FAQFAQ          SearchSearch          MemberlistMemberlist          UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile          Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages          Log inLog in          
Family heirloom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Handicrafts - Artesanía
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yapper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Family heirloom Reply with quote

My Fernandez ancestor was baptized in Gijon in the early 1800s. Throughout the years, a cherished tapestry has passed from generation to generation. My mother would display our bible (another family heirloom) onto this woven fabric runner (approx 35x15 in size) during special occasions or Catholic holidays. Oddly enough, the patterns on the textile appear to be more Islamic (8 pointed star motif on corners & Arabic type script on borders) then Christian perhaps influenced by Moors when they invaded Spain? Not sure what type of language was used within monograms but could it be Andalusian calligraphy?

I was hoping that someone would recognize the fabric design and help to identify its origin or symbolism. Any insight that can be provided is appreciated!

Thanks for your help in solving this family puzzle, Laurie

[/img]
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you noticed that the characters along each of the four borders have a right/left mirror image symmetry?
yapper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it does appear to have some type of "mirror" repeat in the design
Marta Elena Díaz García

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Yapper:

I don't think the type script is arabic but probably persian or hindi. In the picture you can see a similar rug, with an unknown script also with right/left symmetry. I included the hindi alphabet, although probably the script in the tapestries is not a language but an artist creation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Handicrafts - Artesanía All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: