Family heirloom

Clothing, needlecraft, carving, sewing, etc.<br>
Ropa, prenda de punto, costura, tallado, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

yapper

Family heirloom

Post by yapper »

My Fernandez ancestor was baptized in Gijon in the early 1800s. Throughout the years, a cherished tapestry has passed from generation to generation. My mother would display our bible (another family heirloom) onto this woven fabric runner (approx 35x15 in size) during special occasions or Catholic holidays. Oddly enough, the patterns on the textile appear to be more Islamic (8 pointed star motif on corners & Arabic type script on borders) then Christian perhaps influenced by Moors when they invaded Spain? Not sure what type of language was used within monograms but could it be Andalusian calligraphy?

I was hoping that someone would recognize the fabric design and help to identify its origin or symbolism. Any insight that can be provided is appreciated!

Thanks for your help in solving this family puzzle, Laurie

[/img]
Bob

Post by Bob »

Have you noticed that the characters along each of the four borders have a right/left mirror image symmetry?
yapper

Post by yapper »

Yep, it does appear to have some type of "mirror" repeat in the design
Marta Elena Díaz García

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hi, Yapper:

I don't think the type script is arabic but probably persian or hindi. In the picture you can see a similar rug, with an unknown script also with right/left symmetry. I included the hindi alphabet, although probably the script in the tapestries is not a language but an artist creation.

Return to “Handicrafts - Artesanía”