New to this site

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Robert

New to this site

Post by Robert »

Hello! :)

My name is Robert Molleda and I just found this website today while searching for information concerning looking up of civil records in Spain. I'm looking for information on my paternal grandparents side who originally came from Asturias. My understanding is that my great-great grandfather Miguel Molleda Piñeiro was from Llanes (beautiful port town on the eastern coast) and emigrated to Cuba along with 12 first cousins in the late 1800s (I am guessing 1880s). The cousins settled in different parts of Cuba, eventually my grandfather and father left Cuba in 1959 for the U.S. (Miami, FL to be exact).

My surname Molleda is of Asturian origin. It is quite uncommon in general but I've found quite a few Molledas in Asturias as well as the neighboring region of Cantabria (formerly Santander). There is a town called Molleda on the Rio Deva right on the border of Cantabria and Asturias (actually on the Cantabria side!), and I've found out of another town or neighborhood called Molleda in Corvera which is very near Aviles.

I've done quite a bit of internet research on Asturias to help me find out more about my ancestors, and this site is a welcome addition to my online library. I haven't had much of a chance to look around, but I like what I've seen so far. Congratulations on a job well done!

I guess my next step is to contact the civil registry in Llanes and hopefully they might have some information on my great-great grandfather. Any further tips/information that anyone may have is greatly appreciated!

I'll make sure to stop by regularly to check for replies as well as to look around the site a bit more. Take care!

Regards,

Robert
Bob

Writing to the Registro Civil

Post by Bob »

I've written to several Registro Civils in Asturias, with mixed success. Answers tend to take quite a few months, and are sent through the Spanish embassy or consulate in the US rather than directly to you. I have always offered to pay any reasonable fees, but there has never been a charge. The Registro Civil does need as much precise information as possible: given name, both surnames, year (or approximate) year of birth or other event, type of record requested, etc.

Carrying out a search means that someone will do you the favor of reading through many pages of old and difficult to decipher handwriting to find the information you are looking for. Be sure to ask for an actual photocopy of the original document, not a transcription (I have seen many errors and omissions introduced into these).

Write in castellano, if you can, or ask someone to translate your letter into castellano for you. Mention the reasons for your interest in the requested information (finding records your family of origin and possibly contacting living relatives, an impending trip to Asturias for the same reasons, etc.). In my opinion, the quality of the Spanish doesn't matter nearly as much as your having made the effort, and--of course--not everyone in the Registro Civil reads English. The Registro Civil didn't begin until about 1870 or 1871 at the earliest, and may not have been fuilly implemented in all towns until later.

In some cases, of course, the records have been lost or destoyed. For birth, death, and marriage records, you might also try writing to the parish priest if you can identify the proper parish.

Bob Martinez
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Once again, that's helpful info, Bob.

What kind of records do the Registro Civil have?

I assume that churches will have mostly records related to rites of passage, such as baptisms, marriages, and maybe deaths/funerals? Do churches have other records or other documents, too?
Robert

Post by Robert »

Bob,

Thanks for the info!

Robert

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”