Painful Collective Memory & Spain's 20th Century History

What is needed for Asturias to prosper?<br>
¿Qué se precisa para que Asturias prosperará?

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Painful Collective Memory & Spain's 20th Century History

Post by Art »

Yerba Segura sent me the message in the following two posts so I can share it with our members.

She is in North Carolina temporarily and interested in making contact with Asturian people who are living in or near North Carolina. Contact me (Art) for info on how to contact Yerba.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

There is currently in Spain an intense debate about the collective memory as it relates to the country’s history throughout the 20th century. The civil war and Franco’s dictatorship inflicted wounds in Spanish society that four decades of democratic rule have failed to cure. The decisions taken during the transition to democracy imposed a pact of silence, by which necessary public policies aimed at repairing the damage caused by Franco’s regime were rendered impossible. That is why civil society today continues to demand truth, justice and reparation for the thousands of people shot, disappeared, tortured or exiled. Spain is the world’s second country with the highest number of unopened mass graves, and time is running out for those who lived those events in person.

As a result, initiatives related to historical memory proliferate in today’s Spain: peoples’ initiated exhumation of mass graves, amendments to related legislation, dissemination of testimonies through different means (books, television, cinema...), related artistic and cultural creation (literature , poetry, music, etc.). There is an obvious need for Spanish society to open a space for collective reflection and debate about memory management policies implemented in the country in the recent decades.

PROPOSAL
Since I am visiting North Carolina until December 10, I am glad to make myself available to people and CSOs interested in this topic to participate in dissemination and awareness activities about historical memory in Spain. I would be glad to present our experience and documents in universities with Spanish history and society studies, or schools of Spanish as a foreign language that want to organize complementary activities for their advanced students, and others.

ABOUT ME
My name is Yerba Segura Suárez. I am 40 years old, the same age as 1978’s Spanish Constitution. I am a social worker and mediator, as well as a graduate in anthropology.

I am a great granddaughter of the Spanish Civil War, through the fate of José Casorra, my maternal great-grandfather. He was arrested, tortured and shot on April 21, 1938, in San Pedro de Tiraña (Asturias), along with 12 other people, without having committed any crime.

I belong to the fourth generation of a family repressed by Franco’s regime, who refused to forget their own history. Originally from a mining territory, where class consciousness and worker solidarity were strongly rooted, my grandmother's generation challenged the silence imposed by the dictatorship to create social spaces in which to elaborate their mourning through collective ceremonies. Since 1977, they promoted a public tribute in Tiraña cemetery, which every year brings us together to remember our losses and reflect on the consequences of war in Spanish society.

In 2014, we created the Association of Relatives and Friends of the Tiraña Mass Grave, of which I am a secretary. In 2018, we commemorated the 80th anniversary of the execution, carrying out several projects:

• With the collaboration of Cambalache ( https://www.localcambalache.org/ ), we have published Enesida García Suárez’s testimony, written at the end of the 70s, where she explains the impact of Franco's repression on her family, and how she survived the loss of her two parents at an early age, 12 years old. His notebook has given rise to the book "My childhood in the Franco regime [Tiraña, Asturies, 1938]". It includes the author’s manuscript and transcribed testimony, an allegorical sheet designed by Amelia Celaya, a complementary text entitled "When remembering is resisting" written by me, and photographs donated by the family. Second edition, September 2018. 90 pages. Copyleft license, and downloadable in PDF here: https://www.localcambalache.org/?page_i ... ibro=13562 .

• With the support of many people and civil society organizations, we have managed to get 6 people from the generation of the daughters and sons of the executed (Alfonso, Elías, Tino, Carmen, Sela and Pilar) to receive the Pozu Fortuna Award for their life-long effort defending collective memory and human rights in Asturias. (+ info: https://www.lne.es/cuencas/2018/10/21/f ... 67295.html )

• We have collaborated with La Caracola Social Initiatives in the socio-educational project "Tiraña en la memoria. 80 years building life and dancing sorrow". During 6 months, 30 boys and girls between 6 and 20 years of age were investigating historical memory through different activities. As a result they have built a stage show summarizing the history of the mass grave through dance and theater. DVD "Tiraña en la memoria". Duration: 90 minutes, approximately. More information about the project, on its blog (here: http://espaciocaracola.es/?page_id=832 ) and its Facebook page (here: https://www.facebook.com/danzandoenlamemoria/ ).

North Carolina, 20th november 2018
Last edited by Art on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

INTRODUCCIÓN
Actualmente, en España existe un fuerte debate interno sobre la memoria colectiva relacionada con la historia del país a lo largo del siglo XX. La guerra civil y la dictadura franquista provocaron heridas en la sociedad española que las cuatro décadas de régimen democrático no han sabido curar. Las decisiones que se tomaron durante la transición a la democracia, impusieron un pacto de silencio e imposibilitaron las necesarias políticas públicas destinadas a reparar el daño que el franquismo había provocado. Por eso hoy la sociedad civil sigue exigiendo verdad, justicia y reparación para las miles de personas fusiladas, desaparecidas, torturadas o exiliadas. España es el segundo país del mundo con más fosas comunes sin abrir, y se termina el tiempo para quienes vivieron aquellos hechos en primera persona.

