La batalla de El Mazucu / The Battle of El Mazucu

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Terechu

La batalla de El Mazucu / The Battle of El Mazucu

Post by Terechu »

Buscando otras cosas, encontré por casualidad esta página con una descripción muy detallada de la batalla de El Mazucu y también algunas fotos.
A los que os interese la historia de Asturias os va a gustar.

http://es.geocities.com/paisajes_guerrilla/mazuco.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

While looking for other things I happened to come across this web site with a very detailed description of the Battle of El Mazucu, and also with some photos. Those of you interested in Asturian history will like it.

http://es.geocities.com/paisajes_guerrilla/mazuco.html
mfc

translation

Post by mfc »

FYI: I have recently completed a translation (in English) of this book chapter, and will be writing to the publisher to get permission to post it on the web. In the meantime, I have summarized the text in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_El_Mazuco

All comments & corrections welcome!
Mike Cowlishaw
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Great Mike! Thank you!
I don't know about corrections, as I don't have any data other than what's has already published, but as to the Republican resistance, I can assure you they were mostly civilians. and not very well armed at that.
The men I know about who fought in El Mazucu, grandfathers, fathers and friends o my friends and relatives, were all coal miners, metal workers and farmers. Very few were soldiers and in fact one of their most outstanding leaders, Higinio Carrerocera, was an anarchist union leader.
The heroic resistance of 1.700 poorly armed and untrained men against 33.000 regular troops supported by the German bombers of the Legion Condor (Heinkels, Messerschmidts and Junkers) is one of the chapters of Asturian history that has been silenced all these years and it's about time these brave men receive some recognition.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Estupendo Mike. Muchas gracias!
No sé qué decir en cuanto a correcciones, porque no tengo otros datos que los que se han publicado, pero en cuanto a la resistencia republicana, te puedo asegurar que fueron mayormente civiles y mal armados, encima.

De los hombres que lucharon en El Mazucu y que yo tenga conocimiento: abuelos, padres y amigos de parientes y amigos míos, todos eran mineros, metalúrgicos y labradores. Muy pocos eran soldados y de hecho uno de sus líderes más destacados, Higinio Carrocera, era anarcosindicalista.

La resistencia heróica de 1.700 hombres mal armados contra un ejercito regular de 33.000 hombres, incluídos los requetés, apoyado por los bombarderos Heinkel, Messerschmidt y Junkers de la Legión Condor alemana, es uno de los capítulos de la historia de Asturias que han sido silenciados siempre y ya va siendo hora de que estos hombres valientes reciban algún reconocimiento.
mfc

translation

Post by mfc »

I agree.

On corrections, would you be interested in taking a look at my translation and seeing if anything looks badly wrong? I am reasonably confident of the translation, but there may be some Asturian allusions or idoms that I have mis-translated...

[Warning .. it's 16 A4 pages long.]

Mike Cowlishaw
Mike Cowlishaw
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Mike, I'll be happy to go over the translation in detail to see if anything looks wrong. I have read it, but did not compare it to the original text. Just give a couple of days and I'll get back to you.

Cheers
Terechu
mfc

correction

Post by mfc »

Hi .. the Wikipedia article is just a summary, not a translation. If you would like the full translation, send me e-mail (mfcowli [at] attglobal.net) and I'll send a copy.

Mike
Mike Cowlishaw
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Mike, I would love to read the whole thing. Unfortunately I'm right in the middle of changing servers and I don't have my new e-mail address yet. You can try my old address (see my profile in the About Us Section), because I still have a few days grace period. I hope I'll get it before they disconnect me. The new Internet connection is working, but not the e-mail part.
Another way to get in touch is by leaving a private message for me at the Forum.

Thanks!
Terechu
mfc

that's easy

Post by mfc »

no hurry .. send me an e-mail from new address when all sorted out. Best of luck with that!

Mike
Mike Cowlishaw
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Terechu's address is now posted in the About Us section:

http://www.asturianUS.org/aboutUs/about ... Rondo.html

-------------

El correo de Terechu ya está puesto en la sección Quiénes somos:

http://www.asturianUS.org/es/aboutUs/ab ... Rondo.html

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”