Menendez, Jose G & Etelvina Lopez, Aviles>USA>1914

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Kathi Menendez Law

Menendez, Jose G & Etelvina Lopez, Aviles>USA>1914

Post by Kathi Menendez Law »

It would be so fulfilling to me if I could find my Asturian/Aviles family. I am planning a trip to Spain in October. Any help is much apprecited.

My great grandparents moved to St. Louis, Missouri in 1914 from Aviles. From the stories I have heard from my great aunt (their daughter), Alvina Menendez Nazzoli, when they left Spain they had three children Frank, Ben and Josephine (eventually they had a total of 10 children including, Alvina, Louis, Arthur (which is my wonderful grandfather, that passed away in June 1969, and Mary, Joseph, Rose and Loretta). My great grandfather was proud of his large family.

I have found the following information in the Ellis Island records. Jose and Etelvina came to America on 5 April 1914 on board the SS Baltic from the Port of Liverpool. Records state Jose is 19 (which cant be correct) and his wife is 22 (probably is correct). They traveled with Eduardo and Etetrina Menendez. They list their next of kin in Spain as Jose's parents: Jose and Germania Menendez. The records also say they were planning on living with their cousin Manual Alvarez who resided at 7004 Pennsylvania Ave, St. Louis.

My great grandmother was Etelvina Galan Lopez Menendez, 28julio1889. Her father’s name was Jose Lopez and her mother was Rosa Galan. Her familia owned a cattle ranch. Her parents also have a closed section in a cemetary (which I have a photo of). She had two brothers and twin sisters (but one died at a young age).

this is the first time I have ever wrote to a message board, hope it is appropriate and not too long. thank you! Kathi
--------------------------------------------------
Trad. Terechu

Sería tan gratificante para mí poder encontrar a mi familia de Asturias/Avilés. Estoy planeando viajar a España en octubre. Agradecería mucho cualquier ayuda.

Mis bisabuelos emigraron de Avilés a St. Louis, Missouri, en 1914. Según las historias que he oído de mi tía abuela (su hija) Alvina Menéndez Nazzoli, cuando se fueron de España tenía tres hijos, Frank, Ben y Josephine (con el tiempo llegaron a tener 10, inclusive Alvina, Luis, Arturo (mi maravilloso abuelo que falleció en junio de 1969), Mary, Joseph, Rose y Loretta. Mi bisabuelo estaba muy orgulloso de su gran familia.

He encontrado la siguiente información en los archivos de la isla de Ellis: Jose y Etelvina llegaron a América el 5 de abril de 1914 en el vapor SS Baltic desde Liverpool. Los archivos indican que José tenía 19 años (que no puede ser correcto) y su esposa 22 (probablemente sí sea correcto). Viajaban con Eduardo y Etetrina (??)Menendez. Como parientes más próximos en España indican a los padres de José: José y Germania (??) Menéndez. Los documentos también indican que pensaban ir a vivir con su primo Manuel Alvarez, que residía en 7004 Pennsylvania Ave, St. Louis.

Mi abuela se llamaba Etelvina Galán López Menéndez, nacida el 28 de julio de 1889. Su padre se llamaba José López y su madre Rosa Galán. Su familia tenía ganadería. Su padres también un panteón en un cementerio (del que tengo una foto). Tenía dos hermanos y dos hermanas gemelas (aunque una murió joven).

Es la primera vez que escribo en este foro y espero que el mensaje sea adecuado y no demasiado largo. Gracías!
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hi Kathi and welcome!
You do have quite a bit of information, although there seem to be some mixed up last names.
If Etelvina's parents were José López and Rosa Galán, in Spain her full name would be Etelvina López Galán.
Also, if Rosa Galán's family had cattle, it would be a great help if you knew where that cemetary is located, chances are you're related to half the people in that village.

Cheers
Terechu
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I also wondered about the name: Etelvina Galan Lopez Menendez.

I suspect that this is an Americanization. Her name in Asturias would have been: Etelvina Galan Lopez. But they probably added "Menendez" to give her the same last name as her husband, which is what most Americans do.

---------------

También me pregunté sobre el nombre: Etelvina Galan Lopez Menendez.

Sospecho que es una americanización. Su nombre en Asturies deberiá ser: Etelvina Galan Lopez. Pero añadieron "Menendez" para darla el mismo apellido que tenía su marido, como hacen la majoría de americanos.
Bob

Post by Bob »

While mistakes in recording information are quite common in the Ellis Island records, the age discrepancy you mentioned for José Menéndez piqued my curiosity. I looked at the original manifest and noted that he listed a different destination than the others, Aurelio García of 214 North 4th Street, Clarksburg, West Virginia, not the St. Louis address. Are you certain that this is the right person? It was not uncommon for the husband to move to the US first, find work, and then send for his wife and children. In my experience, it is always worth looking at the on-line photocopy of the original manifest,

We have quite a few members from the Clarksburg area. Maybe one of them could help. I'll ask my father if he remembers the family (He was born in nearby Spelter).

The original manifest also shows that Etetrina is listed as sister, not wife, although it is a little hard to read.

Also, Asturias was previously called the Province of Oviedo, so Oviedo (written "Oriedo" in the Ellis Island records) does not necessarily mean the city of Oviedo. It could refer to any city or town in Asturias. This, unfortunately, makes your search harder.

I hope this helps.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”