Role of women in Asturias - El papel de mujeres en Asturias

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Role of women in Asturias - El papel de mujeres en Asturias

Post by Art »

Has the role of women in Asturian culture changed significantly in the past 40 or so years?

I sense that Asturian (or maybe just Spanish) women and American women may have slightly different roles and behaviors in contemporary culture. I might be wrong, but Spanish women seem more professional overall and more "liberated." Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm just seeing a different kind of Americans compared to the few Asturians and Spaniards I meet.

I remember seeing some feminism in Spain during the 1980s, but it didn't seem a big thing. In the US, feminism was huge. It often seems as though feminism here in the US became so normative that it burned out or that there was a large (and somewhat successful) counter-reaction to it. Perhaps I just didn't see the influence of Spanish feminism.

How has the role of women changed in Asturias?

What factors caused the role of women in Asturian/Spanish culture to change? I'd guess that the death of Franco had some liberating influence. What else? Proximity to liberated Europe? American media?

Is it possible that the role of women changed in part because your government has more of a mandate to protect the citizens' social welfare than ours does? (It does seem that there is a bit more idealism in your governmental actions than ours. Of course, this changes over time in both of our countries. We're into an era of idealistic, pro-wealthy, "religious" fanatics.)

The roles of women in the US has changed dramatically. I believe the majority work outside the home and some have found their way (almost?) to the top of the power ladder. Today, women even buy more cars than men!

Of course, emotionally, we're still the same human beings we always were, so I'm not sure how much our relationships have changed. I suppose that many men now take much more active roles in childrearing, so that must change some of the family experience for women, too.

---------------

¿Ha cambiado considerablemente el papel de mujeres en la cultura asturiana en los 40 y tanto años últimos?

Detecto que las mujeres asturianas (o tal vez solamente españolas) y las mujeres americanas pueden tener papeles y comportamientos ligeramente diferentes en la cultura contemporánea. Es posible que me equivoco, pero las mujeres españolas me parecen más profesionales en general y más "liberadas". Desde luego, es completamente posible que solamente veo una clase diferente de americanos comparados a los pocos asturianos y españoles me encuentro.

Me acuerdo de ver algún feminismo en España durante los años 1980, pero no pareció una cosa grande. En los EE.UU. feminismo era enorme. A menudo me parece como si el feminismo aquí en los EE.UU. se hiciera tan normativo que se extinguió o que había una grande contrareacción a ello-- y que esta contrareacción ha logrado en parte. Quizás yo solamente no vea la influencia de feminismo español.

¿Cómo se ha cambiado el papel de mujeres de Asturias?

¿Cuales eran los factores que causaron el papel de mujeres estos cambios en la cultura asturiana/española? Adivinaría que la muerte de Franco tenía alguna influencia de liberación. ¿Qué más? ¿Proximidad a una Europa liberada? ¿Medios de comunicación americanos?

¿Es posible que el papel de mujeres se cambiara en parte porque vuestro gobierno tiene un mandato más fuerte para proteger el bienestar de los ciudadanos que tiene nuestro? (Realmente parece que hay un más idealismo en los acciones gubernamentales vuestras que las nuestras. Desde luego, todo éste cambia con tiempo en ambos de nuestros países. Estamos en una era de fanáticas que son idealistas, "religiosas", y a favor de los ricos.)

Los papeles de mujeres en EU se han cambiado radicalmente. Creo que la mayoría trabajan fuera de la casa y unas han alcanzada (¿casi?) a la cima de la escala de poder. ¡Hoy, las mujeres americanas aún compran más coches que los hombres!

