Hello, looking for Diaz/Vega families from Tamon and Oviedo

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Cortney Diaz Schraut

Hello, looking for Diaz/Vega families from Tamon and Oviedo

Post by Cortney Diaz Schraut »

Hello, I am very excited to find this site. My grandfather came with his family from Tamon and or Oviedo. My grandfather's name was Benjamin Diaz. I don't know much else about our family or even if anyone is still left in Spain. They came to the USA around the 1900's and first stayed with their cousin named Oscar Vega in Denora, PA. They eventually settled in the Springfield, IL and Saint Louis, MO areas. My family are from Collinsville, IL. I have been fascinated with Spain since I was little and just in the past few years have started doing research on the family. My father and I visited Asturias a few years ago and loved it. Although, we are not fluent in Spanish or any dialects, it was still fun, I drove a car from Bilbao to Oviedo and needless to say that was an adventure!! I am so glad this site exsists so I can learn more about the region. Our family names are Diaz,Vega, Menendez, and Suarez. I am interested in any information about Asturias.
Thanks,
Cortney
Carlos

Tamón and your relatives

Post by Carlos »

Hi, Cortney.

Tamón (pronounced more or less Tamo-on) is a very little place (population 500) in the Carreño Council (a council is a kind of county), between the city of Avilés and the fisher village of Candás. I have tried doing a search in the phone book on line, and there are some people with the family names that you are interested:

MARIA LUISA VEGA GARCIA
Tamón, s/n
33469 CARREÑO - ASTURIAS

ZULIMA VEGA GARCIA
Tamón, 25
33469 CARREÑO - ASTURIAS

MARIA LUISA VEGA RODRIGUEZ
Tamón, 3
33469 CARREÑO - ASTURIAS

MERCEDES VEGA SUAREZ
Tamón, 8
33469 CARREÑO - ASTURIAS

VICTOR DIAZ GONZALEZ
Lugar Redal (Tamón), 8
33469 CARREÑO - ASTURIAS

JOSE LUIS MENENDEZ ALBA
Lugar Tabaza (Tamón), 4
33469 CARREÑO - ASTURIAS

JOSE LUIS MENENDEZ ALVAREZ
Lugar Bardiel (Tamón), 1
33469 CARREÑO - ASTURIAS

JESUS MENENDEZ BANGO
Lugar Villar de Abajo (Tamón), s/n
33469 CARREÑO - ASTURIAS

JOSE RAMON SUAREZ GARCIA
Lugar Villar de Abajo (Tamón), 9
33469 CARREÑO - ASTURIAS

MANUEL SUAREZ GARCIA
Lugar Villar de Abajo (Tamón), 7
33469 CARREÑO - ASTURIAS

VIRGILIO SUAREZ GONZALEZ
Tamón, s/n
33469 CARREÑO - ASTURIAS

About Oviedo, the capital of Asturias, it's a city with a lot of inhabitants, and it's very much difficult to find a person with only the family name, and also there live not only the people born in the city, but Asturians from other parts of the region. Are you sure that your grandparent is from the city of Oviedo, or from Tamón, Province of Oviedo? Historically, and today, the name of the region is Asturias, but at the time in the official documents the name of Asturias figures as "Provincia de Oviedo" (the name of the capital). If you're able to give me some more informations, perhaps I can help you to find your relatives. It's practically sure that you've yet live relatives in Asturias.

Hugs. 8)
mdhsuarez

Post by mdhsuarez »

Cortney - Do I know you? I am thinking I should. I live in Collinsville. My dad is Henry "pesty" Menendez. His cousin was Harold "Doc" Diaz. Are you related to him? I am married to Dan "Ham" Suarez. We are all originally from Fairmont and East. St. Louis. I have a strange feeling we have crossed paths somewhere. If you like, we can get togehter and compare notes.
Marleen Menendez Suarez
Carlos

Resultados provisionales

Post by Carlos »

Hola, Cortney.

