Looking for info on Genaro Fernandez Rodriguez

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

toddwest63

Looking for info on Genaro Fernandez Rodriguez

Post by toddwest63 »

My great grandfather was Genaro Fernandez Rodriguez. He was know as Welo. He was born in Spain but came to the US in 1911 and settled in Ziesing, WV (Spelter). But eventually moved to Donora, PA. We have been told that he married Carrie Morrison but I have not been able to find any information about her. Genaro was born in 1892 and died in 1966. Genaro and Carrie had 3 children - Clarence, Stella and Joseph. We know that Stella was born in Spelter.

I am looking for someone that may have known either Genaro and/or Carrie Morrison.

Thanks,
Todd
Eric Smith Fernandez

Post by Eric Smith Fernandez »

Hola primo,

Hi cousin. You must be related to Rodger. My great grandfather was José Fernandez Rodriguez. He was your greay-grandfathers older brother. They came over on the same ship together. The name of the ship was the Hudson. It sailed from La Coruña in 1911.

Many members of our family have been nicknamed "Cardina" be cause our bisabuelos were from 'Cardo". You can contact me through this forum and I can email you privately if you want. Feel free to view any messages I have posted that may help you in finding information about your family.

Good luck in your quest,

Eric.
Last edited by Eric Smith Fernandez on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soy un estudiante. Quiero estar seguro de que estoy escribiendo bien Si alguien se da cuenta de los errores gramaticales míos en los mensajes ¿Me puede avisar?
toddwest63

Post by toddwest63 »

Eric,

My mother, Beverly Fernandez, is Rodger's cousin. Her father was Clarence Fernandez. We have been in contact with him regarding what info he has on the family as well. He actually forwarded an email you had sent to him that had a couple videos attached. I've been doing a family tree on the Fernandez side and have run into a wall when it comes to my great grandmother who I was told was Carrie Morrison Fernandez. I guess I'm hoping that someone will recognize the name and contact me. Rodger told me that you spent a year in Spain. Would definitely like to visit there someday.

Thanks for the reply.

Todd
Bob

Post by Bob »

"Welo" is most likely "abuelo" (castellano) or "güelu" (asturianu). Both mean "grandfather."

For Pennsylvania documents from this era, the county courthouse is your best bet.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Good catch, Bob!

Also, they may have gotten married in Harrison County, WV, if they spent time in Spelter. I'd check there, too.

-------------------------

¡Muy buena idea, Bob!

También es posible que se casara en Harrison County, WV, si vivieron en Spelter. Buscaría allí, también.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Todd
Was Carrie Morrison from Spelter? If so, I'll ask some of the older people about her. The names in your post are not familiar to me, but the name "West" is. The West family lived in Spelter. There were two brothers, Willard and Cash. That last one could be a nickname; I don't know. When I was a kid, that's what everyone called him, "Cash." Now that I think about it, his name was Cashies It's been a long time.
toddwest63

Post by toddwest63 »

Ron,

Thanks for the reply. West is actually my middle name and is a family name on the other side of my family which is Anderson. I am pretty sure Carrie did live in Spelter because Genaro and Carrie had 3 children and we know for a fact that their only daughter, Stella, was born in Spelter. Unfortunately, her son has verified that there is no birth certificate because she was born at home. Stella was born on Aug 23 1918. I have not been able to find a marriage certificate but with the other suggestions here, my next step is to contact Harrison County. Just not sure if their records go back that far. Hopefully they do. My assumption is that Genaro and Carrie were married sometime between 1911 and 1914 when their first child, Clarence was born.

Would definitely appreciate you talking to some of the older residence about Carrie. We're pretty sure with a name like Morrison that she is Irish.

The search continues. . .

Todd
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Todd
Try this link I don't know if it will help you or not.

http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_select.aspx
toddwest63

Post by toddwest63 »

Thanks Ron. I'll be sure to check it out.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ron, I wonder if Cashies is "Casius"? I think that's a Spanish spelling. Other variants are: Kassius, Cassius, Cassias. Well, I suppose this isn't related to Todd's search!

-----------------------

Ron, me pregunto si "Cashies" era "Casius"? Creo que es una ortografía española. Otras variantes son: Kassius, Cassius, Cassias. Bueno, supongo que ésto no está relacionado con la búsqueda de Todd!
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Todd
I've talked to some of the older people in Spelter about Carrie Morrison and they tell me the name is not familiar to them, They don't remenber a Morrison living in Spelter. The people that I talk to were well into their 80s. Sorry that I could not have been more help.

Art
Yes it is Casius.
toddwest63

Post by toddwest63 »

Ron,

Thanks so much for doing that. Guess I might need to go in a different direction with my great grandmother. Sure appreciate everyone's time on this.

Todd
Bob

Post by Bob »

West Virginia borth certificates, death certificates and marriage licenses can be obtained by following the information at http://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/oehp/hsc/vr/birtcert.htm#dwho
toddwest63

Post by toddwest63 »

Ron,

I wanted to thank you for sending me that web link for WV. I actually was able to find my great grandparents marriage certificate. Genaro Fernandez and Carrie Morrison were married on Oct 11, 1913 in Harrison County. It also verified that Carrie was born in Harrison County but does not specify a town. I also was able to find out who Carries father was which was a missing piece for me.

Thanks again

Todd
toddwest63

Follow up info

Post by toddwest63 »

It's been quite a long time since I posted on this forum. I wanted to follow up with some information regarding my grandfather. Technically his legal name was Clarence, but the story goes that his father (Genaro) named him Joseph Angel Fernandez (to honor two of Genaro's brothers Joseph and Angel). However, Genaro's wife Carrie (Morrison) had put Clarence on the birth certificate to honor her half-brother.

I don't imagine too many referred to my grandfather as Clarence. He was know to us kids a pappaw and to everybody else he was know simply as Pepe...
Todd West Anderson

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”