A new site on Asturian myths

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Mouguias

A new site on Asturian myths

Post by Mouguias »

It is GREAT to find a site devoted to the Asturian-American community
I`d love to invite you all to my site on Asturian myths. Don`t miss the "links" section, including (in the English version) some samples of Asturian music.
http://www.geocities.com/mouguias

By the way, this is just a suggestion, but a good translation of "Welcome to..." into Asturian might be "Afayate en..." or "Afayese en...", depending on the degree of familiarity.
PUXA ASTURIES!!!!
Mouguias

Post by Mouguias »

I think I should add a couple of details about my site, "Mitoloxia Asturiana - Asturian myths and its links with celtic culture".
It has four versions, Asturian, Spanish, English and French, and you will notice that none of the flags, representing each language, are flying today in any embassy. Instead I chose the flags of Asturias, Castile, England and Quebec. It`s a personal choice, since I don`t like much the modern idea of nation - state. Let`s say I quite dislike the red and yellow flag, but well - that is politics and I was going to tell you about my site, that is myths.
The main purpose of my site it is to offer the chance to download free an essay that I have written on Asturian mythology. Much has been written on this matter in the former years, but I think my book is the first one which tries to build a theory where every myth fits.
So far, anthropologists have studied our myths as if they were some sort of "jokes", or just popular tales, that is, like if they had no meaning at all, like if Xanas (faeries), nuberos (ghosts of storm), trasgos (brownies), xaninos (changelings) and all that were just funny lies. But I am convinced that Asturian mythology goes much further.
There is a real ideology under our myths, some sort of "religious" non-christian message.
Don`t think that I am one of those "Wicca" wacky pagans, I just believe that Asturian myths are something much more complicated than they have been believed to be so far.
You can download my whole book in the Spanish version and the French one, and the first chapter in English. The Spanish version has been recently updated and I think it is much better than the older ones.
Incidentally, I think I have managed to prove beyond any reasonable doubt, that Asturian culture has bloomed out of Celtic roots.

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”