Desde luego, emocionalmente, somos todavía los mismos seres humanos que siempre éramos, entonces no estoy seguro que nuestras relaciones han cambiado mucho. Supongo que muchos hombres ahora toman un papel mucho más activo en criar sus hijos, de modo que cambie un poco de la experiencia de la familia para mujeres, también.
Last edited by Art on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Asturias has always been a matriarchal society, with strong, tough and hardworking women. I honestly believe the Asturian women held a status of equality with their men and were respected by other family members and society at large like any man would. How could any man even think of considering women, who raised livestock, worked the fields, loaded coal trains, cooked, sewed, kept house, raised children and kept their husbands from drinking themselves to death to be inferior?
The workload has not changed much here, only the work is different. Women now get paid for working 8 to 10 hours a day, but the household chores are still theirs. Oddly enough, however, I perceive much more resentment and hostility in young men towards their female fellow-students or co-workers. Maybe it's just me, but the rising number of rapes and assaults are a fact, although I wouldn't dare say that the number of battered wives has increased, because there were no statistics on that 20 years ago.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asturias siempre ha sido una sociedad matriarcal con mujeres fuertes y duras que trabajaban muchísimo. Creo sinceramente que el estatus de las mujeres siempre fue de igualdad en cuanto a respeto por parte de la familia y el resto de la sociedad. ¿Cómo iban a pensar los hombres que una mujer que cuida del ganado, trabaja en el campo, carga vagones de carbón, cocina, cose, limpia, cría a su prole y procura que su marido no se mate bebiendo fuera a ser inferior?
Las cosas no han cambiado mucho en cuanto a la carga de trabajo, sólo que ahora se trabaja fuera de casa 8-10 horas y se cobra un sueldo, pero las tareas domésticas siguen siendo nuestras. Curiosamente, sin embargo, yo percibo mucha más hostilidad y resentimiento por parte de los hombres jóvenes hacia sus compañeras de estudios o trabajo.
A lo mejor son figuraciones mías, pero es un hecho que las violaciones y palizas han aumentado, aunque no me atrevo a decir que haya más esposas maltratadas, porque hace 20 años no había estadísticas de esto.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's interesting. Maybe with the globalization of culture, comes a less respect and more antagonism of men for women.

Your post reminded me that one older American man I know was very surprised by how women in Asturias didn't defer to the men in their family. I think it was too much equality for him.

-------------

Muy interesante. Puede ser con la globalización de cultura, va a venir a Asturias menos respeto y más antagonismo de hombres a mujeres.

Tu mensaje me hizo acordar que un hombre casí anciano sorprendía que las mujeres asturianas no defiren a los hombres de su familia. Para él, era demasiado igualdad, creo.
Sonia Garcia Mandzok

Post by Sonia Garcia Mandzok »

Growing up, I never understood when I would read that "Spanish" women were obsequious to men and had little authority in the home, because all of the Spanish women I knew were very strong women. They had no qualms about voicing their opinions and many worked outside of the home. The women ruled the roost in our community (Donora, PA).
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's interesting. I suspect there was wide variation in gender roles among Asturian/Spanish immigrant families.

Some have said that one of my relatives was very stern and controlling. He even told his wife who she could visit or have visit the house. They say that, in general, he didn't like people visiting. Supposedly when he was gone during the day she would sometimes make a discrete visit to a friend, but she'd tell the child accompanying her, "We have to hurry!"

Maybe he was afraid that the other women would influence his wife!

I get the sense that this man's mother--and perhaps his wife's father--were strongly dominant in their families of origin. The wife was a strong woman but died young.

Patterns like this are more than just interesting. There are costs (sometimes physical and even fatal) when one gives up self like to such a degree.

----------------

Muy interesante. Sospecho que había variación amplia en papeles géneros entre las familias de inmigrantes asturianos/españoles.

Unos han dicho que uno de mis parientes era muy severo y que mantenía a su familia bajo control. Él aún dijo a su esposa quién ella podría visitar o permitir visitar en casa. Dicen que, en general, no le gustó que otra gente visiten. ¡Supuestamente cuándo él fue a trabajar durante el día, ella a veces haría una visita discreta a una amiga, pero ella diría al niño que la acompaña, "tenemos que apresurarnos!"

¡Puede ser él temía que las otras mujeres influirían a su esposa!

Me parece que la madre de este hombre--y quizás el padre de su esposa--eran dominantes en sus familias de origen. La esposa del hombre era una mujer fuerte, pero murió jóven.

Un pauta como esto es más que interesante. Hay costas (a veces físicos y aún fatales) cuando una persona se entregue su yo ("self") a tal grado.
mdhsuarez

Post by mdhsuarez »

In our little Spanish-American community the women were also very strong, opinionated and respected. But, I have noticed that there are few photographs of them while I have many old photos of men and groups of men....wonder why? In my family, the definite "head" of the extended family is one particular tia, she is the 5th born child and 2nd girl, so birth order/gender doesn't seem to be important. She recently told me I would be taking her "role" when she is gone. I am one of the younger cousins so I think it boils down more to personality than anything. But, there were no shrinking violet type Spanish women relatives that I know of. In fact, my husband often refers to "those old Spanish ladies" with a mixture of fear and respect. He wouldn't dare cross one. Besides, he knows I am going to be one in a few years!
Marleen Menendez Suarez
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ha! Good for you!

I suppose that it's risky to extrapolate from what I know about my own family to the larger community. Still, the way you talk about the women in your family does remind me of my aunts.

------------

¡Ja! ¡Muy bien!

Supongo que sea riesgoso hacer una extrapolación de lo que sé de mi familia a la communidad en general. Pero bueno, tu descripción de las mujeres de tu familia me recuerda de mis tias.

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”