History of Spelter, an American Asturian Community

> Formal: construction, farming, manufacturing, mining, small businesses, smelting, etc. > Informal: blackberry picking, boarding houses, bootlegging, clothes washing, sausage making.<br>
> Formal: construcción, agricultura, fabricación, minería, pequeñas empresas, fundición, etc. > Informal: cosecha de moras, pensiones, contrabandista, colada, embutimiento.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, JuanLeon, Moderators

Bob

Post by Bob »

I knew that spelter meant zinc, but I didn't know that it referred to the purity of the zinc, Thanks for the information. My father, a native of Spelter/Ziezing, will be interested in this.

Bob Martinez
jedrosa

Interesting

Post by jedrosa »

What I find interesting about all of the history between Asturians and the Dupont family is that Dupont built a fairly large plant in Asturias. It is located by Cancienes in Corvera. I saw it being constructed during my summer trips to visit my grand parents. It provided lots of needed jobs when it was built. I am not sure if it still belongs to the Dupont companies.
Tmyatt

Spelter Smelter

Post by Tmyatt »

Good afteroon: I am intersted in the history of the Spelter Smelter and was wondering if anyone on the forum has historical photos of the plant. Thanks for any help!

Ted Myatt, Sc.D.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Ted, I know that Ron Gonzalez has a few and he's said that Dupont (current owner of the site) itself has lots of photos, too.

----------

Hola, Ted, Sé que Ron González tiene algunos y me ha dicho que Dupont (el dueno actual del emplazamiento) también tiene muchos fotos.
lgarcia

Ken Menendez - about Spelter

Post by lgarcia »

I'm not able to send e-mails yet so I hope that Ken Menendez reads this reply. In an earlier posting, you mentioned:
Ken Menendez wrote:Anita also sent me an article from a newspaper in Asturias ( I do not have the date of the article). It is the La Nueva Espana ASTURIAS, which contained an article date line Oviedo about a visit of a Clarksburg high school Spanish teacher, Karla Smith, who visited a friend in Aviles.
I would very much like to have a copy of this news article. I hesitate to post my fax number here but please contact me, if possible.

Also, the name, Anita Menendez sounds very familiar to me. My great grandfather was Ulpiano Fernandez Menendez and wife was Virginia Garcia. They brought two sons with them from Asturias in 1915...Celestino Fernandez Menendez and Manuel Fernandez Menendez. Celestino is my grandfather - he eventually took the name Tim Fernandez Garcia. He grew-up in Spelter and eventually moved to Anmoore. Around 1964, he built a home in Broadway on Philippi Pike. He worked his entire life at Hazel Atlas. His wife, Wilma Garcia, is the oldest daugther of Jessie Craig. Wilma is still alive but suffers from severe dementia.

I recall my grandmother - Wilma Garcia - mentioning Anita Menendez. If you speak with Anita - maybe she knows my family? She would be as likely to know the Jessie Craig side of the family as the Fernandez Menendez Garcia side...they all spent time in Spelter.

I currently reside in Gainesville, Florida but will be visiting Clarksburg for my 30th class reunion from Roosevelt Wilson High School. If any progress has been made on the Spelter museum, I'd be interested in visiting. I am trying to write the story of my ancestors' immigration from Asturias to West Virginia. If Anita or any of your family know any stories of my family, I'd be most interested in speaking with them. The lines on the family tree are interesting but I want to know the STORY.

By the way, couple of items that may prompt your or Anita's memory about my family:
My father is Richard Garcia (known as "Dickie" growing-up in Anmoore).
His brothers are Paul Garcia (died in military training at age 22), and Carl David Garcia (currently resides in Bridgeport).

Thank you for any assistance!
Linda Garcia
lgarcia

Furnace Foreman Paul Craig

Post by lgarcia »

Ken & Ron,

In an earlier posting here, Ken mentioned:

--Furnance Foreman were: Antone Fernandez (1911-1919); James Chinault (1919-1930); Fred Stalnaker (1930-1950); Richard Carrico (1950-1956 and Paul Craig (1956 to plant closing).

In speaking with my father today (Dick Garcia), he told me that the Paul Craig mentioned is my great great uncle. I am the great granddaughter of Jessie Craig (Paul's brother ) who also lived and worked in Spelter.

So between my grandfather - Tim Fernandez Menendez Garcia - along with Jessie and Paul Craig...it's no wonder that I'm enjoying this website so much!

Linda Garcia
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Linda,
About two years ago I got a call from a young lady whose name I can't remember now. She said that she was the granddaughter of Paul Craig. I meet her at Spelter and she took some photographs of the Craig home. Do you know her?
lgarcia

Craig Home

Post by lgarcia »

The only person I met on the Craig side of the family was Jessie Craig - Paul Craig's brother. The lady you met must be a relative of mine! Paul's niece, Wilma Craig Garcia, is my grandmother. I grew-up next door to her, and we are very close. Unfortunately, now she has dementia and does not even recognize me. Having a loved one with advanced dementia / alzheimers is almost like experiencing death. How could this person with whom I was so close not be able to recognize me!? :cry:

Wilma named her middle son, Paul Garcia (likely after her uncle Paul Craig). Another sad scenario...Paul died at age 22 while training in the Army. This occurred in May 1964. My younger brother was born in January 1965 - they named him Craig. As you may imagine - - all of this was a very trying time in the family. We lived next door to Paul and my grandparents in newly built homes on Philippi Pike in Broadway. I was only 4 years old at the time of young Paul's death but I remember it vividly because the family grieved so much.

Linda Garcia

Return to “Work & Industry - Trabajo e industria”