Lo primero, disculpa por escribir en español, pero me resulta mucho más ágil que hacerlo en inglés. Ayer y hoy he estado haciendo unas cuantas llamadas para ver si podía averiguar algo acerca de tu abuelo. Como su nombre era "Ben" (¿Benjamín, Benito, otro?) Díaz Vega, según explicas en tu primer mensaje y en el mail privado que me enviaste, lo primero que hice fue telefonear a los Díaz y Vega de la lista que coloqué más arriba. El único hombre que se apellida Díaz me dice que él no es originario de Tamón, sino que se trasladó a vivir a ese lugar, así que queda descartado. Por parecidas razones, también descarté a Zulima Vega y a María Luisa Vega Rodriguez. Me quedan dos personas con las cuales aún no pude hablar personalmente, una por estar hospitalizada y la otra por no estar en ese momento en casa y no saber nada su marido al respecto. Son María Luisa Vega García y Mercedes Vega Suárez. Cuando consiga hablar con estas dos señoras, ya te diré el resultado.

Otro paso que dí fue hablar con el Señor Juez encargado del Registro Civil del concejo de Carreño, al cual pertenece Tamón. Le proporcioné todos los datos que me comunicaste acerca de Benjamín o Benito Díaz Vega y de su primo Oscar Vega Inclán, incluyendo la fecha aproximada de nacimiento. Este señor fue sumamente amable, y miró personalmente nada menos 13 libros, ¡a mano! (no está informatizado), desde el tomo 8 hasta el 21, que incluyen las personas nacidas entre el 13 de febrero de 1881 y el 24 de enero de 1897.

Me comunica que no aparecen ni Ben Díaz Vega ni su primo Oscar Vega Inclán como personas nacidas en Tamón, Carreño. Eso sí, aparecen tres personas con los apellidos Díaz Vega: Natividad (mujer), Ángel (hombre) y José María (hombre) Díaz Vega.

Según los datos de este Registro Civil, no es posible averiguar nada más acerca de otros posibles familiares, para reconstruir el árbol familiar. Pero eso sí, me aclara que la Administración Civil del Estado sólo se hizo cargo de registrar los nacimientos, matrimonios y defunciones a partir de 1871. Para fechas anteriores, y para datos complementarios que permitan saber de otros hijos de un matrimonio (datos que no figuran en la partida de bautismo), el Señor Juez me recomienda acudir a los libros de las parroquias, donde sí figuran todos esos datos, porque todo el mundo era bautizado por aquella época, y era la Iglesia Católica quien llevaba los registros.

De modo que ahora estoy intentando localizar al sacerdote a cuyo cargo está la parroquia de Tamón, a ver si conseguimos averiguar algo más. Si por este camino tampoco conseguimos nada, entonces habrá que descartar Tamón y empezar a buscar por Oviedo u otros lugares. ¿Dispones de algún documento donde esté escrito el lugar de origen de tu abuelo? ¿Puede tratarse de una mala lectura o un error de interpretación por tu parte? ¿O se trata de una información verbal transmitida dentro de tu familia? Sería muy interesante disponer de documentos escritos. Si éste es el caso, podrías escanearlos y poner aquí una imagen lo más nítida posible, a ver si conseguimos leerlo bien entre todos. Quizás te pueda ayudar Sweeney (Donna) con el registro de Ellis Island.

Un abrazo desde Asturias. 8)
Sweeney

family

Post by Sweeney »

Dear Cortney:

Was your grandfather married to Stella Body? I found a Ben and Stella Diaz in the 1920 and 1930 census.

You may want to check out www.ellisisland.org to see if you can find your grandfather and his family. The Ellis island records can help you find the place of residence of your grandfather. Was your grandfather's name Benito or some other spanish variation of Benjamin?

I would write to some of the people with the Vega or Diaz surname in Oviedo. You are sure to find a cousin.

Check out the information in the following site:

http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268

If your grandfather had a social security card he would be listed in the SS Death Index. When you find him, you can write the SS administration Office and request a copy of his SS Application. That Application, which was filled out by your grandfather, requested his place of birth. Most applications will list the town along with the State/Country. My grandmother listed Salinas, Spain on her application.

If you need help feel free to email me.

Good luck with your search! 8)
Donna
Brandi

Post by Brandi »

Hi Cortney, My name is Brandi Suarez and live in Ohio and I am currently trying to find relatives from Spain. As far as I know my ancestors are from the Asturia, Aviles, Oviedo, Gijon area and my family names also include Suarez and Vega. Great grandfather Luis Suarez came to the U.S. in 1917 to Clarksburg WV, and great grandmother Primitiva Suarez Lopez came to the U.S. in 1920 and on my mothers side of the family my great grandfather was Vicente Vega.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”