FAQFAQ          SearchSearch          MemberlistMemberlist          UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile          Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages          Log inLog in          
RMS Asturias and HMHS Asturias

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> General Discussion - Discusión general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manuell Alvarez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: RMS Asturias and HMHS Asturias Reply with quote

On the Wikipedia internet site, there are the stories of two ships that were built in Belfast Ireland and were named after the Principality of Asturias. The RMS Asturias was an ocean mail liner that was converted into an armed merchant cruiser during World War II and was torpedoed in 1943; however, it still sailed until it was scrapped in 1957.

The HMHS Asturias was a royal mail packet ship built in 1908 and during World War I was converted into a hospital ship. It was finally scrapped in Japan in 1933.

These stories are interesting, and have made me wonder why these British ships were named after Asturias?
Marta Elena Díaz García

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Manuell,

The Principe of Asturias was built in the shipyards of Kingston, England, by the Russell Co but the owner was a Spanish shipping company, the Naviera Pinillos. I suppose the name was given by the owner company not by the builder.

In this link, there is an interesting history and the mystery about this liner, along with wonderful pictures.

https://www.fordivers.com/en/blog/2013/10/09/el-hundimiento-del-principe-de-asturias-el-titanic-que-si-se-puede-bucear/

Manuell Alvarez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Marta,

Thank you for posting the information and photos of the Principe de Asturias. The sinking was quite a tragedy and loss of life. It split apart and the passengers and crew below deck had no chance of survival.

There was also an aircraft carrier in the Spanish Navy named the Principe of Asturias which was decommissioned and sold for scrap in 2013. On the internet there is a photo of the carrier participating in NATO exercises with two US and one British carrier. I am not sure if it has been replaced with another ship named after the Principality.

Manuell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> General Discussion - Discusión general All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: