Continuation of Asturian traditions in the U.S.

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Eric Smith Fernandez

Continuation of Asturian traditions in the U.S.

Post by Eric Smith Fernandez »

Hello everyone my name is Eric Smith Fernandez and i need some help. I am a Spanish major at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. This fall 2005 I have to write my Senoir Essay in Spanish and give an oral presentation. My thesis will be to prove how Asturians kept traditions and their culture here in the U.S. and why they migrated from Spain to places such as Argentina, Cuba, and the U.S. My professor will agree to this proposal only if i can find 10 sources in spanish. (I would like to get them anyway). So anyone know of any good sources in print in spanish that i could purchase for research?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Trad. Terechu
Hola a todos. Me llamo Eric Smith Fernández y necesito un poco de ayuda. Soy estudiante de español en la Universidad de Southern Illinois en Edwardsville. Este otoño tengo que escribir mi tesis de fin de carrera en español y hacer una presentación oral. Mi tesis será la demostración de cómo los asturianos han mantenido sus tradiciones y costumbres aquí en los EE.UU. y porqué emigraron desde España a países como Argetnina, Cuba y los EE.UU. Mi catedrático sólo aceptará mi propuesta si puedo encontrar 10 fuentes en español (Me gustaría encontrarlas de todos modos). Así que, alguién sabe de algunas fuentes buenas en español que pueda comprar para investigar?
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hi Eric,
I'm sure our US members will be able to give you some advice. If you read Spanish maybe this website will be of help

www.emigracionasturiana.com

and within that site you can find this section with the addresses of the Centros Asturianos throughout the world, whom you can contact for literature or publications.

http://www.emigracionasturiana.com/scri ... rianos.asp

Also, the most important archives on Asturian emigration are at the

www.archivodeindianos.es

You should be able to get your 10 sources in no time :lol:

Cheers
ecobas43

Tradiciones Asturianas

Post by ecobas43 »

Eric, Hay un libro en Espanol titulado:" La Emigracion de Asturianos a America" escrito por Rafael Anes Alvarez y esta en las biblioteca Americanas: ISBN 8488770030, call # F1419.S63 A63 1993. Espero lo puedas localizar y que te ayude. Buena suerte. Esilda

Eric there is a book in Spanish titled: La Emigracion de Asturianos a America written by Rafael Anes Alvarez and you can find it in the library in US: ISBN 8488770030 call# F1419.S63 A63 1993. Hope you can locate it and it helps you. Good luck, Esilda
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Eric,

You might find this book interesting. It's an easy read and is presented in both English and Spanish: Pinnick Kinnick Hill by Gavin Gonzalez, Pinnick Kinnick Hill on Amazon

There are some very good book stores in Asturias. I'd recommend ...

[Art: Sorry it's closed: ''Alborá Llibros" in Gijón: http://www.lanuevaespana.es/lletres/albora.htm
The shop is run by a person who you will find to be very kind and supportive, Xicu Diaz Yepes. He specializes in Asturian titles and will go out of his way to help you.]

Also you might want to read Suronda Gonzalez' master's thesis. (It's titled something like "Talking like my Abuelas.") It is a collection of interviews of immigrant women and very interesting. Suronda is a moderator of the forum. You can read about her here: http://www.asturianus.org/aboutUs/about ... zalez.html
You'll have to email me (my address is at the bottom of any page) for her email.

-----------------

Hola, Eric,

Puede ser te gustaría este libro interesante. Es un fácil leído y es presentado tanto en inglés como en castellano: Pinnick Kinnick Hill por Gavin González, Pinnick Kinnick Hill on Amazon

Hay algunas librerías muy buenas en Asturias.

Recomendaría...

[Art: Lo siento ha cerrado: "Alborá Llibros" en Gijón:
http://www.lanuevaespana.es/lletres/albora.htm
El propietario de la tienda es una persona quién encontrarás muy amable y de apoyo, Xicu Diaz Yepes. Él se especializa en títulos asturianos e hará todo lo posible para ayudarte.}

También puedes leer la tesis de máster de Suronda González. (El tituló es algo como "Hablar como mis Abuelas.") Es una colección de entrevistas de mujeres inmigrantes y muy interesante. Suronda es un moderadora del foro. Puedes leer sobre ella aquí: http://www.asturianus.org/aboutUs/about ... zalez.html
Tienes que enviarme por correo electrónico (mi dirección está en el fondo de cualquier página) para su correo.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”