Montequin family

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

montequi

Montequin family

Post by montequi »

Hi,

I'm looking for anyone with information about the Montequin family and descendents. My great grandfather, Felix Montequin y Crespo, emmigrated from Asturias to Cuba. He had 4 sons (Jose, Pedro, Andres, Domingo) and 1 daughter (Maria), and Pedro eventually moved to Puerto Rico. I descend from Jose.

Also, I've located a descendent of Donato Montequin y Berros who appears to have emmigrated from Asturias to Puerto Rico around the same time.

I also found, in census records on Ancestry.com, a number of Montequins that appear to have emmigrated directly to the US (Kansas and PA).

Anyone out there who can help me?

Thank You,
Victor Montequin
Asturian-via-Cuba and Florida
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hi Victor and welcome to the forum!
Montequín is quite common in the central/eastern part of Asturias. It will be difficult to find your folks if you don't know the name of the town they were from.
Leaving out the major cities, the rural areas with most Montequíns listed are the counties: Sariego, Siero, Villaviciosa and Cabranes (these are neighbouring counties, all located within an area of less than 50 km).

If you want to check out the phone guide, just pick "Asturias" on the drop-down menu "Provincia" and then fill out the "apellido" blanks. www.paginasblancas.es

Good luck!
Terechu
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hola Victor y bienvenido al foro,
Montequín es bastante corriente en la zona central/oriental de Asturias. Va a ser difícil encontrar a tus parientes si no sabes el nombre del pueblo.
Dejando a un lado las ciudades principales, las zonas rurales donde más Montequines hay registrados están en los municipios de Sariego, Siero, Villaviciosa y Cabranes (estos concejos son limítrofes y están dentro de un área de 50 km).
Si quieres echar un vistazo a la guía de telefónos, selecciona "Asturias" en el desplegable "Provincia" y luego rellena las casillas de los apellidos.
www.paginasblancas.es

Suerte!
Terechu
montequi

Post by montequi »

Wow. Didn't realize the name was so common. I'm really curious to find out if the name Montequin descended from a specific family or if it was associated with an area or a trade (or something else). I guess I'm really curious if all Montequins could be ultimately related in some way.

I have made contact with one person who's great grandfather (Donato Montequin y Berros) came from Pola del Cielo, but I'm not sure of my connection to her. Her great grandfather would likely have been born in the early to mid 1800's, and I'm not sure how many Montequins existed in Asturias at that time.

I'll post more info when I find it.

Thanks,
Victor Montequin
Asturian-via-Cuba and Florida
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Victor, the geographic origin is probably the easiest to find. My educated guess would be the village (or rather hamlet) of Montiquín, in the county of Bimenes.
When the first large-scale census was compiled in the 16th Century, those who had no specific family names were registered under the names of their fathers or their hometowns. The village names that sounded too Asturian were "castillianized", so that Paxumal became Pajomal, Cuetu became Coto, Portiellu became Portillo, Sutu Rondiu became Sotrondio, Xixón became Gijón, etc. and in that line Montiquín must have become Montequín.

If you look at a map of Asturias, you will find that the counties I mentioned where the surname Montequín appears most often are all in the central/eastern part and neighbouring Bimenes.

Montiquín is mentioned several times in this web site, as being near Canteli and Campabaxera:
http://www.bimenes.net/areasrecreativas.htm

By the way, your friend's relatives must be from "Pola de Siero", the capital of the county Siero.
Bob

Post by Bob »

According to Xosé Lluis García Arias's book, Pueblos Asturianos: El Porque de sus Nombres, Montiquín is a diminutive form of Monte. He doesn't list any places with that name other than the one in Bimenes.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Montequi!

You might find this post interesting, since it talks about the meaning of "monte":
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1052

-------------

¡Bienvenido, Montequi!

Es posible que te interesará esta mensaje por que habla del sentido de "monte":
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1052

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”