Searching for my roots... not that original, I know!

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

olgaileana

Searching for my roots... not that original, I know!

Post by olgaileana »

Hi everybody!
I just found the site and I am just delighted! I want to find my loooong lost relatives I know are out there. My grandparents, parents and uncles have long been dead but I know there is more.
Just some info, let's see if anything rings a bell:
I am the grandchild of Asturian immigrants to New York.
My grandfather: Federico Rodriguez (Peñafonte- I think), from Oviedo and Adela Alvarez (Fernández- I think).
My father: Manuel Frank Rodriguez Alvarez, born June 7, 1919
My uncles: Frank Manuel (no it's not a mistake) and Fred J (no idea what the J is for)
My Dad's uncles on my Grandmother's side (these are names I remember being mentioned some 40 years ago: Anton and Roxo.
My Dad's cousin: Alfred and Dolly (I believe thy're in Las Vegas)
If anyone knows even a tiny little bit of info, please, write!
You can write in English or Spanish.
Thanks,
Olga Lopez
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Olga!

If you do a search in the forum on "alvarez", "rodriquez", etc. (with and without accents), you'll find that some of the members have strong connections with these family names. You might want to use the email button (under each message) to contact authors who seem to know more.

---------------

¡Bienvenido, David!

Si haces una busqueda en el foro sobre "alvarez", "rodriquez", etc. (con y sin acentos) encontrarás que algunos de los socios tenian lazos con esas apellidos. Querrías usar el botón correo (abajo de cada mensaje) para contactar a los escritores quienes saben más.
zancañeru

Post by zancañeru »

Hi Olga, welcome to this forum. You grandparents surnames are very common in Spain, not only in Asturias. Peñafonte looks like Galician, rather than Asturian.

You mention someone called 'Roxo'. In Asturian, a 'Roxu' is a someone (male) with ginger hair. Do you have any idea which town they come from? You mention Oviedo (current capital of Asturias), but in those times Asturias used to be called 'Provincia de Oviedo' to add to the confusion.

Hola Olga, bienvenía a esti foru. Los apellíps de los tós buelos son bien comunes n'España, nun sólu n'Asturias. Peñafonte paézme gallegu más que asturianu.

Dixes daqué d'un 'Roxo'. N'asturianu, 'Roxu' é únu que tién el pelu d'esi color. ¿sabes d'onde eren los tos buelos? Jablas d'Uviéu (capital d'Asturias), peru n'aquellos tiempos llamábase a Asturias 'Provincia de Oviedo' pa jacélo más embarráu.
Jose Luis Celorio

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”