Puente family in Depue, Illinois and Donora, PA

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

blancopen

Puente (Wagner)-Ties to De Pue

Post by blancopen »

You asked about Puente family. Your grandparents' (Manuel and Fartorsa) children were Ceferino, Caemina, Manuel, Elada, Joe, Lucy and Elizabeth. Your grandmother's sister was Delfina; she married Manuel Garcia. They had a large family including a son, Joseph. You still have numerous relatives living around De Pue. Please respond, they would like to get in touch with you. They have been wondering what became of Cef? We have been researching the Spainish families that settled in De Pue and have a lot of information about various families. We're willing to share.
blanco

---------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Preguntabas por la familia Puente. Los hijos de tus abuelos (Manuel y Fartorsa) eran Ceferino, Carmina, Manuel, Elada, Joe, Lucy y Elizabeth. La hermana de tu abuela se llamaba Delfina, que se casó con Manuel Garcia. Eran una familia numerosa, incluyendo a su hijo Joseph. Aún tienes muchos familiares viviendo en el área de DePue. Por favor, responde a este mensaje. A ellos les encantaría ponerse en contacto contigo. Se preguntaban qué habría sido de Cef. Hemos estado investigando sobre las familias españolas que se asentaron en DePue y tenemos mucha información sobre varias de ellas. Estaremos encantados de compartirla.
blanco
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I've written David a message to let him know about your post. Unfortunately, his email address is not working. Let's see if he'll respond. I've put a message here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =9089#9089

Note: It's important that your email address be up-to-date. You can change it here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/profile ... ditprofile

------------------------

He escrito a David para avisarle de tu mensaje. Desafortunadamente, su correo no funciona. A ver si responderá. He puesto un mensaje aquí: http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =9089#9089

Nota: Es importante que tu dirección de correo se al día. Se puede cambiarla aquí:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/profile ... ditprofile
Art
Site Admin

David, there is a message directed to you on the forum

Post by Art »

David, there is a message directed to you on the forum here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1757

Also, please update your email address in your profile. We don't want to lose contact with you!
Sonia Garcia Mandzok

Ties to De Pue

Post by Sonia Garcia Mandzok »

Blancopen, In your post you stated you have information of Spanish families that lived in De Pue. I am trying to find any relatives that I may have and have been unsuccessful. I found a letter in my father's effects written to him by a Joe Lopez, whose mother was Ramona Vega, stepfather was Jose "Ambas" Vega. Apparently (according to the letter)my father, Manuel "Patas" Garcia was a well known handler & trainer of game cocks and friends with a Pedro Manriquez, also a gamer. Although I am sure that these people are no longer with us, I am hoping for a thread of information that can possibly help me. I know I had relatives in the St. Louis/East St. Louis area. My father came from Asturias to Cherryville KS along with his brother Jose Maria (Joe) Garcia. His brother Alfonso and sister Paulina (Lola) were already living in Cherryville. Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Blancopen:

En tu mensaje dices que tienes información de familias españolas que vivieron en DePue. Estoy tratando de localizar a algún familiar y no he tenido mucho éxito. Encontré una carta entre los efectos personales de mi padre remitida por un tal Joe Lopez, cuya madre era Ramona Vega y su padrastro Jose “Ambas” Vega. Por lo que se ve, según la carta, mi padre (Manuel “Patas” Garcia) era un conocido entrenador de gallos de pelea y amigo de Pedro Manriquez, también jugador. Aunque estoy seguro de que estas personas ya no se encuentran entre nosotros, espero encontrar un hilo que pueda ayudarme. Sé que tenía familia en la zona de St. Louis/ East St. Louis. Mi padre llegó de Asturias a Cherryville (Kansas) junto a su hermano Jose Maria (Joe) Garcia. Su hermano Alfonso y su hermana Paulina (Lola) ya vivían en Cherryville. Gracias.
blancopen

De Pue Families

Post by blancopen »

Sonia:
We knew Joe Lopez and Ramona Vega quite well. What information are you looking for? We would be glad to help. Was your Garcia related to them? By the way, Pedro Manrriquez was not from Asturias. He was from Mexico.

