Donora PA Soccer Team - Equipo de Fútbol

Discussion of photos in the AsturianUS.org photo album pages.<br>
Discusión de fotos en las páginas del álbum de fotos de AsturianUS.org.

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Donora PA Soccer Team - Equipo de Fútbol

Post by Art »

I've posted what I think is a 1920 (more or less) photo of the Donora Pennsylvania (PA) soccor team. Supposedly they played in Bayonne New Jersey (NJ), and that is where the photo was taken. The photo doesn't look like Bayonne (the little I know of Bayonne), so I doubt that part of the story.

We know that one of the players (back row, second from right) is César Fernández Alvarez, my great uncle (brother of my grandfather).

Does anyone know any of the other players or any more about the story?

-----------

He puesto lo que pienso es un foto del año 1920 (más o menos) del equipo de fútbol de Donora Pennsylvania (PA). Supuestamente, jugaron en Bayonne New Jersey (NJ), y esto es donde se sacó el foto. Dudo que fue sacado en Bayonne porque no parece Bayonne en el foto (lo poco que sé de Bayonne).

Sabemos que uno de los jugadores (segundo de la derecha, de la última fila) es César Fernández Alvarez, mi tío abuelo (hermano de mi abuelo).

¿Conoce alguien a los otros jugadores o más sobre la historia?
DPuente

Post by DPuente »

Ola' Cousin Art
I just saw the photo of the Donora soccer team. One of the players, 4th from the left on the bottom row, with the kid in his lap, is my uncle Jack Puente. After seeing this I called his son, my cousin Mike, who confirmed that it is definitely his dad, and told me that he (Jack) was a pretty good soccer player. As far as dating it, since Jack was born in 1908 I would guess the date is more like the mid 1920s.
David Puente Wagner

traducion:
Hi primo Art
Acabo de ver el foto del equipo de futbol de Donora. Uno de los jugadores, sentado quarto desde la isquierda con el nino en frente, es mi tio Jack Puente. Despes de verlo llame' mi primo Mike, quien confirmo sin duda que es su padre en la foto, e que Jack era un futbolista de un cierto nivel. En quanto la fecha, Jack nacio' en 1908, asi que la fecha seria' mas como la metad de los anos 20.
David Puente Wagner
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, cousin David! Boy, this is great! Our Asturian ancestors really did know each other!

I've changed the text on that photo. Thanks for the update. Do you know who the child is? Do you think this is the Donora team or if they were playing in Bayonne NJ?

--------------

¡Hola, primo mio, David! ¡Vaya, qué bien! Nuestros antepasados asturianos realmente se conocieran.

He cambiado el texto para esta foto. Gracias para añadir a los datos. ¿Sabes el nombre del niño? ¿Pensas que es el equipo de Donora o si estuvieran en Bayonne NJ?
svgev
Translator

Soccer

Post by svgev »

Does anybody remember the colors of the uniform? Looks like the Stadium de Oviedo or Real Aviles: blue stripes on white background and blue shorts.
rick14

Post by rick14 »

My Great Uncle Jess was on a team in Donora called the Spanish Maroons. His name is Jesus Rodriguez, our whole family is from Donora,Pa.

Return to “Our Photo Album - Nuestro álbum de fotos”