Ports of Departure

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

pblanco

Ports of Departure

Post by pblanco »

How many ports of departure were there in the 1900's in Spain? Why was Liverpool England one?
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Liverpool was and still is the "natural" port for ships from and to North America and in the 1900's of all European ports it had the most ships crossing the North Atlantic everyday. If you look at a map, you will see that if you sail north from the port of Gijón you will go straight to Liverpool. Since most ships from Spanish ports were bound for Central and South America, anybody wanting to go to the USA had to go via Liverpool or Southampton.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Terechu,

What you have posted makes sense. The Ellis Island records show many arrivals in New York from the port of Liverpool. That's where my grandparents sailed from in 1913, on a ship (Adriatic) belonging to the same company that had lost the Titanic to an iceberg collision not loo long before.

According to information that has been orally passed down in my family, they first went to A Coruña and from there to Liverpool before leaving for New York.

Bob
pblanco

Ports of departure

Post by pblanco »

It makes sense to me now. My relatives left from Coruna to Liverpool. They may have lived there a short time before arriving in US. They used that for their last residence. I know that they are from Aviles area. Thank you for the information.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”