Aviles to Havana to US: Rodríguez De La Insula Menéndez

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Cherl

Aviles to Havana to US: Rodríguez De La Insula Menéndez

Post by Cherl »

Hello to everyone! My name is Cherl and I am here hoping to find some of the family of my mother-in-law, Carmen (maiden name Mullon). Carmen's mother was Sabina Celesta or Celestina Rodriguez of Aviles, Asturias, Spain. She left and went to Havana to work and then came to the United States from Cuba in 1912. Sabina came to St.Louis. One of her brothers, John Rodriguez also came to St. Louis. Much later their mother came to St.Louis, but she didn't like it here and went back to Spain. From a letter we also know that Sabina had another brother Baoldomero who was in Cuba for a while. We think her parents names might be Manuel Rodriguez Menendez and Maria Jesus de la Insula. We are happy to find this website and hope to find more about Asturias and her relatives.
--------------------------------
Transl. Terechu

Hola a todos! Me llamo Cherl y estoy aquí porque espero encontrar a parientes de mi suegra, Carmen (apellido de soltera Mullon). La madre de Carmen fue Sabina Celesta o Celestina Rodriguez, de Avilés. Se fué a La Habana y luego a Estados Unidos desde Cuba en 1912. Sabina se vino a St. Louis. Uno de sus hermanos, John Rodríguez, también vino a St. Louis. Much más tarde su madre también se vino, pero no le gusto estó y volvió a España. Por una carta sabemos que Sabina tenía otro hermano, Baldomero, quien estuvo en Cuba durante un tiempo. Creemos que sus padres se llamaban Manuel Rodríguez Menéndez y María Jesús de la Insula. Estamos muy contentos de haber encontrado este sitio y esperamos encontrar más sobre Asturias y sus parientes.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hi Cherl and welcome to our forum. I hope you get lucky and find the relatives you are looking for. As to Menéndez, I believe almost two out of three "Avilesinos" bear that surname :lol: , so you can imagine that Rodriguez Menéndez is quite common, but "de la Insula" is very strange. Are you sure it's not "Insua"? There are some folks in Avilés with that surname, see White Pages below:

eslabón

------------------------------------------

Hola Cherl y bienvenida a nuestro foro. Espero que tengas suerte y encuentres a los familiares que buscas. En cuanto a Menéndez, creo que 2 de cada 3 avilesinos se apellidas así :lol: , de manera que ya te imaginarás que Rodríguez MEnéndez es bastante común. En cambio "de la Insula" es muy raro. Estás segura de que no es "Insua"? Porque hay gente con ese apellido en Avilés, mira las Páginas Blancas:

eslabón

Saludos
Terechu
Cherl

Post by Cherl »

Dear Terechu,
Thank you for the welcome. I went back to my notes. The information that I have came from parish records that a friend of my mother-in-law got from Jose Manuel Feito in Miranda De Aviles. Sabina's reads Rodriguez De La Insula, Sabina Celestina. Born and baptised in Miranda in April 27, 1885. Her father is Manuel Rodriguez of Luarca-Cadavedo and her mother is Maria Jesusa De La Insula of Miranda. Manuels parents are Pedro Rodriguez of Luarca-Cadavedo and Genara Menendez of Luarca-Treavias-Villanueva. Maria's parents are Jose De La Insula of Miranda and Nicolasa Gonzalez of Miranda. The godparents are Celestino Suarez and Sabina Fernandez. My understanding is that the Church records are very accurate, so I have been assuming that the De La Insula is correct. This certainly seems like it could be our Sabina, but I don't know that they checked to make sure this woman didn't stay in Spain. I have more information which I guess I should post in the genealogy forum. Thanks again. Cherl
Ken Menendez

Post by Ken Menendez »

Terechu, your comment about 2 out 3 Avilesinos have the surname Menendez. I have my greatgrandparents names from Austrias and I assume from around Aviles, so how hard will it be to locate more information on them. They were Ramon Menendez and his wife Carmen Inclan. All we know about Ramon was one of his children was my grandfather, Joe Ramon Menendez, born in 1889, and there were also three daughters, whose names we do not know. With 2 of 3 having the Menendez name this will probably be an impossible search?

Ken
Bob

Post by Bob »

Cherl,

If I am not mistaken Jose Manuel Feito, the parish priest of Miranda, is a member of our forum and has been involved in some very interesting activities. The Miranda parish offers classes in Bron (the patois of tinkers and copper workers). You could write directly to him through the memberlist function.

Bob Martinez

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”