Alvarez Win Photo

Discussion of photos in the AsturianUS.org photo album pages.<br>
Discusión de fotos en las páginas del álbum de fotos de AsturianUS.org.

Moderator: Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

Alvarez Win Photo

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

Manuell Alvarez

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

The Horse, Gang Moll was owned by my mother. Dad used a surrogate trainer due to a conflict with his work as an employee at the Charles Town Racetrack. I have included an anecdote concerning this horse.

THE RADIO TUNER
By Manuell Alvarez

The radio in our kitchen was always tuned to the Wheeling, West Virginia, radio station and I would later in life reason that Mom and Dad wanted to listen for the news from her hometown of Weirton. No one dare change that channel for it was hard to tune back in. The Wheeling station played country music which we children could not tell anyone about for fear of ridicule. In the 1950’s, country music was not very popular among most people in Jefferson County; although, I suspect many secretly listened as we did and enjoyed country music.
Mom was preparing Saturday night’s supper as we children were hungrily watching in the kitchen. Dad was away working at the track. Mom had one last minute chore to do and then we could sit down to eat our evening meal.
When supper was ready, all of us except our youngest brother sat down at the kitchen table. For some unknown reason, he decided to change channels on the radio, and I can still hear Mom scolding him until he stopped abruptly on a channel and after she heard the following announcement, “Mrs. Helen Alvarez’s, Gang Moll has won the seventh race at The Cumberland Fairgrounds Racetrack”, she forgot all about him and his mischief. She turned off the radio and we started to eat.
Moments later my father walked in the door and sat down to celebratory supper with us and we children enjoyed my parents’ happiness. With all six of us there together it was a happy moment and the supper fare seemed like a banquet thanks to our “Gang Moll” and the radio tuner.

Return to “Our Photo Album - Nuestro álbum de fotos”