Fernandez

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Nieves

Fernandez

Post by Nieves »

This is a wonderful website and forum. I am going to be lost here for days! (Thank you Bob Martinez.) My name is Amy and this is my family history:

My Great-Great Grandmother was Dionisia Fernandez. She came to the US with her mother in 1911. Dionisia was 10 at the time. Her mothers name was Balbina Fernandez. She was born March 15, 1876 and died Dec. 23, 1948 in Clarksburgh, WV. On the tomb stone it reads Balbina Fernandez Otero (I thought it was Oters, until Bob Martinez suggested it was an "O". After looking at the pictures closely, I have come to the conclusion it is an "O".) Balbina came to the US. with her sister, Virginia. They were both coming to stay with Virginia's husband Mario San Julian. Balbina, and Virginia's fathers name was, Legunado/Legoudo Fernandez of Aviles, Spain.
My Granny, Dionisia was deaf/mute and so the only information I have is what my Father told me before he passed away in 2000. I only knew she came to the US from Spain and that she lived in Clarksburg, WV.

I have so much to learn and this site is a great place to start. Thanks! Amy

-----------------------------
Transl. Terechu

Esto es una página web y foro maravilloso. Voy a estar perdida aquí dentro durante días! (Gracias, Bob Martínez). Me llamo Amy (Amada) y esta es la historia de mi familia:
Mi tatarabuela se llamaba Dionisia Fernández. Llegó a los EE.UU. con su madre en 1911. Dionisia tenía 10 años por aquel entonces. Su madre se llamaba Balbina Fernández. Nació el 15 de marzo de 1876 y murió el 23 de diciembre de 1948 en Clarksburgh, Virginia Occidental. Su lápida dice Balbina Fernandez Otero. (Primero pensé que era Oters, hasta que Bob Martínez sugirió que aquello era una "o". Después de mirar las fotos con más detenimiento, he llegado a la conclusión de que es una "o".

Balbina se vino a los EE.UU. con su hermana Virginia. Las dos venian a vivir con el marido de Virginia Mario San Julián. El padre de Balbina y Virginia se llamaba Legunado/Legoudo* Fernandez de Avilés, España.
Mi abuela, Dionisia, era sordomuda, de modo que la única información que tengo es la que mi padre me transmitió antes de su fallecimiento en el año 2000. Sólo sé que vino a EE.UU. desde España y que falleció en Clarksburg, WV.
Tengo tanto que aprender y este sitio es genial para empezar! Gracias.
Amy

* Probablemente "Segundo"
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hello Amy and welcome to the forum!
I have taken the liberty to suggest that your great-grandfather's name might have been "Segundo", as the ones on your records (Legunado/ Legoudo) don't exist. So, knowing that your GGM was Balbina Fernández Otero and her father Segundo Fernández from Avilés, maybe some of our members from the Avilés area can ask around in their families.

I believe that, knowing her full name and birth date, you might be able to get a birth certificate, showing her parents and maybe even her grandparents full names.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hola Amy y bienvenida al foro!
Me he tomado la libertad de sugerir que quizás el nombre de tu tatarabuelo fuera "Segundo", ya que los que tu indicas (Legunado/Legoudo) no existen. A lo mejor, sabiendo que tu bisabuela se llamaba Balbina Fernández Otero y su padre Segundo Fernández, de Avilés, algunos miembros de este foro que sean de la zona de Avilés podrían preguntar en casa a ver si saben algo.

Creo que sabiendo su nombre completo y fecha de nacimiento, posiblemente puedas conseguir una partida de nacimiento, en la que figuren los nombres de sus padres e incluso de sus abuelos.

Saludos
Terechu
jomaguca

Post by jomaguca »

Hola Terechu, sabes lo qué pasa ,qué no hay mucha gente de esa generación viva para poder preguntar sobre aquellos años ,yo me ofrezco voluntario para ir al juzgado siempre y cuando como tú dices,se tengan los nombres y las fechas de las personas qué se quieran buscar, porqué si no es imposible.

-------------------------------------
Transl. Terechu

Hi Terechu, you know the problem is that there aren't too many people from that generation still alive so that we could ask them. I volunteer to go to the registry, provided, as you say, that the full names and birth dates of the persons in question are available. Otherwise it would be impossible.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Jose, eres un cielo, pero como tú bien dices va a ser difícil, a no ser que alguien reconozca los apellidos inmediatamente (Otero no es muy frecuente). Esperemos a ver qué pasa.

----------------------------------------------------------

Jose, you're a darling, but as you say, it's going to be difficult unless somebody recognizes the surnames immediately (Otero is not very common). Let's wait and see what happens.
Nieves

Post by Nieves »

I thank you for responding to my post. I started to look for information on my ancestors years ago. It was dead end after dead end. This family has been a hard one to trace. However, little by little it's coming together.
I am going to send for Balbina Fernandez Otero's death record in West Virginia and see what shows up with that. I will let you know if there is anything new. Thanks again. Amy

Balbina Fernandez born March 15, 1876 (daughter Dionisia Fernandez born August 1901)
Virginia Fernandez born 1883/1888

Father "Segundo" Fernandez from Aviles.
Nieves

Balvina Fernandez

Post by Nieves »

I recieved Balvina/balbina Fernandez Otero's death record today in the mail. It states that her parents were both from Spain. Father: Secondino (very hard to read the writing) Fernandez. Mother was Maria Alonzo.
Could this help with tracking this Fernandez family?
Thank you. Amy

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”