"Local" Artists of Traditional Asturian Music?

Group &amp; solo; voice, bagpipe, guitar, drum, etc.<br>
Banda y solo; voz, gaita, guitarra, tambor, etc.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Chris, Moderators

Suronda
Co-Founder

"Local" Artists of Traditional Asturian Music?

Post by Suronda »

Does anyone know if there are groups in the United States who play traditional Asturian music? I know that some of the Asturian groups like Llan de Cubel tour in the U.S., but I don't know of any U.S. groups.

Any information on this issue would be most helpful. Perhaps some of the folks associated with the various Centros Asturianos know something.

Thanks,

Suronda
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

There is some information on this on the Spanish Embassy site under "ACTIVIDAD MUSICAL ESPAÑOLA EN ESTADOS UNIDOS" at:
http://www.spainemb.org/. Click on "Cultura" in the left margin, then look toward the bottom of the page that pops up.

I would also recommend calling them for assistance, as I believe that this is one of their services: Tel.: (202)728 2334.

If that's doesn't work out, I know of a small band in Morgantown which could play similar tunes to what you're looking for (Llan de Cubelish music).
Fonzu

Asturian and Galician Piper in Washington area

Post by Fonzu »

There is a piper that met in a wedding in Virginia, that plays galician and asturian repertoir. He is local and lives in Baltimore.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's exciting news, Alfonso. Do you know his name or have any way I can contact him or her? I'm relatively close to Baltimore.
Fonzu

Piper in Baltimore

Post by Fonzu »

His name is: Jon Kmetz lives in Baltimore, and plays galician pipes and bretons pipes.

Good luck, and tell me if you got in contact with him.

Alfonso

Return to “Music - Música”