My father failed his induction physical; however, he had to do community service work during the war. He joined the Salvation Army and was a member of their musical band playing a drum. In 1942, he received his naturalized citizenship.

I personally have two first generation born Asturian American relatives who fought in World War II. Their mother, was my father's oldest sister. First Cousins, Joe and Manuel from Fairmont, West Virginia. Manuel was in the Navy and fought in the Pacific area, while Joe was aboard a ship that was sunk during the Landing at Anzio in Italy. Joe and one other sailor were the only two survivors of their ship. Nether one knew how to swim, and luckily they clung to the mast of the ship until rescued. The Captain, crew, and 200 infantry soldiers were all killed when a five hundred pound bomb struck their ship while trying to land the infantry close to shore. Joe died in the Huntington, West Virginia VA Hospital sometime in the 1970's. Joe's story was related to me from his brother, Manuel, while visiting with us. It is anecdotal; however, I am sure that there are details somewhere in newspaper articles and the Navy War archives. I last talked with Joe and his mother in 1971, when I moved to Morgantown, West Virginia.

I am not sure where Joe and the other sailor were positioned or stationed on the ship during the attempted infantry landing. It would be interesting to know how and why these two men out of about 500 were spared. I want to leave our grandson, Alexander, a legacy of our history and time in America, so that he will have an understanding of who the Asturians were who helped to shape American history and where we came from.

Joe was wounded and received several medals for his service to this country.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Manny,

The first photo on this page shows those from Anmoore who served in WWII.
https://www.asturianus.org/album/other1 ... hotos.html
Not all of these people had Spanish surnames.

I'd guess that the number from Clarksburg might be even larger. Maybe Ron Gonzalez has information on that?
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

I remember as a kid a big board , like a bill board but about half the size, at the top of the board it said “ Those Who Server “ . Some of the names had stares by them , and some didn’t, I don’t know what happened to it or if the names were just boys from Spelter . Thanks Manny for asking I almost forgot about it . I’ll look into your question see what I can find out
Bob

Post by Bob »

My father and all of his brothers except the oldest, served in the armed forces during WWII. The oldest, José, born in Asturias, was not eligible to serve because he had lost several fingers in an industrial accident. All the other siblings were born in Spelter, WV. Miguel was a Navy Seabee in the Philippines. Isaac (my father) was an Army sergeant machine gunner stationed in Hawaii. Victor fought in Italy and France. Gabriel rose from PFC to Captain, and was awarded two Distinguished Service Crosses, several Silver Stars and five Purple Hearts. The youngest, Manuel, was in the Navy, but the war ended before he saw combat. Two other children died in early childhood.
Manuell Alvarez

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

Thanks for the replies---I appreciate them very much.
Bob

Post by Bob »

My grandparents were eligible to display a service flag with a blue star for every son on active military duty during WWII. The declined because they felt it was their normal expectation that their sons would serve, not something that deserved special recognition. Some of the other Astran immigrant famiiies felt the same way.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ron Gonzalez wrote: a big board
Ron, was that board in Spelter?

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”