-------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Sonia:

Conocíamos bastante bien a Joe Lopez y Ramona Vega. ¿Qué información buscas? Estaríamos encatados de ayudarte. ¿El Garcia por el que preguntas estaba relacionado con ellos? A propósito: Pedro Manriquez no era asturiano, era mexicano.
Sonia Garcia Mandzok

Ties to De Pue

Thanks so much for responding. I am looking for information from anyone who may have known my father (or of him) that can lead me to finding lost relatives. The only reference to Pedro Manrriquez was in the letter that Joe wrote to my father; I never heard him mention that name. I don't believe that my Dad was related to the Vega family, but that they somehow knew him from his Cherryville days. Joe had seen my Dad's name in the Grit & Steel, a magazine for cockfighting fans, and written to him. I only found that letter recently and don't know of any further correspondence they may have had. I know my Dad worked the Zinc circuit, ending up in Donora at the Zinc Works. I know there was a Langaloth connection also, because he frequently talked about it and visited there often. When I was very young we had visitors from the St. Louis area that were related to my Dad but I don't remember their name. If only I had paid more attention......... Thanks again.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana
Muchas gracias por responder. Estoy buscando información de cualquier persona que haya conocido a mi padre (o sobre mi padre) que pueda llevarme a encontrar a familiares perdidos. La única referencia que tengo sobre Pedro Manriquez es la que estaba en la carta que Joe escribió a mi padre. Nunca le escuché mencionar ese nombre. No creo que mi padre fuese familia de los Vega, pero éstos sí le conocían de sus días en Cherryville. Joe había visto el nombre de mi padre en la revista Grit & Steel (para aficionados a las peleas de gallos) y le escribió. Encontré esa carta hace poco y no tengo constancia de más correspondencia que puedan haber tenido. Sé que mi padre trabajó en el circuito de fábricas de zinc y que acabó en la de Donora, en la Zinc Works. También sé que había alguna conexión con Langaloth, porque a menudo hablaba sobre ello e iba de visita. Cuando yo era joven recibíamos visitas de gente de la zona de St. Louis que tenían relación con mi padre, pero no recuerdo sus nombres. Ojalá hubiera prestado más atención... Te reitero mi agradecimiento.

Sonia
blancopen

Garcia thread

Post by blancopen »

Sonia,
It would help if we had a date (birth or death) or spouse for your father. There are so many Garcia connections.
1) Manuel (1906) brought his sons to St. Louis; returned to Spain to his family. Died before he could get them over here. However, his wife, Delfina Garcia Garcia came with the younger children. (abt 1914) and went to St. Louis because she had family there. Their grandson, Manuel (b abt 1930)lived in St. Louis.
2) Another Garcia family had a Manuel in Gary, IN in the 1960's. There were two bros. in Spain at that time named Paulino and Eratio.
3) A third Garcia family married a daughter of Manuel and Delfina. They lived in Chicago. (1929)
There were a couple of additional Garcia families who are connected to our project. Our own family has 2 Garcia connections. It seems most of the families have connections to Donora, Cherryvale, various towns in West Virginia, St. Louis and Oklahoma. If they started out as boarders in the same household, they eventually ended up as family. Some boarders were already family from other states. If we had dates for your Manuel, it might help if we run into him during our research.
We will also check with Joe Lopez' half-brother, Ramona Garcia Vega's son, to see if he remembers mention of your father.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Sonia:

Sería de gran utilidad tener una fecha (de nacimiento o defunción) o el nombre de la mujer de tu padre. Hay muchos Garcia.