Todo eso provoca que hoy en España proliferen las iniciativas relacionadas con la memoria histórica: exhumación de fosas comunes por iniciativa popular, modificaciones legislativas, difusión de testimonios a través de diferentes medios (libros, televisión, cine…), creación artística y cultural (literatura, poesía, música, etc). Es evidente que la sociedad española necesita abrir un espacio de reflexión colectiva y debate en relación a las políticas de gestión de la memoria implementadas en el país en las últimas décadas.

LA PROPUESTA
Dado que estoy de visita en North Carolina hasta el 10 de diciembre, me pongo a disposición de personas y entidades interesadas en este tema para participar en actividades de difusión y sensibilización sobre memoria histórica en España. Puedo presentar nuestra experiencia y documentos en universidades con estudios sobre historia y sociedad española o escuelas de español como lengua extranjera que quieran organizar actividades complementarias para sus estudiantes avanzados, u otras organizaciones interesadas.

LA PERSONA
Mi nombre es Yerba Segura Suárez. Tengo 40 años, como la Constitución Española de 1978. Soy trabajadora social y mediadora, además de licenciada en antropología.

Soy bisnieta de la Guerra Civil Española a través del destino de José Casorra, mi bisabuelo materno. Él fue detenido, torturado y fusilado (junto a otras 12 personas, y sin haber cometido ningún delito) el 21 de abril de 1938, en San Pedro de Tiraña (Asturias). Y así, la guerra entró a formar parte de la historia de mi familia. Investigar sobre este tema me ha permitido entender que la sociedad española actual es heredera de una confrontación interna inagotable entre dos formas de entender y construir un proyecto de país.

Pertenezco a la cuarta generación de una familia represaliada por el franquismo, que se negó a olvidar su propia historia. Originaria de un territorio minero, donde la conciencia de clase y la solidaridad obrera estaban fuertemente arraigadas, la generación de mi abuela desafió el silencio impuesto por la dictadura para crear espacios sociales en los que elaborar su duelo mediante rituales colectivos. Desde 1977, promovieron un homenaje público en el cementerio de Tiraña, que cada año nos reúne para recordar nuestras pérdidas y reflexionar sobre las consecuencias de la guerra en la sociedad española. En 2014, creamos la Asociación de Familiares y Amigos de la Fosa Común de Tiraña, de la que soy secretaria.

En 2018, hemos conmemorado el 80 aniversario del fusilamiento, llevando a cabo varios proyectos:

• Con la colaboración de Cambalache ( https://www.localcambalache.org/ ), hemos publicado el testimonio que Enesida García Suárez dejó escrito a finales de los años 70, donde explica el impacto de la represión franquista en su familia, y cómo sobrevivió a la pérdida de sus dos progenitores a la temprana edad de 12 años. Su cuaderno ha dado lugar al libro “Mi infancia en el franquismo [Tiraña, Asturies, 1938]”. Incluye el testimonio manuscrito y transcrito de la autora, una lámina alegórica diseñada por Amelia Celaya, un epilogo titulado “Cuando recordar es resistir” escrito por mí, y fotografías cedidas por la familia. Segunda edición, septiembre 2018. 90 páginas. Licencia copileft, y descargable en PDF aquí ( https://www.localcambalache.org/?page_i ... ibro=13562 ).

• Con el apoyo de muchas personas y entidades sociales, hemos logrado que 6 personas de la generación de las hijas e hijos de los fusilados (Alfonso, Elías, Tino, Carmen, Sela y Pilar) recibieran el Galardón Pozu Fortuna por su esfuerzo realizado a lo largo de su vida en la defensa de la memoria colectiva y de los derechos humanos en Asturias. (+ info: https://www.lne.es/cuencas/2018/10/21/f ... 67295.html )

• Hemos colaborado con La Caracola Iniciativas Sociales en el proyecto socioeducativo “Tiraña en la memoria. 80 años construyendo vida y danzando el dolor”. Durante 6 meses, 30 chicos y chicas de entre 6 y 20 años estuvieron investigando sobre memoria histórica a través de diferentes actividades. Y con ello, han construido un espectáculo escénico que a través de la danza y el teatro, resume la historia de la fosa común. DVD “Tiraña en la memoria”. Duración: 90 minutos, aproximadamente. Más información sobre el proyecto, en su blog (aquí: http://espaciocaracola.es/?page_id=832 ) y en su página de Facebook (aquí: https://www.facebook.com/danzandoenlamemoria/ ).

North Carolina, 20 de noviembre 2018

Return to “The Future of Asturias - El futuro de Asturias”