Family in Spain, Visiting Asturias

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

mdmenendez

Family in Spain, Visiting Asturias

Post by mdmenendez »

As I mentioned in the post about my Great-Aunt Anita Menendez, my wife and I are coming to Spain at the end of May through the beginning week or so of June. We are starting with the Camino, and then we will spend a few days around Aviles.

My aunt was my source of family contacts and history, and like many people, I always thought that I had more time to discuss it. My Spanish is a bit rusty, but I’m working on it again and am hoping to find where exactly my family was from, or at least research my ancestry a bit while I am there. I love history, and I want to know my own.

My great grandparents met in the United States, but both came from Asturias. Sergio Menendez was born in Bañugues, Asturias in 1898 to, I believe, Manuel Menendez and Teresa Rodriguez. Maria Lourdes Lorenzo was born to Nicanor Lorenzo (possible parents Manuel Lorenzo and Florentina? Muniz) and Bernarda Martinez (parents Victor Martinez and Manuela Perez) born 1859, possibly in Ambas, Asturias.

I realize that they are about an hour apart. I’d love to know where to begin so that I can be efficient and not make my wife think that a big part of this trip is just sitting in churches looking at records. She loves me, but I’m not going to push it. Any help on where to start would be appreciated. If I can find some family, that would be great, but to even know where my family is buried so that I can pay my respects is just as good.
"You can pretend to be serious, you can't pretend to be witty." --Sacha Guitry
Xuaco

Post by Xuaco »

Hi, and sorry for my english..

There are at least two parishes called Ambas in Asturias, Santiago de Ambas in the county of Carreño and San Pedro de Ambas in Villaviciosa.

The books of both of them are in Oviedo, at "Archivo Historico Diocesano", (plaza Corrada del Obispo), it opens tuesday and thursday from 16:00 to 19:00 hours and friday from 10:00 to 13:00 hours.

I don´t know if Bañugues´books are there too or in the parish.

Best regards
Jasm

Post by Jasm »

Also, in Council of Grado is the parish of San Salvador de Ambas.
mdmenendez

Post by mdmenendez »

Thank you! Upon further review, I see that my great grandmother's place of birth is listed as Ambas de Carreno. So that gives me a place to start! Thank you again!
Xuaco wrote:Hi, and sorry for my english..

There are at least two parishes called Ambas in Asturias, Santiago de Ambas in the county of Carreño and San Pedro de Ambas in Villaviciosa.

The books of both of them are in Oviedo, at "Archivo Historico Diocesano", (plaza Corrada del Obispo), it opens tuesday and thursday from 16:00 to 19:00 hours and friday from 10:00 to 13:00 hours.

I don´t know if Bañugues´books are there too or in the parish.

Best regards
Jasm

Post by Jasm »

In 1906, the list of youngs for militar service who are going to turn 20 in 1907 is published, and they have to go to the military service to the Spanish Navy, and there is a Marcelino Menéndez Rodríguez from Bañugues son of Manuel and Teresa.
In 1917, the City Council of Gozón quotes José Menéndez Rodríguez, from Bañugues son of Manuel and Teresa, for military service, since neither he, nor his parents nor his family member lives in the Council.
I do not know if they will have to do with you.
When his ancestor was born in 1898, his data may be found in the Civil Register of Gozón, in the Court of Peace, since the Civil Registry begins in Spain in 1870, although it is true that certain populations have previous Civil Registries.
The parish of Bañugues has baptized books from the s. XVII, in the year 2001 was in the parish, but may have been transferred to the Diocesan Archive of Oviedo, try to clarify the place where they are deposited next week.
I apologize if I have wasted him your valuable time and by my English.

The Diocesan Archive, is in Oviedo where the Saint James way was born, and King of Asturias, Alfonso II El Casto was the first pilgrim, and you remember “he who goes to Santiago and not to the Cathedral of the Holy Savior (Oviedo), visits the servant but not his master.”
http://whereisasturias.com/the-camino-p ... ginal-way/
http://whereisasturias.com/the-northen- ... tal-route/
mdmenendez

Post by mdmenendez »

Your English is quite good, and you have wasted none of my time.
I am so appreciative of your help! You have given me so much valuable information. From documents I have of Sergio, it appears that he was born in Banugues but moved to Salinas before coming to the United States. Since the tale is that he snuck out of the house when he was 18, it is a good bet that the whole family moved to Salinas. That could be why the City Council of Gozon says that neither Jose nor his parents lived in the council on that record, as Salinas is part of Castrillón. If anything I have more pieces t play with and try to put together. Thank you again!
Jasm wrote:In 1906, the list of youngs for militar service who are going to turn 20 in 1907 is published, and they have to go to the military service to the Spanish Navy, and there is a Marcelino Menéndez Rodríguez from Bañugues son of Manuel and Teresa.
In 1917, the City Council of Gozón quotes José Menéndez Rodríguez, from Bañugues son of Manuel and Teresa, for military service, since neither he, nor his parents nor his family member lives in the Council.
I do not know if they will have to do with you.
When his ancestor was born in 1898, his data may be found in the Civil Register of Gozón, in the Court of Peace, since the Civil Registry begins in Spain in 1870, although it is true that certain populations have previous Civil Registries.
The parish of Bañugues has baptized books from the s. XVII, in the year 2001 was in the parish, but may have been transferred to the Diocesan Archive of Oviedo, try to clarify the place where they are deposited next week.
I apologize if I have wasted him your valuable time and by my English.

The Diocesan Archive, is in Oviedo where the Saint James way was born, and King of Asturias, Alfonso II El Casto was the first pilgrim, and you remember “he who goes to Santiago and not to the Cathedral of the Holy Savior (Oviedo), visits the servant but not his master.”
http://whereisasturias.com/the-camino-p ... ginal-way/
http://whereisasturias.com/the-northen- ... tal-route/

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”