1) Manuel (1906) trajo a sus hijos a St. Louis; regresó a España con su familia. Falleció antes de que pudiera traerlos aquí. Su mujer, Delfina Garcia Garcia, vino con sus hijos pequeños (entorno a 1914) a St. Louis, ya que tenía familia allí. Su nieto, Manuel (1930) vivió en St. Louis.
2) Otra familia Garcia tenía un Manuel en Gary (Indiana) en los 60. Eran dos hermanos, Paulino y Eratio.
3) Un tercer miembro Garcia estaba casado con una hija de Manuel y Delfina. Vivían en Chicago (1929). Había otro par de familias de apellido Garcia relacionadas con nuestro proyecto. Nuestra propia familia tiene dos conexiones con Garcia. Por lo que se ve la mayoría de las familias tenían relación con Donora, Cherryvale, distintas ciudades de Virginia Occidental, St. Louis y Oklahoma. Si empezaron como huéspedes en la misma vivienda, terminaron siendo familia. Algunos huéspedes eran familiares de otros estados. Si tuviéramos fechas del Manuel que buscas podría a ayudarnos a localizarle durante nuestra investigación. También lo cotejaremos con el hermanastro de Joe Lopez, hijo de Ramona Vega, para ver si recuerda algo de tu padre.
Sonia Garcia Mandzok

Garcia thread

My Dad was born in Arnao, May 24, 1900 and came to the US around 1910 or so along with his brother, Jose Maria Garcia. They went to Cherryvale and lived with his sister Lola (Paulina) and her husband, a Vasco, Juan (the last name being either Talot or Jalot, to my recollection) My Dad's parents were Franciso Garcia & Juana Vazquez, both having died when he was a child. Until he came to the US he & my uncle were raised by his grandmother, Generosa. I don't know if she was his maternal or paternal grandmother. He had a brother Alfonso, also living in Cherryvale, and he was married to Rosa Vallina. They and their children returned to Spain to live but after a few years, he returned to the US alone.

I know my Dad returned to Spain sometime in his 20's and then came back to the US permanently. He talked about living in St. Louis and East St. Louis, but I don't know how old he was at the time. From his stories he seemed to travel in that area.

I am grateful that you have taken the time to respond to me. Thanks.

Sonia
ranipear

Puente Family Links

Post by ranipear »

Hello.
I was hoping to email because I know this post is very old. I am Leesa Ann Pearson's (Puente) daughter. Her father is Manuel J Puente and mother is Laura Buck. Manuel had siblings, Ceferino, Carmina, Lucy, Etc. His father was also Manuel Puente Somonte to my knowledge. I am trying to find any family history I can find for my records and my mother. Please let me know if anyone can help me. They seemed to have lived in Donora PA and Selby Il.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Ranipear!

I've combined the two threads because they appear to go together.

----------------------

¡Bienvenida, Ranipear!

He combinado los dos temas, ya que parece que están relacionados.
jmo

Puente Family

Post by jmo »

Greetings to everyone, as I´m new in this forum.

My name is José María Osoro and I currently live in Pola de Siero, Asturias, Spain. For some time, I have been trying to find out about my origins and my ancestors. I am a great-great-grandson of Rufina Puente Somonte, born on July 30, 1864 in Pola de Siero. Rufina, from what my mother always told me, was a teacher like her and my grandfather. Rufina was married to Ceferino Jesús Fernández Alonso, born in Oviedo in 1863 and died in Avilés in 1935, due to being run over by a car. Ceferino worked as Crop Manager at the Lieres Sugar Factory (Siero). Rufina and Ceferino lived in Siero and Avilés, both municipalities in Asturias. One of her sons, Benjamín Fernández Puente, born in 1892 and died in 1965, was my great-grandfather.

I am writing all this to ask you if you know that Rufina Puente Somonte, my great-great-grandmother, and Manuel Puente Somonte were brothers as it seems.

I would appreciate any information in this regard, just as I would gladly exchange the information that I have in this regard.

With my best wishes.

José María Osoro

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”