Toponimia / Place-names

Vocabulary & grammar of Asturian & Bable, comparisons with Castilian.<br>
Vocabulario y gramática de asturianu y bable, comparaciones con castellano

Moderator: Moderators

Terechu

Toponimia / Place-names

Post by Terechu »

According to this article in LNE, the county of Langreo might be changing some of its place names back to Asturian, for instance Ciaño back to Ciañu, Pajomal back to Paxumal, etc. I can only say this: IT WAS ABOUT TIME! Nobody ever said Ciaño or Pajomal, for crying out loud!
When I was a kid I used to love dressing up and wear my mom's high heel shoes and necklaces, etc. and then go get hers and my grandmother's approval. Well, my grandma - unwilling to flatter any of us - would invariably say: "Paeces la reina del Paxumal!", El Paxumal being a historic workers district built around the late 1800s on a slope just above the iron mills of La Felguera, which in my grandmother's days was synonimous with poor, crowded, unhealthy and proletarian. (It's no longer that way, of course)
When Langreo put up the first signs in the 70's pointing the way to the various districts, I read "Pajomal" and didn't identify it as my alleged childhood kingdom of El Paxumal. It took a while to sink in.
Why does it take so long to do the obvious and call things by their name?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Según este artículo de LNE de hoy, Langreo podría cambiar oficialmente al asturiano la toponimía de varios de sus pueblos, por ejemplo Ciañu y El Paxumal. YA ERA HORA! Nadie llamó jamás Ciaño a Ciañu ni Pajomal al Paxumal, por Dios!
Cuando era pequeña me encantaba ponerme la ropa de mi madre, sus zapatos de tacón y sus collares y luego iba a que ella y mi güela me vieran y me dijeran lo guapa que estaba. Pues mi güela - incapaz de lisonjas - siempre me decía: "Paeces la reina del Paxumal." El Paxumal es un barrio histórico obrero construído a finales de 1800 en una ladera de La Felguera sobre las antiguas fábricas siderúrgicas de Duro Felguera y en época de mi güela era sinónimo de pobreza, hacinamiento, insalubridad y proletariado (ya no, claro).
Cuando en Langreo se pusieron los primeros indicadores para los pueblos y barrios, yo leí "Pajomal" y no lo identifiqué con mi reino infantil de El Paxumal. Tardé en captarlo.
¿Por qué se tarda tanto en corregir errores y hacer lo obvio: llamar a las cosas por su nombre?

http://www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp ... emplar=782
Belarmu

Post by Belarmu »

Terechu entrugues porqué el Gobiernu Asturianu ye tan roceanu a l.lamar a los pueblos pol so nome popular, esto ye, na nuesa Llingua.
Y la retruca ye díficil, quiciás por un complexu d'inferioridá (entavía se pue atopar xente per Asturies que camienta que l'Asturianu ye una llingua de pueblerinos, como si esto fore malo) o quiciás porque los cabezaleros de los Partíos mayoritarios nun los estremen de nacionalistes.
La verdá munches veces paezme que los principales enemigos de la nuesa Llingua somos los propios asturianos.
Na, politiqueos, gracies a Dios, la cosa va camudando poco a poco, y estos fartonos que tenemos por representantes entamen a decatase de l'ayalga cultural que ye la nuesa Llingua.
------------------------------------------------------------

Transl. Terechu

Terechu, you wonder why the Asturian Government is so remiss to call the towns by their popular names, in our language, that is. It is difficult to understand, maybe due to an inferiority complex (you can still find people in Asturias who consider Asturian to be a rural -hillbilly? - language, as if that was something bad), or maybe because the major political parties are not lead by Nationalists.
To be honest, sometimes I think that it is us Asturians who are our language's own worst enemy.
Oh well, politics. Fortunately things are changing by and by and those free-loaders who represent us begin to realize what a cultural asset our language is.

Return to “Asturian & Bable - Asturianu y bables”