Sopa de Pan

Broths, purees, & more.<br>
Caldos, purés, y más.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

El Tampeno

Sopa de Pan

Post by El Tampeno »

My Abuela would often make a simple soup from left-over bread, onions, garlic and chorizos..."Sopa de Pan". This was often eaten as a light lunch.

Was this something anyone else remembers eating as a child (or currently)? Sounds like one of those ways to use every bit of leftovers........no waste allowed!!!

This is one of those foods that takes me down memory lane.
Tony Carreno/Tampa Florida
Germán

Post by Germán »

Well, if you add sweet paprika and olive oil, that could make up a "sopa castellana" (Castilian soup). More frequently, it comes with egg instead of onion, and the "chorizo" is substitued by cured ham. Or it can be done without any of these complements, as in the more classic recipes for "sopas de ajo" (garlic soup).

I don't think these soups are so popular in Asturias as they are in Castile, though, of course, they are also eaten there. I guess that such a simple and elemental dish is likely to be found almost everywhere (at least in the Iberian Peninsula), with slight differences. It must have been quite common during hard times. But simplicity is not at odds with taste, and they are offered in the finest restaurants as well.

By the way, it is a tradition in Spanish bars and cafés to serve "sopas de ajo" on New Year's Day, along with "chocolate con churros". They are eaten at dawn as a pick-me-up after a long night of celebration.

----------------------------

Bueno, si le añades pimentón y aceite de oliva, podrías tener una sopa castellena. Más frecuentemente, lleva huevo en vez de cebolla y el jamón serrano sustituye al chorizo. O se puede prescindir de todos estos complementos, como en las más clásicas recetas de sopas de ajo.

No me parece que estas sopas gocen de tanta populaidad en Asturias como en Castilla, aunque por supuesto también se comen allí. Supongo que un plato tan simple y básico es fácil de encontrar casi en cualquier parte (al menos de la península), con pequeñas diferencias. Debe haber sido bastante común en los tiempos más duros. Pero la sencillez no está reñida con el gusto, y también se sirven en restaurantes de lo más selecto.

Por cierto, es tradición en España servir sopas de ajo en bares y cafeterías en Año Nuevo, y también chocolate con churros. Se toman al amanecer, como reconstituyente después de una larga noche de folixa.

Return to “Soups - Sopas”