Menéndez Day

Happenings of interest to forum participants.<br>
Sucesos de interés a foreros.

Moderator: Moderators

carmenendez

Menéndez Day

Post by carmenendez »

Hola , he leido que en América se celebra el Menendez Day. Me ha hecho gracia porque yo pertenezco a la familia Menéndez. ¿alguien podría decirme cuándo es y dónde y sobre todo cómo se celebra?? un saludo

Hello, i´ve read in América is celebrating Menendez Day. I am happy because my family is Menéndez. ¿When is the celebration? ¿where and how? i´m sorry, I speak a little little english, but I hope anybody understand.
Carmen Menéndez
Carcedo. Valdés. ASturias
www.carcedo.org
Xosenrique

Menendez Day

Post by Xosenrique »

Hola Carmen. El Día de Menéndez es un evento que se festeja en la ciudad de San Agustín de la Florida (St. Augustine, FLA) y conmemora en nacimiento de Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, fundador de esta ciudad, que es la más antigua de los Estados Unidos continentales.

Pedro Menéndez de Avilés fue un importante marino y soldado avilesino, que por orden de Felipe II conquistó el territorio de la Florida en 1565. El 28 de agosto de ese año fundó la ciudad que lleva el nombre de San Agustín por ser su onomástica.

La fiesta se celebra en San Agustín con numerosos eventos (actuaciones musicales, exposiciones y conferencias, obras de teatro...) pero el evento más importante es el desfile por las calles de la ciudad en el que participan diversos grupos de recreación histórica que intentan revivir tudos los aspectos de la vida en dicha ciudad durante el periodo colonial.

Con esta celebración San Agustín reafirmatambién su herencia asturiana, como muestra esta imágene:

Tienes más información en :http://www.portaldehistoria.com/seccion ... anagustin/ y http://www.avilesenlahistoria.com/perso ... nendez.asp
mdhsuarez

Menendez Day

Post by mdhsuarez »

The Menendez festival is an annual event held every february in the city of St. Augustine in the sate of Florida. I am a Menendez, also, and I may go the festival next year
Marleen Menendez Suarez
Bob

More on Menendez and History

Post by Bob »

As many of our members already know, there is a special sister city relationship between Avilés in Asturias and St. Augustine in Florida, a city founded by Pedro Menéndez de Aviles (He is, of course, the reason for the Menéndez festival.). In 1972, Aviles donated a duplicate of its statue of Pedro Menéndez to St. Augustine (I think the original of the statue is located in Parque de Muelle in Avilés, not too far from the city center.). In 1999, St. Augustine reciprocated by donating an anchor from the Spanish galleon Nuestra Señora de Atocha to the Cousteau Anchor Museum located at La Peñona in Salinas (at the far western end of the long, sandy beach). Nuestra Señora de Atocha, laden with New World treasure bound for Spain, was lost off the coast of Florida in 1628. The city of St. Augustine eventually acquired an anchor that had been salvaged from the wreck, restored it, and placed in on display at the Castillo de San Marcos for several years before donating it to the Museo de Anclas.

My father, my brother and I stumbled across the dedication ceremony in October of 1999, during our visit to Asturias. It featured a wonderful display of dancers, gaiteros and drummers in traditional Asturian costume, and was marred only by a light drizzle from time to time. The outdoor museum at La Peñona also features a sculpture affixed to a huge rock on which the surf crashes magnificently, and a new and architecturally interesting hanging bridge leading to an observation platform that provides a wonderful view of Salinas, the cliffs (Altos Piños), the rocks and the ocean. The Museo de Anclas is well worth a visit.

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”